News on the Gulfwarsyndrome

Please visit this area and participate in various diffrent topics of discussion.
Saskia
Soldier
Your Gulf War Unit: Please add your Unit

News on the Gulfwarsyndrome

Post by Saskia » Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:12 am

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/uk.cfm?id=1326012004
Inquiry: Gulf War Syndrome does exist

GAVIN CORDON

AN independent inquiry into Gulf War illnesses today called on the Ministry of Defence finally to accept that thousands of veterans had suffered ill health as a result of the 1991 conflict.

The inquiry headed by the former law lord Lord Lloyd of Berwick said there was "every reason" to accept the existence of a "Gulf War syndrome".

It said the MoD - which has consistently denied the existence of a distinct syndrome affecting veterans - should now set up a special fund to pay compensation to veterans who suffered as a result of their service in the war to liberate Kuwait from Saddam Hussein.

Gulf war veterans today said the findings of the Lloyd Inquiry were better than even they had hoped for and called on the MoD to accept its findings without delay.

The report said all the scientific studies agreed Gulf veterans were twice as likely to suffer from ill health than if they had been deployed elsewhere.

It accepted the illnesses suffered by the veterans were likely to be due to a combination of causes - including multiple injections of vaccines, the use of organophosphate pesticides to spray tents, low-level exposure to nerve gas and the inhalation of depleted uranium dust.

While it said further research was needed, the inquiry said that was no reason for the MoD not to accept now that the illnesses were a result of service in the Gulf.

"Since the Gulf veterans were twice as likely to become ill as if they had stayed in the UK, the Government ought now, in fairness, and not before time, to accept that the illnesses of those who were deployed to the Gulf were caused by their deployment," the report said.

"May their illnesses be described as a syndrome? Yes. The symptoms are not unique. What is unusual is the extent and intensity of the symptoms. There is therefore every reason to call the illnesses by the label ‘Gulf War syndrome’."

The inquiry was set up at the request of Labour peer Lord Morris of Manchester, the parliamentary adviser to the Royal British Legion, after the MoD refused an official inquiry.

It took evidence from former personnel including the commander of the British forces in the Gulf, General Sir Peter de la Billiere, scientific experts and some 35 veterans or their families.

Lord Lloyd condemned the MoD’s failure to co-operate fully with his investigation.

"The MoD thus lost a valuable opportunity to start the process of reconciliation with the ill veterans, an opportunity which would have cost them nothing," he said.

About 6000 veterans, including former personnel from Lothian, are believed to be suffering from ill health.

Their problems have included cancers, motor neurone disease, chronic fatigue, skin rashes, traumatic stress and aching joints.

Tony Flint, of the National Gulf Veterans and Families Association, said the report conclusions justified what the veterans had been saying about Gulf War syndrome for years.

He said it was now time for the MoD to take heed of Lord Lloyd’s proposals and compensate the veterans for the illnesses they have suffered.

"The report was a lot better than I thought it was going to be," said Mr Flint. "And to have Gulf war syndrome recognised means a hell of a lot to us."

An MoD spokeswoman said: "Once we have had the opportunity to fully assess Lord Lloyd’s findings and recommendations, we will consider our response."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gulf War Syndrome Is Real, Says Report
By EMMA ROSS
AP Medical Writer
LONDON

A report on Gulf War syndrome released Wednesday urges the British government to acknowledge the illness is real and calls for compensation for veterans who became sick following the 1991 conflict.

The inquiry, led by retired senior judge Lord Lloyd of Berwick, was not commissioned by the government. It was set up at the request of Lord Morris of Manchester, the parliamentary adviser to the Royal British Legion, after the Ministry of Defense refused an official inquiry.

The panel refused to disclose who funded the report, saying the money was given on condition the source be kept secret.

Thousands of Gulf War veterans have experienced undiagnosed illnesses with symptoms such as chronic fatigue, loss of muscle control, diarrhea, migraines, dizziness, memory problems and loss of balance.

