Where will you be on the 20th anniversary of Desert Storm?

Please visit this area and participate in various diffrent topics of discussion.
redfish
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 24th Infantry Division, 197th Infantry Brigage, 72 Engr Co.

Re: Where will you be on the 20th anniversary of Desert Stor

Post by redfish » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:16 am

That would be cool. We still got a fishin' trip to plan
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
197th Infantry 72 ENGR CO
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"
sgt Jake
Soldier
Your Gulf War Unit: Eagle Troop 3ACR

Post by sgt Jake » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:17 am

probably pop a couple extra trazadone and sleep through it
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
- J o h n S t e w a r t M i l l
Redmaxx
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.

Post by Redmaxx » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:49 pm

I am sure I will hoist a few at my local VFW.
B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.
SSR Platoon
Operation Desert Shield/Storm/Cease Fire 1990/1991
Redmaxx
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.

Post by Redmaxx » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:27 am

Yeah, I think that this is a lot of BS. We are the forgotten war.

Persian Gulf War Vets Not Forgotten
On this 20th anniversary, let’s remember the nearly 700,000 vets of 1991’s Operation Desert Storm.
January 07, 2011

Often in history, one war tends to overshadow another. To a certain extent, this has been the case with the Persian Gulf War. Sandwiched between Vietnam and the Iraq/Afghanistan wars, vets of 1991 are sometimes forgotten.

On the war’s 20th anniversary it is only appropriate that we commemorate the service and sacrifices of the Americans who evicted Saddam Hussein’s Iraq from Kuwait. No one questions the superb welcome home they received in the summer of 1991. But memories of that swift victory in Kuwait have faded over time.

Yet at VFW, this has never been the situation. Besides the 17 articles VFW magazine published in 1991, seven major features since have tracked developments regarding Gulf War illnesses. Two pieces provided a combat overview of the war and a review of its veterans. And a 10th anniversary special was published in 2001. Numerous items of relevant interest have appeared on the pages of Washington Wire.

After the homecoming events sponsored by VFW in Kansas City in 1991, VFW’s National Veterans Service continued to pursue answers to the questions surrounding what became known as “Gulf War Syndrome.” Without question, these mysterious medical maladies constitute the war’s enduring legacy for a significant number of veterans.

While pressing health concerns always take priority along with essential VA benefits, intangibles such as recognition are important, too. Medals, parades and memorials are all part of the package, but so is a proper place in history. Rightfully so, like all of their predecessors, Persian Gulf War vets want to be remembered for achieving something meaningful.

Whether in the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force or Coast Guard, each and every veteran of Desert Storm played a part in a history-making event. Some 695,000 Americans served in the Kuwait Theater of Operations during the buildup and war. A total of 146 died by hostile action and another 228 from accidental causes, with 467 wounded.

Despite its mercifully short duration, the war was a model military operation. Political decisions bearing on the ultimate outcome are no reflection on the troops. They accomplished their objectives without fail and on schedule. That is what should be remembered 20 years later and into the future.

This month’s commemorative issue of VFW magazine provides a glimpse of what took place in Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Iraq, their offshore waters and airspace. A few units, actions and individuals have been selected to represent the whole. A book or books only can present the full picture. Nonetheless, this issue will provide a feel for the service of yet another generation of war vets.

Persian Gulf War veterans have long since joined VFW ranks. They are Post and Department commanders, as well as full-time VFW employees (see page 26 of VFW magazine). They are destined to leave their mark on the organization.
B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.
SSR Platoon
Operation Desert Shield/Storm/Cease Fire 1990/1991
Redleg13f2h
Soldier
Your Gulf War Unit: HHB 2/1 FA 1ST AD

Post by Redleg13f2h » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:13 pm

Gawd! 20 years already!

I may hit up the VFW. Will definitely be thinking of all with a sip of the Glenfiddich.
HHB 2/1 FA 1ST AD, 4/70 AR FIST, Pinder Brrks 90-91
260th FA DET FIST/ Air Assault Instructor, Fort Rucker 91-92
HHT 2/11 ACR, Wildflecken 92-93
HHB 1/5 FA 1ST ID, Fort Riley 93-94
HHB 1/119 FA, 3/126 AAS, Michigan National Gaurd 94-97
ChrisM106
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: 2/504 PIR, 82nd ABN DIV

Post by ChrisM106 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:00 pm

I took my wife and kids to Arlington National Cemetery today.