FOR THE 20th ANNIVERSARY

Please visit this area and participate in various diffrent topics of discussion.
THELOUISIANAEXPLORER
Author of Desert Burning
Your Gulf War Unit: Please add your Unit

FOR THE 20th ANNIVERSARY

Post by THELOUISIANAEXPLORER » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:41 pm

On August 2, 1990 a group of ex-patriots living in Saudi Arabia woke up to find that their world had turned upside down as Iraq had moved into Kuwait. These workers remained in Saudi Arabia to insure that the world continued to receive its' oil, that fresh water was provided to many of the coalition forces and at times provide some semblance of civilization to many of the troops. In honor of the 20th anniversary of the invasion and the war that united the world , a new book will be published that chronicles in novel form the civilians of Aramco and Operation Desert Storm. The Book is titled "Desert Burning" and will be available just prior to August 2nd.
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 2nd Brigade 1st Infantry Division

Re: FOR THE 20th ANNIVERSARY

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:27 pm

Welcome to the forums. Are you a veteran or the author of this book you mention? Sounds interesting.
Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
(12/91 - present) - miss the service
(9/90 - 12/91) 2nd Bde 1st Infantry Division - Desert Shield / Desert Storm Combat VET
(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET
(4/88 - 9/88) AIT Fort Gordon, Ga
(12/87 - 3/88) Basic Training Fort Jackson, SC
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell
"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton
THELOUISIANAEXPLORER
Author of Desert Burning

Post by THELOUISIANAEXPLORER » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:18 am

Thanks for the welcome. I am the author. I am a veteran of an earlier military action and I was living in Saudi Arabia as a civilian prior to invasion and remained three years after the conflict ended.
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:45 am

Do you have a estimated release date yet?

How about a cover picture?
Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
(9/90 - 12/91) 2nd Bde 1st Infantry Division - Desert Shield / Desert Storm Combat VET
(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell
- General George Patton
haze
Senior Vet
Your Gulf War Unit: 72nd. ENGR. CO. 197TH INF. BDE. 24TH INF

Post by haze » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:14 pm

i remember the american civilians coming to our camp ,while we was in saudi, before we moved out. they was a great bunch !!! reminded me of home alittle...seeing americans not in camo. they"d come every couple weeks or so...bring stuff for us...go have film developed...etc. again they brung alittle bit of home to me....
72nd. ENGR. CO.
197th. INF. BDE(m)(s)
24th. INF.DIV
18th AIRBORNE CORPS
SAPPERS FORWARD!
THELOUISIANAEXPLORER
Author of Desert Burning

Post by THELOUISIANAEXPLORER » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:26 pm

The book is with the publisher and I'm pushing to have it our before August 2nd. No cover yet. You know, you guys were great. You came came in and saved our bacon. Sadam could have had the oil fields in 48 hours and then held the world hostage. We use to host troops during the week. Bring them in for supper and laundry and then a call home. My ball team played the 82nd airborne champion team then fed them steaks at my buddies house. Swapped shirts with them. Then every Friday it was the SEALS that came in. At Thanksgiving we had about a hundred come into Aramco. Played a game of softball then the guys were sent to homes for Thanksgiving dinner and then they headed back to half moon bay. We also had convoys go out every Thursday and spend the night with the troops and cook some good home cookin. Everything paid out of the pockets of the civilians. Loved having you guys over. I spent the war duckin SCUDs and was then asked to volunteer to go to the Kuwaiti border and fight the oil spill since the coalition forces were taking about 32,000 gallons of desalinated water from us. What an experience. When did you get in country and where were you staged. I found my old national guard engineer unit in the desert and several guys that went to OCS with me 14 years earlier were there. Brought all of them in for a meal after the war. Hadn't seen them for 13 years.
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:58 am

Well I'd like to thank you for everybody for doing what you did. I know from my experience that a taste of home would have been nice from time to time. Somehow that care package of Ramen noodles and hometown papers was a good start but just did quite dop it for me.

I got in country mid January and we we right to Khobar towers from the airfield. I was there for about a week then we headed out to the port to wait for our armor, we were there for another week or so. I remember doing guard duty and seeig a scud get taken out by a Patriot missle out of the water. I also remember going on alert when a team of Iraqi Spec Ops came into the port by water and they go shot up quite bad....ended up being a small whale in the end. Gotta love adrenalin and assumptions.

I do not remember the name of the area we staged from in the desert once we finally got to our tracks, I do remember riding old beat up and wore out public transpo buses out to there and being given one full magazine of ammo for my M-16 as I got off the bus. I need to go through all my crap I brought home as I think I have one of the maps that were used to track some of our movements across the sand.
Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
-George Orwell
- General George Patton
THELOUISIANAEXPLORER
Author of Desert Burning

Post by THELOUISIANAEXPLORER » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:42 am

