FOR THE 20th ANNIVERSARY

Please visit this area and participate in various diffrent topics of discussion.
lmsnh
Vet
Your Gulf War Unit: 400th MP BN, 800th MP Bde

Re: FOR THE 20th ANNIVERSARY

Post by lmsnh » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:41 am

Congratulations Dagger! You won the BOHICA contest... :D

Our BN Colonel named the temporary encampment.
Little Sis,

SFC Lynn M. Santosuosso
U.S. Army
VFW Post 1772
Desert Shield/Storm 1990-1991,
400th MP BN, 800th MP Bde

Ft Dix, NJ BCT, 1980
Lowry AFB Denver, CO, 1981
Ft Benning, GA, 1983
Ft Devens, MA, 1985
Ft Meade, MD, 1990
76th Div, USAR. 1992-1997
haze
Senior Vet
Your Gulf War Unit: 72nd. ENGR. CO. 197TH INF. BDE. 24TH INF

Post by haze » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:19 pm

dagger,
there was a kfc there?!!!! 8O ,onlt thang we got was chow hall at the towers, an arab roadside food. course i was stuck loading the ships to bring back our equipment for 3 weeks. not much time there to check out much, load, eat, sleep. did make it into town twice ,i think. been along time now....
72nd. ENGR. CO.
197th. INF. BDE(m)(s)
24th. INF.DIV
18th AIRBORNE CORPS
SAPPERS FORWARD!
redfish
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 24th Infantry Division, 197th Infantry Brigage, 72 Engr Co.

Post by redfish » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:35 pm

I spent the whole time at the damn wash rack too haze! Then we had that hamburger stand was all. I remember being glad to be there. Like top said not too long ago, you could still be in a hole in the ground.
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
197th Infantry 72 ENGR CO
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"
THELOUISIANAEXPLORER
Author of Desert Burning
Your Gulf War Unit: Please add your Unit

Post by THELOUISIANAEXPLORER » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:29 pm

YOU GUYS ARE GREAT, ALLWAYS WERE AND ALLWAYS WILL BE!!!!!! I think I have hogged this site too much. You guys are the ones that need to be sharing memories; not me. Dagger, thanks for the initial response and when my book hits Amazon and Barnes and Noble I'll post one more time and let you know. Name is "Desert Burning" but dont' expect tanks and tracks and a lot of that, this one is about the civilians over there. I wanted to do everyhting I could to make sure that you guys had the respect that you deserved and I worked with groups back in good ole Farmerville, Louisiana to get people to write and make sure the troops coming home had the proper reunion. I am also a veteran, but of an earlier war. Spent 4 years in the Navy. Tour of Nam on the Saratoga and three years in the Bees. Dropped out of college while playing football and two deferments to proudly serve our country. Then when back in college I joined the Army National guard. My material man in Saudi was a great guy. Seemed gentle, quiet and allways had a smile. Everything I needed he got. Years later a good friend and former British SAS, Bill simes, told me that he had been a combat recon marine in Nam. He dreamed of visiting Washington when he returned from Nam. He was riding on a bus going through Washington and the bus stopped. A woman walked by to get off and looked at him in his uniform, stopped and spit on him. My heart broke when I heard that and I almost wept and I knew that this must never happen again. Again, I thank you for the sacrifice you did and appreciate you saving our bacon. As an FYI, on 9 11 we were attacked. My son dropped out of college and joined the Army. Months later he rode into Baghdad with the 2 calvary from Fort Polk just two weeks before the "end" of the war. How proud I was of him, even though he now has the problem sleeping. THANK YOU ALL AND GOD BLESS!!!!!!!!!!!
kansasvet
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: 4/5 Field Artillery

Post by kansasvet » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:41 pm

The reunion is next week in Dallas. I will be there.
More info on the ngwrc site.
haze
Senior Vet

Post by haze » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:54 pm

wished that we all could go to the reunion....i can"t body could"nt take the trip, also va appoitments that friday. :(
the 24th inf, div. was"t to far from bagdad in 91, but the higher ups stopped us , i think when they realized where we was. our commanding general wanted it bad.
sleep comes hard for alot of us... i might get 2 hrs. a nite now, if i"m lucky.
have your boy talk to somebody about not sleeping now......don"t wait till it gets real bad for him. alot of us did, including me.....guilt, an the feeling that its just you, or that you can handle it on your own, without help, also a mans pride also keeps alot of people from saying anything.....i"m guilty of all these things.
be sure you lets us know when the book comes out. and THANK YOU SIR,
72nd. ENGR. CO.
197th. INF. BDE(m)(s)
24th. INF.DIV
18th AIRBORNE CORPS
SAPPERS FORWARD!
Rickey Nelson
Senior Vet
Your Gulf War Unit: 1087th Trans Co.

Post by Rickey Nelson » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:24 pm

THELOUISIANAEXPLORER I'm am only a couple hours away from you. I live in Natchez MS. I was in the LANG 1087th Trans Co. out of Vidalia La. We where attached to the 7th Corps 4th Trans Batt. 16th Support Group. we ran out of Log Base Echo and Built and ran out of Log Base Nellington in Iraq,We had 2 other sister units there also. The 1083rd attached to the 18th Airborne. and the 1086th stationed at KKMC. I retired in "97" My unit was depolyed again in 2003...can't wait to read the book. also I know what unit you where talking about. It was a quatermaster unit. we were in the same building for a couple of days till our equiptment came in..2 weeks after we left for LBE it got hit...also we drove busses hauling units north for about 3 weeks waiting on our equiptment.
DESERT SHIELD/STORM NOV 90-JUN 91

16th support group
4th Trans Batt.
1087 Trans Co.
Road Warrior
SSG Retired..... 1976-1997
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you.
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G.I.
"One died for your soul, the other for your freedom!"
Life Member VFW Post 9573
THELOUISIANAEXPLORER
Author of Desert Burning

Post by THELOUISIANAEXPLORER » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:53 am

One of the first Guard Units I remember coming into Saudi was the transportation company out of Jena. Met a couple of them at the Al Shula Mall that fall. I had close ties with the 527th Engineering Battalion, a Guard unit out of Ruston and brought a lot over for supper after the war was over. Can you believe it started 20 years ago TODAY.
FA1SGret
Lifer
Your Gulf War Unit: 3rd Bn 17th Field Artillery

Post by FA1SGret » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:55 pm

I can believe it's been 20 years ... been a long 20 years.
Desert Shield/Desert Storm/Cease Fire
3rd Bn 17th Field Artillery
210th FA Bde
DS (OPCON) 3/2 ACR, GS 1 ID
FIRE MISSION!
xrammyx
Vet
Your Gulf War Unit: 1st Armored Division HHB 6/3 ADA

Post by xrammyx » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:05 pm

FA1SGret wrote:I can believe it's been 20 years ... been a long 20 years.
I have to agree with you! to tell you the truth lately I have been feeling down, and still cannot believe I am here after 20 years, but I will keep pushing on, something out there is telling me to keep going, I am happy that I found this forum and talking to everyone here and posting away....it keeps me going!!
HHB 6/3 ADA
Schwabach, Germany
Desert Shield/Storm
lmsnh
Vet
Your Gulf War Unit: 400th MP BN, 800th MP Bde

Post by lmsnh » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:33 pm

I had a really good session with my therapist today! She was thrilled to hear about the purchase I made over the weekend, she said it was a sign that I am trying to start living past the illness rather than letting it control my life.

What did I get? A Harley Sportster XLH 883. I missed riding so much! I got rid of my bike shortly after I came back, nothing seemed to feel right to me, even riding. When I went for a test ride on Sunday I felt like I was reborn, something woke up inside of me and told me I was still alive and that I should live my life!

I'm not saying that buying the Harley was the fix or anything. I have been in intense thereapy using EMDR techniques to help control the dreams for over 4 years. It's helping but I still need to be on the meds....which sucks! I really don't like taking all the meds I have to take.

I hope all of you find some relief soon, no matter how small it is.