Suspected causes include stress, bacterial infection, chemical or biological weapons, pollutants from burning oil fields, depleted-uranium munitions and vaccinations for anthrax and other potential biological weapons.

For years, the U.S. and British governments denied the mysterious illnesses were linked to the war. However, both governments now acknowledge that at least some, but not all, of the sicknesses were due to wartime service. They say, however, that there is not enough evidence of a unique "Gulf War syndrome" with specific characteristics.

A U.S. government panel concluded in 1996 that combat-related stress was the most likely source of the illnesses, although it recommended pursuing other possible reasons.

Last week, a follow-up investigation by another U.S. government panel concluded that more recent studies suggest the illnesses are not caused simply by stress. It said there was a "probable link" between illnesses suffered by American veterans and exposure to toxins, including nerve gases such as sarin.

Several studies have consistently found veterans of the Gulf War are twice as likely to suffer illness as soldiers who didn't fight though they did not prove cause and effect.

"Since the Gulf veterans were twice as likely to become ill as if they had stayed in the U.K., the government ought now, in fairness, and not before time, to accept that the illnesses of those who were deployed to the Gulf were caused by their deployment," the report said.

The report recommended the government set up a special fund to compensate veterans who had suffered from the illnesses.

The British Ministry of Defense refused to allow serving officials or military personnel to testify before the Lloyd inquiry, but it did submit written evidence.

Lloyd's inquiry did hear testimony from the commander of the British forces in the Gulf, Gen. Peter de la Billiere, scientists and 35 veterans.

The Ministry of Defense said it intends to review the report and respond
The history of man is the history of crimes, and history can repeat. So information is a defense. Through this we can build, we must build, a defense against repetition.
Simon Wiesenthal
GwiNet
Recruit

Post by GwiNet » Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:32 pm

Hogwash...

To lump it all together and say Gulf War Syndrome is idiotic. If you think about it, we could go one step further and just call it Planet Earth Syndrome. Anyone with anything wrong that lives on Planet Earth could be at risk.

I would imagine the headline would read:

AN independent inquiry into Planet Earth's illnesses today called on the Ministry of Defence finally to accept that thousands of Humans had suffered ill health as a result of life on Earth.

The inquiry headed by the former law lord, Lord Lloyd of Berwick said there was "every reason" to accept the existence of a "Planet Earth syndrome".

It said the MoD - which has consistently denied the existence of a distinct syndrome affecting Humans - should now set up a special fund to pay compensation to Humans who suffered as a result of their life on earth.

Humans today said the findings of the Lloyd Inquiry were better than even they had hoped for and called on the MoD to accept its findings without delay.

The report said all the scientific studies agreed Humans were twice as likely to suffer from ill health than if they had lived elsewhere.

It accepted the illnesses suffered by the humans were likely to be due to a combination of causes - including multiple injections of vaccines, the use of organophosphate pesticides to spray tents, low-level exposure to nerve gas and the inhalation of depleted uranium dust.

While it said further research was needed, the inquiry said that was no reason for the MoD not to accept now that the illnesses were a result of living on earth.

"Since the Humans were twice as likely to become ill as if they had stayed in the womb, the Government ought now, in fairness, and not before time, to accept that the illnesses of those who were, born" the report said.

"May their illnesses be described as a syndrome? Yes. The symptoms are not unique. What is unusual is the extent and intensity of the symptoms. There is therefore every reason to call the illnesses by the label ‘Planet Earth syndrome’."

etc...

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:41 am

Gwinet, perhaps you should review the findings in this report,

http://www1.va.gov/rac-gwvi/page.cfm?pg=35

so hows does that foot in your mouth taste? :P :P

Hawk 8)
SFC(ret)John Asher

You poor stupid child

Post by SFC(ret)John Asher » Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:05 pm

I wish I knew more about you, and question your involvement in the Gulf War. My unit is almost all dead now from various unknown causes. My health is gone but I'm still kickin' and waving my flag for freedom. My brothers died over there with me and i don't appreciate your comments while you enjoy the blanket of freedom our vets provide. Wash the trash from your brain and be a part of the solution not part of the problem. I would love to buy you a cup of coffee, in person..... :x
GwiNet wrote:Hogwash...

To lump it all together and say Gulf War Syndrome is idiotic. If you think about it, we could go one step further and just call it Planet Earth Syndrome. Anyone with anything wrong that lives on Planet Earth could be at risk.

I would imagine the headline would read:

AN independent inquiry into Planet Earth's illnesses today called on the Ministry of Defence finally to accept that thousands of Humans had suffered ill health as a result of life on Earth.

The inquiry headed by the former law lord, Lord Lloyd of Berwick said there was "every reason" to accept the existence of a "Planet Earth syndrome".

It said the MoD - which has consistently denied the existence of a distinct syndrome affecting Humans - should now set up a special fund to pay compensation to Humans who suffered as a result of their life on earth.

Humans today said the findings of the Lloyd Inquiry were better than even they had hoped for and called on the MoD to accept its findings without delay.

The report said all the scientific studies agreed Humans were twice as likely to suffer from ill health than if they had lived elsewhere.

It accepted the illnesses suffered by the humans were likely to be due to a combination of causes - including multiple injections of vaccines, the use of organophosphate pesticides to spray tents, low-level exposure to nerve gas and the inhalation of depleted uranium dust.

While it said further research was needed, the inquiry said that was no reason for the MoD not to accept now that the illnesses were a result of living on earth.

"Since the Humans were twice as likely to become ill as if they had stayed in the womb, the Government ought now, in fairness, and not before time, to accept that the illnesses of those who were, born" the report said.

"May their illnesses be described as a syndrome? Yes. The symptoms are not unique. What is unusual is the extent and intensity of the symptoms. There is therefore every reason to call the illnesses by the label ‘Planet Earth syndrome’."

etc...
:x :x :x
STRAYKINGFISHER

Post by STRAYKINGFISHER » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:02 pm

Amen, I have been researching about the Gulfwar Syndrome and ran across this site: http://www.all-natural.com/riley.html telling about how our government knew about the chemical weapons in Iraq because they were the ones who sold the weapons to them, I personally want to know more about this Gulfwar Syndrome, will I die, will I infect others, what the heck is going on, I myself am fine, thank god, the only thing that I have is that my body is covered with dry patches that itch like crazy, especially in summer time, I have a girlfriend an I would like to know if it is possible for my condition to be sexually transmited to her, I will keep researching to find out, I gladly put my life on the line for my country and would do it again, but having read the article that I posted the link to, I have my doubts. I was an E-4 construction mechanic on NMCB 74 Seabees, stationed in Gulfport MS. I was there for Desert Shield and Desert Storm.

Post by 5811 » Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:01 am

What I want to know is the difference form unit to unit. I was there for Shield/Storm and no one in my Co. seems to have any side effects. 230 some people. The only thing I know for certain is that almost no one in my unit took those little white nerve agent pills. We had decided not to and that was reinforced when out Capt. told us he was supposed to witness us taking them and then did an about face. That was enough for us. All other pills and shots we took without complaint. Also it seems at a quick glance that a majority of the units that have real problems were form the southern US. Or did they just get all the press coverage?

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:18 pm

I've been battling with the VA for years about the things wrong with me that were not there before Desert Storm. Yea, little white pills; in one week our instructions on these pills went from Mandatory-to Voluntarily-to Do not take them anymore. This after taking them for almost two months. The VA just won't give in - I continue to battle on.

My wife gave birth to our son 2002, my first child. I was a nervous wreck, had nightmares of him being born missing limbs. Finally, as I watched and welcomed in to this world, I counted ten fingers and ten toes. He came out healthy and full of life. I am so releaved after all the horror stories about birth defects being as much as three times higher in Desert Storm vets.

