ptsd med info

Please visit this area and participate in various diffrent topics of discussion.
jftbus
Recruit

ptsd med info

Post by jftbus » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:47 am

I have ptsd and was recently put on some meds that i would like some info on if anyone has any. They are trazodone, sertraline. I have looked them up on-line but i was wanting to see if any else takes these meds and do they help? I really dont like to take meds, but my family deserves it! Also would like to thank this web site for the ability to reach out to each oter THANK YOU!!!!
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 2nd Brigade 1st Infantry Division

Re: ptsd med info

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:21 am

Trazadone is my friend...can you say Friend? I take one most nights about an hour before hitting the bed and I am able to sleep through most of the night. Don't take one early in the day or you may feel sluggish all day.

I also take Sertraline (Zoloft) along with Buproprion (Wellbutrin) for my Depression/PTSD and between the two I am calmed down a lot more than I used to be. I think the Sertraline also has a side effect of appetite suppresion. The VA calls the combo of these two drugs Well-Off.
Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
(12/91 - present) - miss the service
(9/90 - 12/91) 2nd Bde 1st Infantry Division - Desert Shield / Desert Storm Combat VET
(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET
(4/88 - 9/88) AIT Fort Gordon, Ga
(12/87 - 3/88) Basic Training Fort Jackson, SC
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell
"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton
redfish
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 24th Infantry Division, 197th Infantry Brigage, 72 Engr Co.

Post by redfish » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:32 am

There are many meds out there. stay away from Benzo's like Xanax. That used to be the med back in 92-95 or so. But, they act like alcohol in your system. Makes ya worse. The key to the meds is to find the right ones and the right combination. There are MANY side affects possible. It is not uncommon to have to change several times before you get the right combination. Citalopram made me suicidal, Buspar made me dizzy, seroquel knocked me out even in tiny doses and Zoloft did away with my libido. Find the one that works for you but definitely get religious about taking it because they make all the difference. My family can vouch for it.
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
197th Infantry 72 ENGR CO
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"
jftbus
Recruit

Post by jftbus » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:29 am

thanks you guys i have just been worried about taking meds because of the pills i got in desert storm. Ive been wondering if they may be a problem with some of my issues. I plan to stay on top of these meds to see if they make a difference. So far so good. Thanks again you all!!!!
lmsnh
Vet
Your Gulf War Unit: 400th MP BN, 800th MP Bde

Post by lmsnh » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:45 am

I take 100mg of Trazidone at night, it helps but I still wake up a few times but it does seem to take the edge off of my anxiety. I also take Prozac, 40mg, and that has been the best for the depression and anger so far. I tried Wellbutrin for about 2 months and I developed ringing in my ears, that has gotten worse since I stopped. I told the VA doc that it may have been a coinicidence or the med just pushed the part-time ringing into full time. It is a side affect of the drug, and many other anti depressants, I filed for C/P for that too.

I'm not a fan of taking meds either jftbus but if it keeps me from throwing things at the walls in the house and breaking things from rage attacks then I am all for it!
Little Sis,

SFC Lynn M. Santosuosso
U.S. Army
VFW Post 1772
Desert Shield/Storm 1990-1991,
400th MP BN, 800th MP Bde

Ft Dix, NJ BCT, 1980
Lowry AFB Denver, CO, 1981
Ft Benning, GA, 1983
Ft Devens, MA, 1985
Ft Meade, MD, 1990
76th Div, USAR. 1992-1997
redfish
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by redfish » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:12 am

Rispiridone 0.5 mg four times a day has been what works for me. I've not heard anyone or read anything about any medications reacting with the PB we took 20 years ago. Two years ago, you couldn't hardly get me to take tylenol. Now, I better be on my meds or I act like lil' sis. :lol:

I went after a guy who didn't wait his turn at a stop sign. Amongst numerous other outbursts that continue if I'm off my meds.
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"
ballard390
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: Please add your Unit

