19 years ago Feb 23-25 Desert Storm G-day began

Please visit this area and participate in various diffrent topics of discussion.
redfish
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 24th Infantry Division, 197th Infantry Brigage, 72 Engr Co.

Re: 19 years ago Feb 23-25 Desert Storm G-day began

Post by redfish » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:58 am

You hanging in there Mrs. 197? Got kids to harass ya? Want some? :) I've seen ya come and go but ain't heard nothin' from ya. I'm curious to hear how it goes @ the VA for ya. I'm ready to sing praise or cast stones. Of course I am not without sin so I can't cast the first stone.
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
197th Infantry 72 ENGR CO
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"
delta197wife
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: Please add your Unit

Post by delta197wife » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:28 pm

redfish,
Thanks for your support and caring. And yes I have kids to harrass and be harrassed by, 3 teenage daughters!!! PTSD should also stand for Post Teenager Stress Disorder. LOL.
As for the VA, hubby went for labs yesterday and has first visit next week. Any suggestions or helpful hints.
Again thanks for the support and I'll keep ya updated.
redfish
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by redfish » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:36 pm

What are his complaints? Is this that his persian gulf physical?
If he has the same issues I do with anger and all, he should be straight and go see mental health and tell them exactly how he feels. Not yeah sometimes I feel angry and upset... no he needs to tell them he feels like tearing peoples face off yada yada he feels like blowing heads off. He really needs to let it out. Nightmares and panic and anxiety. Tell them what he has on the inside. I went five times to different VA's. Nothing. This last time I went in and told them I felt like killing people when the receptionist asked me what brought me in. Spill it brother.. it's time.

Katie went with me and is going to my mental health doc with me tomorrow. That is up to y'all. But, she helped me be honest and at times spilled the beans on me. Yes you are violently angry at times, you do get up at night a lot you do have a lot of nightmares so on and so on. I really hope he gets some relief.

You need all the help you can get with 3 teenage girls. My oldest is 18 she is good.
My next is almost 16. He is driving.
Next is my 3 year old daughter still potty training but she has seen daddy act a fool so she gets a break. :)
My youngest is 13 months and he is "still too young to hate." - Tom T. Hall song

Tell the mental health docs exactly what is going on. Don't claim up cuz ya feel embarrassed.

It's my pleasure to help, hope and encourage. Y'all are one of us. I'm also paying it forward. Y'all need somethin', holler. We ain't got much be we in the game too. 8)

Blessings
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"
haze
Senior Vet
Your Gulf War Unit: 72nd. ENGR. CO. 197TH INF. BDE. 24TH INF

Post by haze » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:52 am

well said redfish!!
72nd. ENGR. CO.
197th. INF. BDE(m)(s)
24th. INF.DIV
18th AIRBORNE CORPS
SAPPERS FORWARD!
redfish
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by redfish » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:11 pm

Thank ya Haze. I been practicing.
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"
delta197wife
Recruit

Post by delta197wife » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:06 am

Redfish,

Thank you!

It's good to know I found others who are going through the same stuff.

As for symptoms, he has joint pain,chronic fatigue, headaches, irritable bowel, chemical sensitivities, insomnia, frequent infections (finally had tonsils removed 2 yrs ago).
All those symptoms surfaced very quickly after his return from the desert. He also has major depression & anxiety, probably PTSD related. The great news is that he is 5+ YRS sober and doing well in that department.

I do plan on going with him to his appointments so I will keep you posted on his progress.
redfish
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by redfish » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:35 am

His physical symptoms sound chemical related for sure. He really needs to get this done for your families sake so should it get to the point that he can no longer work, you guys will be provided for. Our unit was in the exposure zone for sure so too.
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"
haze
Senior Vet

Post by haze » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:47 am

redfish, tricky do you remember after we got back to the rally point after cease fire and we getting ready to head back south. they told us that it could be 10 yrs. or more before we seen any side effects of those pills,chemicals an what not?or is my memory playing tricks with me? our medic an chaplain was the ones tellin us i think.
72nd. ENGR. CO.
197th. INF. BDE(m)(s)
24th. INF.DIV
18th AIRBORNE CORPS
SAPPERS FORWARD!
tricky89
Vet
Your Gulf War Unit: 197th Inf. 72nd ENG. CO