One last thing, I sit and watch him sometime and wonder how old I'll be when this stuff finally gets the best of me. My uncle was in Nam, it finished him off before he 52, that's only twelve years away; my son will only be 14. That really worries me.
Liberty_Star

Gulf War Syndrome

Post by Liberty_Star » Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:32 pm

My husband suffers from an illness we believe he acquired in Desert Storm. He has memory lost, aching joints, migraines, depression from flashbacks (in his sleeps he talks about -something burning)he doesn't tell me what he is reliving. He does visit our VA, which helps some after my insurance, then we pay the rest . Even though he is denied that this is from the War, he would still to this day go back and fight for our freedom to express our individual right to agree or disagree with our country... God Bless America and our Troops

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:49 am

As a service connected disabled vet from desert shield/storm (it only took ten years of fighting the VA), I would like to give this advise to vets seeking compensation/service-connections. Don't go to VA doctors. Find good Dr's in the community who are familiar with war-related illnesses. May have to start with a psychiatrist and get referrals from there (I did). Get established diagnoses and treatment plans for your illness(s). Get those records transferred into your VA record. Then apply or re-apply for a comp and pens exam. (C&P) VA doctors will then have a hard time disputing other Dr's findings, and frankly, all Dr's do not like to condradict one another (makes Dr's look bad, can't have that). Good Luck and God Bless!
C.R.A.F.T.
Recruit

Post by C.R.A.F.T. » Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:08 am

I've had short-term memory problems, panic-attacks, and some "brown-outs."

I was afraid for my job if I went for any real treatment (I was in security in a nuclear power plant).

Now things have gotten bad enough that I can't ignore the problem.
Peace through Strength
dcmedic
Recruit

Losing funding for gulf war illness- injury

Post by dcmedic » Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:39 pm

Dear gulf war era veterans/supports

What is it that we want from DoD and VA?
Most of all to have our issues addressed!
The goal was to explain serious medical conditions affecting thousands
of GW vets whose sympthoms have been dismissed and ridiculed for
lack of understanding them.

One group which has pointed out where and how the exams and
program failures ocurred is "Desert Storm Battle Registry"
who has done investigative reporting on deployment exposures
and health/compensation delay, denials, and mis directions.

If it is health care or compensation issues,
we need the DAV, Am Vets, American Legion
or National Gulf War Recource Center to include
our remarks into the Committee meetings of
DHSD, Environmental Agents, IOM on Gulf War Health.

The information on these meetings are being hidden,
but these organization not posting notices/minutes to
their websites in a timely manner. Six months after the
fact, make particapation impossible.

The VA-Rac has delayed creatation of Gulf War Illness
Study Center for 2 years. The NSO represenatives who
sit on these Committees have been silent. Many veterans
don't know of the opportunites that the have lost.
"See GAO-05-903T Defense Health Care: Occupational and
Environmental Health Surveillance Needs Improvement."

Do you want the DOD (Ft Detreick) to control all deployment
health studies and protocals of care? Or would you like HHS
and Presidental Commissions to keep oversite powers to
Persian Gulf Registry, WRIISC, Veterans Disability Benefits Commission,
or Environmental Agents Registry (for OIF/OEF) ?

I demand sunshine and open dialoge on the care and compensation
for all veterans services. Close door committee meetings, with
NSO groups who do not post what is going on - is not what
veterans who have developed Leshmansis, DU exposure, MCS
Anthrax reaction illnesses; Early on set MS or ALS, Mild Brain Injuries
- who are currently fighting for service connection wanted.

If we dont want lose the progress that has been made and wish to
change policies for the better (PL 105-386 - title 38 ss 1117/1118 AUG 05)
Ref: 38 CFR 3.309 it is time to write your Congressman again and
tell them that PL 102-585 was created to monitored Gulf war Veterans
Health by agencies other that VA or DoD - like HHS. [2] We should not
lose $245 million of PL 105-368 for INDEPENDENT treatment center
due to inaction by
Military Health Veterans Coordination Board;
VA-Rearch Advisory Committee; DHSD
Deployment Health Support Directorate;
National Veterans Service Organizations;
National Gulf War Resource Center.

Your response is requested. Many of our programs is due to end in 2006!
Venus Hammack (ED) Desert Storm Justice Foundation
jagmedic@pgev.org