Oh yes, I almost forgot, the bike is also a symbol of the birthday present I never got.
I turned 30 on 12/24/1990 in a desert area outside a little town called Um Al Sahik. 20 Years later I am turning 50! So this December, the Day Before Christmas I am going to have a birthday to remember to make up for the one I missed out on over there!

Later guys,
Little Sis,

SFC Lynn M. Santosuosso
U.S. Army
VFW Post 1772
Desert Shield/Storm 1990-1991,
400th MP BN, 800th MP Bde

Ft Dix, NJ BCT, 1980
Lowry AFB Denver, CO, 1981
Ft Benning, GA, 1983
Ft Devens, MA, 1985
Ft Meade, MD, 1990
76th Div, USAR. 1992-1997
AnsbachBarton
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: A Co, 141 Signal BN, 1st Armor Division

Post by AnsbachBarton » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:13 pm

It seems like eons ago instead of 20 yrs ago for me.

I remember hearing the news of the Invasion in Ansbach. Didn't think at the time that the 1st Armor Division out of Ansbach, Germany would be involved.

Later that fall, I knew it would be and I be going to the sandunes of Saudi.
A Co, 141 Signal BN, 1st Armor Division - Ansbach, Germany 1988-1991
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 2nd Brigade 1st Infantry Division

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:49 pm

This was on my Facebook. Posted by the Veterans Administration FB guy.
U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Today marks the 20th anniversary of the start of the first Gulf War. On August 2, 1990,
Saddam Hussein's forces invaded Kuwait, initiating the conflict. By June 1991, 697,000 men and women had served in what
became Operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm. If you're a Gulf War Vet, tell us who you served with
and feel free to share a story. --Brandon Friedman
Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
(12/91 - present) - miss the service
(9/90 - 12/91) 2nd Bde 1st Infantry Division - Desert Shield / Desert Storm Combat VET
(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET
(4/88 - 9/88) AIT Fort Gordon, Ga
(12/87 - 3/88) Basic Training Fort Jackson, SC
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell
"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton
haze
Senior Vet

Post by haze » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:00 pm

your not alone on feeling down, sometimes it takes all i can do to even get up in the mornings,,,,but i do. my family helps out on keeping going on each day. i turned 40 yesterday....but in the battles, events in my head, i"m still 20 an really don"t have a care in the world. this sitre has helped me in sooo many ways. thanks to all that listen to my ramblings....
72nd. ENGR. CO.
197th. INF. BDE(m)(s)
24th. INF.DIV
18th AIRBORNE CORPS
SAPPERS FORWARD!
THELOUISIANAEXPLORER
Author of Desert Burning

Post by THELOUISIANAEXPLORER » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:01 am

I said I wouldn't bother you guys with any more stories, this is your site but after hearing all these stories I have to climb back in.
Since I originated this I'm allowed literay license. :D Lil sis you go for it. I did the same thing about 4 years ago and riding is wonderful but I'm usually by myself. Much more peaceful that way. The guy that has the office next to me is head of the patriot guard in the area and he is making several rides a month these days. Haze, thanks for the advice about my son. He has all ready gone to seek counciling. He's doing good, back home and back in college but had trouble sleeping. Talked to the doctor and got a prescription for sleeping pills and sent on his way.

I would like to share how I was introduced to the Gulf War. I had eaten at the Abqaiq dining hall on Wednesday (like Friday here). Went to my apartment and picked up Saudi TV. They told of a meeting between Kuwait and Iraq and hosted by the Saudis. They said the meeting was over without agreement but both agreed to meet again and restart the talks. At midnight BBC said the meeting had collapsed and went on say that Iraq was amassing troops on the Kuwaiti border. I can remember like it was yesterday laying there saying to myself, "Saber rattling. Iraq will do nothing after all that Kuwaiti had done to help them with the war against Iran." I drifted off to sleep and BBC went off the air. Then at 6:00 AM on August 2nd the radio came to life with the traditional trumpet blast and the announcement "This is London." Then the words, "Our entire broadcast is taken up with the invasion of Kuwait by Iraq," and thus my life turned up side down for about 8 months. Hate to say it but that was the most exhiliarating 8 months of my life. Lived off pure adrenalin.