New VA PTSD Claim Rules

Please visit this area and participate in various diffrent topics of discussion.
wmebert
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: Dco 3/327th Inf 101st Airborne Division

New VA PTSD Claim Rules

Post by wmebert » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:27 am

This may be the wrong forum to post this in but it seems like the most active.

What "Official" information from the VA have you all found? I've done some googling but everything I find is from news sources as opposed to the "Horse's Mouth".
CSC 1/87 Inf, 8th ID, Baumholder, GE 81-83
CSC 4/9 Inf, HHC 1/9 Inf, 7th ID Fort Ord, CA 83-87
CSC 1/506th Inf, 2nd ID, Camp Greaves, ROK 87-88
Army Recruiter, 100 Oaks Mall, Nashville, TN 88-90
D Co. 3/327th Inf. 101st ABN, Fort Campbell, KY Desert Shield/Desert Storm 90-92
Various USAR & NG Units 1992-2004 AR, OH, PA
lmsnh
Vet
Your Gulf War Unit: 400th MP BN, 800th MP Bde

Re: New VA PTSD Claim Rules

Post by lmsnh » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:59 am

This is from the VA website:

VA Simplifies Access to Health Care and Benefits for Veterans with PTSD

July 12, 2010
Printable Version
Need Viewer Software?

WASHINGTON – Secretary of Veterans Affairs Eric K. Shinseki announced a critical step forward in providing an easier process for Veterans seeking health care and disability compensation for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), with the publication of a final regulation in the Federal Register.

“This nation has a solemn obligation to the men and women who have honorably served this country and suffer from the often devastating emotional wounds of war,” said Secretary of Veterans Affairs Eric K. Shinseki. “This final regulation goes a long way to ensure that Veterans receive the benefits and services they need.”

By publishing a final regulation in the Federal Register to simplify the process for a Veteran to claim service connection for PTSD, VA reduces the evidence needed if the trauma claimed by a Veteran is related to fear of hostile military or terrorist activity and is consistent with the places, types, and circumstances of the Veteran’s service.

This science-based regulation relies on evidence that concluded that a Veteran’s deployment to a war zone is linked to an increased risk of PTSD.

Under the new rule, VA would not require corroboration of a stressor related to fear of hostile military or terrorist activity if a VA doctor confirms that the stressful experience recalled by a Veteran adequately supports a diagnosis of PTSD and the Veteran's symptoms are related to the claimed stressor.

Previously, claims adjudicators were required to corroborate that a non-combat Veteran actually experienced a stressor related to hostile military activity. This final rule simplifies the development that is required for these cases.

VA expects this rulemaking to decrease the time it takes VA to decide access to care and claims falling under the revised criteria. More than 400,000 Veterans currently receiving compensation benefits are service connected for PTSD. Combined with VA’s shorter claims form, VA’s new streamlined, science-based regulation allows for faster and more accurate decisions that also expedite access to medical care and other benefits for Veterans.

PTSD is a medically recognized anxiety disorder that can develop from seeing or experiencing an event that involves actual or threatened death or serious injury to which a person responds with intense fear, helplessness or horror, and is not uncommon among war Veterans.

Disability compensation is a tax-free benefit paid to a Veteran for disabilities that are a result of -- or made worse by -- injuries or diseases associated with active service.

For additional information, go to www.va.gov or call VA’s toll free benefits number at 1-800-827-1000.

There is some discussion, however, that youi have to see a VA shrink even though yoiu may have someone that youi like and trust on the "outside". That would be my case. I have been working with someone who is helping me through EMDR and I like working with her. I don't trust the VA docs, atleast not upp my way.
We'll see what happens.
Little Sis,

SFC Lynn M. Santosuosso
U.S. Army
VFW Post 1772
Desert Shield/Storm 1990-1991,
400th MP BN, 800th MP Bde

Ft Dix, NJ BCT, 1980
Lowry AFB Denver, CO, 1981
Ft Benning, GA, 1983
Ft Devens, MA, 1985
Ft Meade, MD, 1990
76th Div, USAR. 1992-1997
wmebert
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: Dco 3/327th Inf 101st Airborne Division

Post by wmebert » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:24 pm

I was originally diagnosed with PTSD in February of 1999 by a Dr. at the VA Medical Center in Batavia, NY. I've been under the care of the VA in Allentown, PA since 2001 when I moved back home. I even spent 3 days at the Wilkes Barre VA Hospital for PTSD related issues back in September of 2005. Combine that with the fact that I was an Army Infantry SSG/E6 with the 101st Airborne in Desert Storm and earned the Combat Infantrymans Badge I should have a pretty good chance at finally getting some compensation.

Not "counting my chickens before they hatch" tho. Will have to wait & see what happens.
CSC 1/87 Inf, 8th ID, Baumholder, GE 81-83
CSC 4/9 Inf, HHC 1/9 Inf, 7th ID Fort Ord, CA 83-87
CSC 1/506th Inf, 2nd ID, Camp Greaves, ROK 87-88
Army Recruiter, 100 Oaks Mall, Nashville, TN 88-90
D Co. 3/327th Inf. 101st ABN, Fort Campbell, KY Desert Shield/Desert Storm 90-92
Various USAR & NG Units 1992-2004 AR, OH, PA
lmsnh
Vet

Post by lmsnh » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:44 pm

Here is the official document from the Federal Register:

http://frwebgate3.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bi ... n=retrieve

This will spell out EVERYTHING!

I too was diagnosed back in 2000, however, I was never told that and I was never told that it was recommended that I recieve counseling. I found this all out 4 months ago when I went digging into my VA records. They had the info but did nothing with it. I have my claim in now for PTSD.

