Leaving/losing jobs due to temper

Please visit this area and participate in various diffrent topics of discussion.
Post Reply
User avatar
redfish
Good Soldiers Never Die
Posts: 1009
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:36 pm
Your Gulf War Unit: 24th Infantry Division, 197th Infantry Brigage, 72 Engr Co.
Location: North Carolina

Re: Leaving/losing jobs due to temper

Post by redfish » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:44 pm

I'm a firm believer in keeping your wife in the know group. My first wife I think was too traumatized by me. By my second wife I'd learned not to talk about nothin'. I don't know if she even knew I was in DS. My wife now has been involved since I had my break down and she is my biggest supporter and it helps that she knows it ain't her it is me. It helps her understand.
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
197th Infantry 72 ENGR CO
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"
User avatar
112SecurityPolice
Recruit
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:06 am
Your Gulf War Unit: 112th Security Police - T.A.C.

Re: Leaving/losing jobs due to temper

Post by 112SecurityPolice » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:53 pm

I was "let go" from my job as a police officer because of my PTSD(I'm still appealing it). I worked with other cops who never even served and had worse tempers than I did, but were politically connected, so nothing ever happened to them. :roll:


I would like to know if anyone has ever been denied a job due to their P.T.S.D. :?:

I guess that employers would not know unless one told them, and it is supposedly illegal to ask. :?

I am reading about vets coming home from OIF who can't find work because some employers have a negative stereotype of veterans and P.T.S.D. :(

For what its worth, I was recently denied a job at Carlow University as a Communications Dispatcher because of my disability/veteran status even though I had more than enough qualifications. 8O
User avatar
xrammyx
Vet
Posts: 160
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:50 am
Your Gulf War Unit: 1st Armored Division HHB 6/3 ADA
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Leaving/losing jobs due to temper

Post by xrammyx » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:17 pm

112SecurityPolice wrote:I was "let go" from my job as a police officer because of my PTSD(I'm still appealing it). I worked with other cops who never even served and had worse tempers than I did, but were politically connected, so nothing ever happened to them. :roll:


I would like to know if anyone has ever been denied a job due to their P.T.S.D. :?:

I guess that employers would not know unless one told them, and it is supposedly illegal to ask. :?

I am reading about vets coming home from OIF who can't find work because some employers have a negative stereotype of veterans and P.T.S.D. :(

For what its worth, I was recently denied a job at Carlow University as a Communications Dispatcher because of my disability/veteran status even though I had more than enough qualifications. 8O
I think I might be in the same boat as you, i graduated college in December and still have not found a job...its really disturbing to see that no one will hire you because your a veteran, at least that's what I am thinking..
HHB 6/3 ADA
Schwabach, Germany
Desert Shield/Storm
User avatar
redfish
Good Soldiers Never Die
Posts: 1009
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:36 pm
Your Gulf War Unit: 24th Infantry Division, 197th Infantry Brigage, 72 Engr Co.
Location: North Carolina

Re: Leaving/losing jobs due to temper

Post by redfish » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:54 pm

I was not hired a t a job and a friend of mine (non-vet) was hired. I'm more experienced, more qualified than her. But my history is colorful and has a history of ptsd
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
197th Infantry 72 ENGR CO
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"
User avatar
xrammyx
Vet
Posts: 160
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:50 am
Your Gulf War Unit: 1st Armored Division HHB 6/3 ADA
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Leaving/losing jobs due to temper

Post by xrammyx » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:54 pm

redfish wrote:I was not hired a t a job and a friend of mine (non-vet) was hired. I'm more experienced, more qualified than her. But my history is colorful and has a history of ptsd
I hear you...
HHB 6/3 ADA
Schwabach, Germany
Desert Shield/Storm
User avatar
112SecurityPolice
Recruit
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:06 am
Your Gulf War Unit: 112th Security Police - T.A.C.

Re: Leaving/losing jobs due to temper

Post by 112SecurityPolice » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:00 am

I see that I'm not alone here. :D

Since there is no government agency that will help in this situation per se, I'm wondering what can be done to clear up a civilian employer's misconceptions about what it means to be a veteran and having ptsd. :|

For the record, I did file a complaint against the university with the EEOC. I'll let you know if anything comes from it. :wink:
User avatar
xrammyx
Vet
Posts: 160
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:50 am
Your Gulf War Unit: 1st Armored Division HHB 6/3 ADA
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Leaving/losing jobs due to temper

Post by xrammyx » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:18 am

112SecurityPolice wrote:I see that I'm not alone here. :D

Since there is no government agency that will help in this situation per se, I'm wondering what can be done to clear up a civilian employer's misconceptions about what it means to be a veteran and having ptsd. :|

For the record, I did file a complaint against the university with the EEOC. I'll let you know if anything comes from it. :wink:
I think its too early to tell right now, many things need to be explain and since the army or the government is finally recognizing that there is problem, it looks like it will take awhile for the mainstream to see the problem also...
HHB 6/3 ADA
Schwabach, Germany
Desert Shield/Storm
User avatar
FA1SGret
Lifer
Posts: 874
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:41 am
Your Gulf War Unit: 3rd Bn 17th Field Artillery
Location: Missouri

Re: Leaving/losing jobs due to temper

Post by FA1SGret » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:54 pm

It's all crap.