Yea, those SCUDS were bad, real bad at times. My good buddy and I played on a softball team, the Dhahran Clippers and one of our team mates worked for a company that had a vacant building in Khobar. His company had leased the building to the military and a Guard unit moved into it. My buddy's wife was in the states, Bentlyville, Penn., during the last part of the war. She had an interview with a small town newspaper a few miles from her home and she told them that when the SCUDS come in there is no idea where they are going to hit. Everyone just waits for the impact. Two days after the paper ran the article the last SCUD attach was launched on Dhahran. The Patriot had a partial hit and the scud fell into the compound that our team mate had leased to the military and there all kinds of propane cylinders that exploded. Many were killed and wounded. The unit that was in the compound was from the same town in Penn that had just run my buddy's wife's article. Can't believe it's been 20 years.
lmsnh
Vet
Your Gulf War Unit: 400th MP BN, 800th MP Bde

Post by lmsnh » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:07 pm

I arrived in country December 8th, the day after Pearl Harbour Day. My unit was in "Cement City" in Dammam SA for less than a week, and then we went to Um al Sahik where we had a couple of weeks to gear up before heading north. We had buses that drove us through a rainstorm to KKMC. That bus ride, and I am not exaggerating, took 21 hours. We were cramped on this bus that much smaller people usually ride in and we were hurting. There were some really big guys in my unit, 400th MP’s, and they had to lie on the floor in the aisle just to stretch their legs! We stayed at KKMC for 3 days then moved to a deserted bunch of old dilapidated buildings across the street from KKMC. That’s where we were when the air war started and the scuds started coming in left and right. KKMC was a big target. Oh by the way, that little temporary compound was called BOHICA. Let’s see who can figure out what that stands for first…. A little friendly competition.

Wow, I hadn’t thought about those first few weeks in country in a long time, mostly because I have nobody to talk to about it.

Thanks guys….
Little Sis,

SFC Lynn M. Santosuosso
U.S. Army
VFW Post 1772
Desert Shield/Storm 1990-1991,
400th MP BN, 800th MP Bde

Ft Dix, NJ BCT, 1980
Lowry AFB Denver, CO, 1981
Ft Benning, GA, 1983
Ft Devens, MA, 1985
Ft Meade, MD, 1990
76th Div, USAR. 1992-1997
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:28 am

lmsnh wrote:Oh by the way, that little temporary compound was called BOHICA. Let’s see who can figure out what that stands for first…. A little friendly competition.
Well, my Google-Fu may be weak this morning.

BOHICA is a company that makes receivers for the 50 cal.

"Bend Over, Here It Comes Again"

Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
-George Orwell
- General George Patton
THELOUISIANAEXPLORER
Author of Desert Burning

Post by THELOUISIANAEXPLORER » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:28 am

I still remember sitting in the Aramco dining hall in Abqaiq having supper with Bryan Jones, Steve ? and Ken Evans two days before the bombs started falling and saying that the rain moving through will make it easier to cross the desert. Little did we know that it would be six weeks before you guys moved out. We knew something was getting ready to happen because all civilian convoys to the the desert to visit the troops and all visits to the Aramco camps were canceled my the military a week earlier. Sure you guys recall that the desert can get really cold at night, especially if it rains. Lot more rock out there too than people realize.
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:16 pm

Yea, I seem to remember some 110*+F days and 30*F nights and yes the night rain was extremely cold.
Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
-George Orwell
- General George Patton
redfish
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 24th Infantry Division, 197th Infantry Brigage, 72 Engr Co.

Post by redfish » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:25 pm

I remember civilians comin' out before xmas bringin' candy bars and sodas. They also let us write short messages that they faxed home for us. Great group of guys.
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
197th Infantry 72 ENGR CO
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"
THELOUISIANAEXPLORER
Author of Desert Burning

Post by THELOUISIANAEXPLORER » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:32 pm

It was almost like spotting Big Foot when you guys first arrived. Someone would spot a truck load of millitary then calls would be made to let everyone know what was seen. Today it would be comical but then it was so great to see American military and especially the flag. Big lump in the throat. Everybody would flash a V sign. We would occassionally go out the back gate of ARAMCO and visit the 8th ordinance, take some food and visit with the men out there. Remember going to the entrance and someone had found a piece of black board and written on it was "This gate is protected by the 101st Airborne" and of course the men at the gate had the screaming eagle on their sleeves. Right after the troops started to get in country in August a couple of us went north to the Juwamah Gas plant "hunting soldiers" ( :) ) and found a marine Hawk battery. We unloaded all kinds of cokes and a watermelon. Found out there was a serious information vacuum so my buddy Schoenhopltz and I went to Khobar. He bought a new boom box and a bunch of batteries and took them back to the camp. News papers semed to be the biggest request. Guess a lot of you arrived at the new International Air Port. It was over a year from being ready to open when you flew in. A man from my home town in Louisiana, Jim Nolan, was manager of Pipeline Maintenance. He had a crew complete pipelines from the refinery at Ras Tanura to the air port and filled the jet fuel tanks a year early. Seems like yesterday. Hard to believe it was 20 years ago.
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:50 am

Yea, I flew in on a 747 so that takes a bit of runway, I don't remember seeing any kind of terminal when we landed but then again it was like 2am but I left during the day and still don't remember anything but wide open land surrounding the runways. I remember hitting a KFC in the American area and thinking to myself DAMN these some small breasts of chicken. They were like 1/2 the size of a piece of chicken here stateside.
Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
-George Orwell
- General George Patton