Post by ballard390 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:12 pm

I like the Trazadone. Like said below if you find the right mix it works well.
desert shield/storm
HHB 2/7 fort bliss
5 jump chump
Fort Gordon
ballard390
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: Please add your Unit

Post by ballard390 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:39 pm

I meant above....lol
desert shield/storm
HHB 2/7 fort bliss
5 jump chump
Fort Gordon
gulfwarghost
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: TF 8-43 VII Corps

Post by gulfwarghost » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:13 pm

Here's something new I'm not seeing in the posts. I got put on lamotrigine for 'mood stabilizer' then aripiprazole (Abilify) which is an anti-psychotic. Then for the side effects from the Abilify doubled the Abilify and gave me benztropine mesylate to ward off the side effects from the Abilify. Now I'm extremly tired all day. Compared to you guys I feel a tad like a guinea pig. I'm at a VAMC right now.... anybody with any thoughts?
redfish
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by redfish » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:45 pm

I have been on as many as 5 meds at one time. Then I became terribly suicidal. Every time I went back to the VA I got a higher dose or a new med. I went into the hospital for a week in the psych ward. The dropped my meds to 1 med. An anti psychotic mood stabilizer. It was not enough. They quadrupled the frequency and it made me way drowsy unable to function. I was already borderline at work so that was it... quit or be fired. After several months out of work, depression set in. Now I'm also on welbutrin. Feel ya man. Tough road I know.
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"
gulfwarghost
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: TF 8-43 VII Corps

Post by gulfwarghost » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:52 pm

Update: So the benztropine with 20 mg of Abilify (which supposedly works with the Lamotrigine) got me horrid tired, my eyes look like I'm massive stoned, and depression was setting in. SO, visited my 'nurse practitioner' who said "Whoa" and have currently discontinued both the benztropine and the Lamotrigine, AND halved the Abilify to nothing by next week. So when I go to the psychiatrist next week I'll be off of everything. Then with support from my nurse practitioner will beg for only one pill. Zoloft for depression.
Will keep ya updated.
Bakaruda
Soldier
Your Gulf War Unit: D co 4th BN 66th Armor 3rd ID

Post by Bakaruda » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:06 pm

I go to the Vet center in Fort Worth. The meds are something I am trying to stay off of. I go for a 1 hour visit every 3 weeks. There is a group that is starting up after the first of the year. If anyone would like more info look them up or email me.
Sgt Cary W. Snyder
D 6th Training BN Fort Sill OK. 9/83-2/84
D btry 2-61 ADA Camp Staton Korea 2/84-3/85
C Company 2/47 Inf Fort Lewis WA. 3/85-8/86
HHC 2/72 Armor Camp Casey Korea 8/86-8/87
A Company 9th Cav. Fort Knox KY. 8/87-7/89
HHC 4/66 Armor 3rd ID Ready Kaserne Germany 8/89-5/92
D Company 4/66 Armor Desert Storm 12/90-5/91
A Company 2/187 INF Fort Campbell KY. 5/92-2/94
Once a Soldier Always a Soldier!!!!!!!!!!
xrammyx
Vet
Your Gulf War Unit: 1st Armored Division HHB 6/3 ADA

Post by xrammyx » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:28 am

gulfwarghost wrote:Update: So the benztropine with 20 mg of Abilify (which supposedly works with the Lamotrigine) got me horrid tired, my eyes look like I'm massive stoned, and depression was setting in. SO, visited my 'nurse practitioner' who said "Whoa" and have currently discontinued both the benztropine and the Lamotrigine, AND halved the Abilify to nothing by next week. So when I go to the psychiatrist next week I'll be off of everything. Then with support from my nurse practitioner will beg for only one pill. Zoloft for depression.
Will keep ya updated.
I just got off venlafaxine and going on zoloft, let me know what it does for you, I am still waiting for mine in the mail...
HHB 6/3 ADA
Schwabach, Germany
Desert Shield/Storm