The gov't says don't discrimate based on race, religion, medical condition, etc.

The employers have many ways to hide their bias ... hiring, by nature, is discriminatory ... someone loses and someone wins. They can't not hire you based on your PTSD, but they can not hire you just because ... no reason needed.

If ptsd, or any other medical condition, prevents employment ... a claim for disability or compensation can be filed, but the proof is on you ... not the employer ... good luck with that.

People make money creating statistics, someone else makes money watching the statistics, and then someone else makes money dodging the statistics, and then someone else makes money settling the disputes between them.

I say don't mention your medical condition, ptsd or not ... just don't mention in the work place.

Sounds like a bummer ... but you've touched a sore spot.
Desert Shield/Desert Storm/Cease Fire
3rd Bn 17th Field Artillery
210th FA Bde
DS (OPCON) 3/2 ACR, GS 1 ID
FIRE MISSION!
User avatar
xrammyx
Vet
Posts: 160
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:50 am
Your Gulf War Unit: 1st Armored Division HHB 6/3 ADA
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Leaving/losing jobs due to temper

Post by xrammyx » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:07 pm

FA1SGret wrote:It's all crap.

The gov't says don't discrimate based on race, religion, medical condition, etc.

The employers have many ways to hide their bias ... hiring, by nature, is discriminatory ... someone loses and someone wins. They can't not hire you based on your PTSD, but they can not hire you just because ... no reason needed.

If ptsd, or any other medical condition, prevents employment ... a claim for disability or compensation can be filed, but the proof is on you ... not the employer ... good luck with that.

People make money creating statistics, someone else makes money watching the statistics, and then someone else makes money dodging the statistics, and then someone else makes money settling the disputes between them.

I say don't mention your medical condition, ptsd or not ... just don't mention in the work place.

I i understand, I will work on that...

Sounds like a bummer ... but you've touched a sore spot.
HHB 6/3 ADA
Schwabach, Germany
Desert Shield/Storm
User avatar
philipandrews1
Recruit
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:05 pm
Your Gulf War Unit: Please add your Unit
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Re: Leaving/losing jobs due to temper

Post by philipandrews1 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:13 pm

^ i think there should be a private company that hires only a certain group of people thast has something in common. say a retired army personnel, builds a company of consultants to a certain security agency, in that way other retired army personnel can have a job after their terms, without discrimination. by this we are also discriminating other people.

if the statement above angers you, then you're not getting it.

or, there should be an organization of the said group of people to help others with same problems. a co-op thing.
User avatar
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die
Posts: 1899
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:35 pm
Your Gulf War Unit: 2nd Brigade 1st Infantry Division
Location: Central Florida
Contact:

Re: Leaving/losing jobs due to temper

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:17 pm

Yea, I'd like to see something like that also. Technically there are companies like that, mostly security type companies who show preference to virtually any and all applicants with military experience. In many cases, no one there lacks a military background of any kind.
Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
(12/91 - present) - miss the service
(9/90 - 12/91) 2nd Bde 1st Infantry Division - Desert Shield / Desert Storm Combat VET
(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET
(4/88 - 9/88) AIT Fort Gordon, Ga
(12/87 - 3/88) Basic Training Fort Jackson, SC
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell
"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton
Image
User avatar
redfish
Good Soldiers Never Die
Posts: 1009
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:36 pm
Your Gulf War Unit: 24th Infantry Division, 197th Infantry Brigage, 72 Engr Co.
Location: North Carolina

Re: Leaving/losing jobs due to temper

Post by redfish » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:34 am

Dark water is hiring. :wink:
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
197th Infantry 72 ENGR CO
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"
User avatar
redfish
Good Soldiers Never Die
Posts: 1009
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:36 pm
Your Gulf War Unit: 24th Infantry Division, 197th Infantry Brigage, 72 Engr Co.
Location: North Carolina

Re: Leaving/losing jobs due to temper

Post by redfish » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:45 pm

My job is letting me quit. It was that or get fired. Back to the VA now for unemployability. Ever end?
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
197th Infantry 72 ENGR CO
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"
User avatar
xrammyx
Vet
Posts: 160
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:50 am
Your Gulf War Unit: 1st Armored Division HHB 6/3 ADA
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Leaving/losing jobs due to temper

Post by xrammyx » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:47 pm

redfish wrote:My job is letting me quit. It was that or get fired. Back to the VA now for unemployability. Ever end?
thats what i did back in 08, I had to quit, I could not be around people anymore...although I know its going to take forever to get anything done with the VA..
HHB 6/3 ADA
Schwabach, Germany
Desert Shield/Storm
User avatar
FA1SGret
Lifer
Posts: 874
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:41 am
Your Gulf War Unit: 3rd Bn 17th Field Artillery
Location: Missouri

Re: Leaving/losing jobs due to temper

Post by FA1SGret » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:38 pm

Hate to hear that, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do
Desert Shield/Desert Storm/Cease Fire
3rd Bn 17th Field Artillery
210th FA Bde
DS (OPCON) 3/2 ACR, GS 1 ID
FIRE MISSION!
Post Reply