I would get my claim in ASAP if I were you because the flood gates are going to open!
Little Sis,

SFC Lynn M. Santosuosso
U.S. Army
VFW Post 1772

Ft Dix, NJ BCT, 1980
Ft Benning, GA, 1983
Ft Devens, MA, 1985
Ft Meade, MD, 1990
FA1SGret
Lifer
Your Gulf War Unit: 3rd Bn 17th Field Artillery

Post by FA1SGret » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:09 am

I Agree, you gotta claim it to get it.
Desert Shield/Desert Storm/Cease Fire
3rd Bn 17th Field Artillery
210th FA Bde
DS (OPCON) 3/2 ACR, GS 1 ID
FIRE MISSION!
redfish
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 24th Infantry Division, 197th Infantry Brigage, 72 Engr Co.

Post by redfish » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:09 am

I'm with Top. You guys gotta put in a claim. I was diagnosed with PTSD in '93. They threw meds at me and walked off. Been hell since. Finally last year, it exploded and I had to have some help. I also got help with my claim. You gotta go to your county administration office and see the veterans rep. Or, go to the DMV. Back in '93 the VA scoffed at me and I got a 0% rating. I filled out the paper work on my own.

The biggest thing they want is a stressor letter and an incident form. They want to know what incident you were involved in and who all was killed or injured. They will send you a letter stating fear of or smell of death does not count as an incident, etc.. You need to name names and places best you can recall. ( I had to look mine up and ask friends). They want to know what event caused you to have PTSD and why and how you fell about it.

I felt guilty about it for years because we were only in Iraq a short time compared to my father and his brothers who all spent at least 2 tours in "Nam. I learned though it only takes one incident to cause PTSD. And a number of other variables have been theorized but not proven. Point is this: get help with your claim from people who know what you need to file and what you need to include to get results.

Good luck. Ask on this site if you need more help that we can give.
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
197th Infantry 72 ENGR CO
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"
lmsnh
Vet

Post by lmsnh » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:56 am

Redfish is correct in saying get help. Even though the new rules don't require the corroboration as before it may take some VA reps awhile to catch on to what the new rules really mean.

By the way, the link I posted the other day is a little hicky, this will get you to the site and the PTSD ruling http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/multidb.cgi

Good luck and let us all know how your individual battle is going. No pun intended...
Little Sis,

SFC Lynn M. Santosuosso
U.S. Army
VFW Post 1772

Ft Dix, NJ BCT, 1980
Ft Benning, GA, 1983
Ft Devens, MA, 1985
Ft Meade, MD, 1990
lmsnh
Vet

Post by lmsnh » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:59 am

DANG! I take that back, use this one and type in PTSD. SORRY!!
http://www.gpoaccess.gov/fr/
Little Sis,

SFC Lynn M. Santosuosso
U.S. Army
VFW Post 1772

Ft Dix, NJ BCT, 1980
Ft Benning, GA, 1983
Ft Devens, MA, 1985
Ft Meade, MD, 1990
FA1SGret
Lifer

Post by FA1SGret » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:26 pm

Yeah know, this is what is makes this site really worth it for me ... seeing people sharing knowledge and experience.

Cool folks ... just cool.
210th FA Bde
FIRE MISSION!
redfish
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by redfish » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:22 pm

My thoughts exactly Top
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"
FA1SGret
Lifer

Post by FA1SGret » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:46 pm

Aint it cool? Just plain COOL!
210th FA Bde
FIRE MISSION!
redfish
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by redfish » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:14 am

I get a lot out of this site. Appreciate everybody.
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"
xrammyx
Vet
Your Gulf War Unit: 1st Armored Division HHB 6/3 ADA

Post by xrammyx » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:24 pm

great thread, I hope everyone is going back to reopen an old claim, and submit new and material evidence to reopen your claim...the government has messed with us veterans for many years and now after so many years they are finally believing...but still a long way off tho...at least its better than what it was in the 90's, man it was sooo screwed up back then, like one poster said, they threw pills at you and sent you home and that was in Texas...I pray that this opens eyes in the government that many are really messed up and need help!!!
HHB 6/3 ADA
Schwabach, Germany
Desert Shield/Storm
112SecurityPolice
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: 112th Security Police - T.A.C.

Post by 112SecurityPolice » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:14 pm

Thanks again for the info. I was stationed in Egypt during the war(Cairo West) so the VA was trying to say that I wasn't a Desert Storm Veteran. :(

We weren't allowed to fly there directly from Germany however, and had to go through Saudi(during Desert Shield). The Appeals Court then ruled that I "was" a veteran after all, since I was in the AO. 8)

With that hurdle cleared, I was diagnosed with PTSD in 1995 and have been fighting the VA ever since. Hopefully, with the change in the rules, I'll see some relief. :idea:
xrammyx
Vet
Your Gulf War Unit: 1st Armored Division HHB 6/3 ADA

Post by xrammyx » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:15 pm

112SecurityPolice wrote:Thanks again for the info. I was stationed in Egypt during the war(Cairo West) so the VA was trying to say that I wasn't a Desert Storm Veteran. :(

We weren't allowed to fly there directly from Germany however, and had to go through Saudi(during Desert Shield). The Appeals Court then ruled that I "was" a veteran after all, since I was in the AO. 8)

With that hurdle cleared, I was diagnosed with PTSD in 1995 and have been fighting the VA ever since. Hopefully, with the change in the rules, I'll see some relief. :idea:
Good luck just keep at it, it will come out on your end soon
HHB 6/3 ADA
Schwabach, Germany
Desert Shield/Storm