Gulf War Review

Please visit this area and participate in various diffrent topics of discussion.
xrammyx
Vet
Your Gulf War Unit: 1st Armored Division HHB 6/3 ADA

Re: Gulf War Review

Post by xrammyx » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:31 pm

redfish wrote:Got mine the other day. Gave it a look and #$!$ canned it. They were so indifferent and apathetic in the early 90's it ain't right. They pissed me off enough by '94 I never went back until last year. Why would I have anything in my file from then? It's all BS.
I did the same thing, i did not go back until 2000 and still another six years to get anything from the VA...yes its all BS
HHB 6/3 ADA
Schwabach, Germany
Desert Shield/Storm
FA1SGret
Lifer
Your Gulf War Unit: 3rd Bn 17th Field Artillery

Post by FA1SGret » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:04 am

I just posted my story in another heading, but yes a lot of it is just beauracracy (sp?). Too much overhead and not enough caring on the individual level ... and those that do care and try are stifled by the rules, regulations, and policies.

Dagger makes a good point though ... at least they haven't completely forgotten about it ... They don't do a Just Cause anniversary.
Desert Shield/Desert Storm/Cease Fire
3rd Bn 17th Field Artillery
210th FA Bde
DS (OPCON) 3/2 ACR, GS 1 ID
FIRE MISSION!
redfish
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 24th Infantry Division, 197th Infantry Brigage, 72 Engr Co.

Post by redfish » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:29 am

True..They came through for me this time so they have improved to some extent.
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
197th Infantry 72 ENGR CO
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"
delta197wife
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: Please add your Unit

Post by delta197wife » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:17 am

I have heard many of you at some point or another mention that you saw VA early on and then grew frustrated and angry and never went back.
I want tell you a story of an honorable young man who entered the army at 21 yrs of age because he was from a very poor farm family and the army offered 3 square meals a day and a roof over his head. (LOL) He went to Korea as a tanker. After a few months his tank ran over a mine and he was only survivor. However he suffered severe head trauma and spent weeks in MASH unit and hospital in Seoul before even being sent back to states because he could not be moved. After recuperating, time in service was up and war was over by then so he was honorably discharged from army. Still a young man, he married, got a job on road crew building roads and bridges. But suffered crippling migraines, memory loss, and many other symptoms of cognitive dysfunction. He was a fighter so he just pushed through. He and his young wife bought a farm and began raising their family. He visited the VA many times early on and told them he was suffering and could not keep his job with the road crew because of his pain but instead of increasing his disability they cut it from the 50% he was discharged with to 10%. He grew angry and frustrated and stopped going to VA for healthcare.
He ran a farm and raised 6 children over the next almost 50 or so years, some days unable to lift his head and his wife and children would all pitch in when he was ill.
Then his wife died suddenly and no one to care for him anymore, so his family began to seek the benefits he had so long deserved. 50 yrs later, after his children are no longer dependents and his wife is deceased, he was awarded 100% disability within 1 yr of his final application.

This man is my father and I love him dearly!!

Keep fighting and enlist anyone and everyone you can to help you. My dad had letters from Congressmen, drs, insurance agents, lawyers,whoever would write a letter was included withhis application.
redfish
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by redfish » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:34 am

Very nice story. Thank you for sharing. Your father is an inspiration to us all.
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"
FA1SGret
Lifer

Post by FA1SGret » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:34 am

That's what I try to do ... keep up the fight ... keep pushing for care ... "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" type shit
210th FA Bde
FIRE MISSION!
redfish
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by redfish » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:38 am

I'll have to do the same. Did you go to the WRIISC? I'll be outta work next month.
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"
FA1SGret
Lifer

Post by FA1SGret » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:51 am

Yes I did go to the WRIISC. Had to fight to get the referral, but I got it. The VA pays all transportation costs. The only thing you have to provide is your meals.

I think everyone ought to go ... for know other reason than to provide another data point for the research.

In my specific case, it helped break a deadlock between me and my VA hospital.
210th FA Bde
FIRE MISSION!
redfish
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by redfish » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:02 am

I'm hoping to get some answers. I plan to go. Working on the referral. My doc wonders if I'm having micro-siezures undiagnosed causing my extreme mood swings from chemical exposure. Or, if I suffered an undiagnosed brain injury that day of the trailer fire causing all this. So we are gonna go.
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"
delta197wife
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: Please add your Unit

Post by delta197wife » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:03 pm

redfish,

You mentioned extreme mood swings and my hubby also has lots of highs and lows. He has reactive hypoglycemia and when he was drinking heavily it was a major issue for him. When he takes in a huge carbohydrate load, his blood sugar spikes (sugar high) , insulin levels then spike to compensate. But blood sugar comes down too fast and too much and he crashes (very irritable & withdrawn). Ironically, my middle daughter also struggles with this also and still think it stems from some type of exposure but don't know for sure. Severe low blood sugar can trigger seizures, and most drs don't test for hypoglycemia in a non-diabetic person, but I was a very squeaky wheel when it came to my daughter's diagnosis. She had a glucose tolerance test and nearly fainted in the dr office because her blood sugar levels were very low after 3 hrs. Drs ususally only take readings at 1 & 2 hrs. I had known since she was 2 yrs old that she became hypoglycemic if she fasted too long but was ignored. My hubby was diag after our daughter, and likely because of her history.

When he is careful about eating a balanced diet and not too much caffeine, the hypoglycemia is better.

I'm not saying this is the answer but it helps to keep a diary of everything you are eating, drinking, meds u r taking, and how much sleep u r getting to see if any patterns emerge. I know that is the last thing you want ot do is more documenting, but it only takes a few days to get an idea.
redfish
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by redfish » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:04 am

My anger is rage and is flashy and irrational. Driving along talking and explode, spin the steering wheel and try to drag some guy out of his car because he didnt wait his turn at the stop sign. Go off about a ghost here at home and run outside to get away from my wife and kids, explode through the glass storm door sending glass everywhere and run down to the creek screaming AHHHHHH and smash limbs and rocks wishing they were heads and bodies all because I felt a little girl touch me that wasn't there. She was dead on the highway.... Here some loud bangs while I'm out side and get startled and burst into tears while I'm in the garden because I remember back..... Watching TV and a commercial comes on a scene of an explosion in a desert puts me back and I cry or it sends me into a rage and I sweep the lamp across the room and scream about cutting their heads off.. All out of the blue. It has had a terrible impact on all of my family. I struggle.... I hide at work from everybody in a little room in our department. I've had confrontations but have maintained. Scared to death I'll lose it there. Some days, I just can't face people for fear of it all.

I will look into hypoglycemia. I'm sure at the WRIISC facility they will check that too. Thanx for the info
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"
xrammyx
Vet
Your Gulf War Unit: 1st Armored Division HHB 6/3 ADA

Post by xrammyx » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:27 am

I keep wondering something, im here at the VA in cincy moved up from Texas...working with the people there about making the transition back to civilian world (which i tried to do 20 years ago) and hoping to find a job...what I am wondering, what do they say when you tell them holy cow I have tried to find a job and its just not working, I have tried many situations and what happens I explode and just quit.

What do you tell the social worker that is desperately hard on you to find a job? blow up at her? f*ck im in pain all the time, my head is spinning, im going blind in one eye and they want me to go out and look for a job? guys help me here, what should I do?
HHB 6/3 ADA
Schwabach, Germany
Desert Shield/Storm
redfish
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by redfish » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 am

DAV bro, veterans rep at county administration office get some help shoving the VA. Change docs change VA's. File claims, file appeals. get documentation. Be open with them.... I don't know if any of this helps. Hope so
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"