Post by tricky89 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:20 pm

Yes, i remember the de-briefing we got befor we came home. They seem to be concerned about what we ate when we got back.I dout anybody on their level knew anything about what the future would hold for us. I think they were glad we were alive, but at some point they knew somthing was to come.
197th inf. 72nd engr. Heavy Junk
redfish
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by redfish » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:41 pm

Oh wow, you guys are still alive? :lol: Been vaccinated, doped, lied to, sprinkled on, sprayed and exposed. I feel good in spite of 'em.
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"
delta197wife
Recruit

Post by delta197wife » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:19 pm

I don't know why I am so shocked that, even then, they already knew you guys might be suffering.

redfish, you said you were in the exposure zone, are you referring to the area where the chemical weapons were destroyed? Did you get a letter ? We have never received anything and wasn't sure if his unit was listed as exposed.

Have any of you ever put your stories to paper and sent to your Congressman??
I know there are other books out there but are there any with individual personal accounts of events??

delta197wife
redfish
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by redfish » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:06 am

The 197th BDE as part of the 24th ID as part of the 18th AC was as a whole exposed and included as such on the list of exposed units.

It seems I got a letter many years ago. Early '90s. Haze and Trick may recall.

I don't recall any individual accounts published. I've read a number of them on this site. I remember a number of rumors. I remember a number of times our chemical detectors alarming. I remember one such time after the cease fire on highway 8 we scrambled into mopp 4 for a chemical alert and we never could get an all clear on our field detectors. At that same time it was wide spread and a czechoslovakia unit also detected chemical weapons.

Truth be known. I do not think any one knows or has any way of knowing who all was exposed to who knows what. The fact that we were exposed, I'm relatively sure of it. Too many ammunition depots, too many chemical weapons and too many different units destroying them.
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"
haze
Senior Vet

Post by haze » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:41 pm

i remember the detectors going off alot, 1 time ours went off at nite while i was on guard duty i think around the highway 8 area. they tried at least 3 different test kits, never could get them to read the same thing twice that nite. its never a good feeling hearing them things go off esp at nite.
i heard yrs. later that alot of those kits were deffective that we had.
i"m pretty sure that we did get a letter around 94 or 95 , had a # to call (DOD), i called it, it had our unit listed(197th) in the exposure zone.
redfish is right there was alot of stuff cooking off, blowing up at the end, we destroyed everything we pretty much came across .
i bought a movie a few yrs ago ,its called TO HEAL A NATION its about the gulf war ,and about the soldiers being exposed to chemicals, etc. and the gov, attempt to brush us off. pretty good movie. i had to watch it with my girlfriend at the time, it got rough a few times. but i just had to watch it. if you happen to come across it, watch it,
72nd. ENGR. CO.
197th. INF. BDE(m)(s)
24th. INF.DIV
18th AIRBORNE CORPS
SAPPERS FORWARD!
redfish
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by redfish » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:02 pm

I'll give it a look. Seen "home of the brave". Iraq movie about after coming home with PTSD. Samuel L. Jackson, fifty cent and a few others. Good flick. Worth a look. Not too much combat footage.
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 2nd Brigade 1st Infantry Division

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:41 am

redfish wrote:I'll give it a look. Seen "home of the brave". Iraq movie about after coming home with PTSD. Samuel L. Jackson, fifty cent and a few others. Good flick. Worth a look. Not too much combat footage.
Yes it was a good movie. I rented it and copied it then burnt it on a disk but have not watched it since.
Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
(12/91 - present) - miss the service
(9/90 - 12/91) 2nd Bde 1st Infantry Division - Desert Shield / Desert Storm Combat VET
(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET
(4/88 - 9/88) AIT Fort Gordon, Ga
(12/87 - 3/88) Basic Training Fort Jackson, SC
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell
"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton