hello

Please visit this area and participate in various diffrent topics of discussion.
thankavet
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: Please add your Unit

hello

Post by thankavet » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:57 pm

I first wanted to say thank you to all of you that fought in desert storm. I can’t remember being glued to the news the way I was to this conflict. The elements you faced, the uncertainty really made me proud. I was a teen ager during Vietnam and while I supported the troops, I didn’t like the chaos that put our guys in harm’s way.

I am writing another book, this one very different from the theme of sports which I happen to love, and I am going to put in a character who served in Desert Storm and I wanted it to be factual. I knew someone who was there but lost touch. He had Gulf War Syndrome and the vet hospitals burned him so bad. I never got to ask all the questions I have now, probably because I didn't want to bring up anything painful but I want to know what you went through, what you felt. I chose Fort Riley KS because I knew of the Big Red 1 but any military base will do. I need to know about what weapons you used, life in the desert, food, everything. Sounds simple, but I want my character to speak for you. If you have some time and don't mind a lot of questions, please post here or email me.

I hope to hear from some of you.
Hugs to all
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 2nd Brigade 1st Infantry Division

Re: hello

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:26 am

I'd be happy to help out as much as I can. Its been quite a while so some of the small insignificant memories are vague but most of it I will never forget.
Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
(12/91 - present) - miss the service
(9/90 - 12/91) 2nd Bde 1st Infantry Division - Desert Shield / Desert Storm Combat VET
(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET
(4/88 - 9/88) AIT Fort Gordon, Ga
(12/87 - 3/88) Basic Training Fort Jackson, SC
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell
"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton
Redmaxx
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.

Post by Redmaxx » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:36 pm

I would be happy to help as well.
B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.
SSR Platoon
Operation Desert Shield/Storm/Cease Fire 1990/1991
thankavet
Recruit

Post by thankavet » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:13 pm

Thank you so so much for your willingness to help and your patience and understanding of this very naiive civilian lol :lol: The answers I seek may be on a site somewhere but I must be a bad surfer.

I know most of the conflict involved tanks and APC vs the scenes in Combat WWII where they crawled on their belly in hand to hand combat. Sgt. Saunders was my hero for those who can identify :mrgreen:

To be honest, I wanted my character to be an infantry man. I made him as you all are: confident, strong and willing to face any danger. They say they are the front line and that's where I want my character Doug to be. I admit I don't even know how a soldier evolves, from enlistment to deployment. Can you choose what base you want to be stationed at? I want to know what weapons he would be issued, any other supplies as well. What ranks would be attainable without theatre experience? What personal effects he would have brought with him. Where did he sleep, when he did. I warned you: i am a detail person and I want people to feel the heat of the desert and see the heat coming off the sand through his eyes.

I guess if there is a typical day, I want to know it. I doubt there is anything typical out there, though. Feel free to tell me about yourselves. I want to know for this piece I am writing but to be honest, I want to learn and understand alll that you went through. My father was in the Pacific and he was a proud soldier. He taught me to revere a soldier and if I ever married one (which I didn't) to stand by him no matter how difficult. Many of you faced such peril in your conflicts and the added burden of a gf or wife leaving you is the ultimate betrayal I think. We won't even go into the state of the VA. I don't want to overload you all with questions. I will go at your pace. Thank you all again for your time and help :D
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:21 am

I'll try and throw something together based on your questions. Not everything comes to mind right away, its been a few years ya know?
Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
(9/90 - 12/91) 2nd Bde 1st Infantry Division - Desert Shield / Desert Storm Combat VET
(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell
- General George Patton
thankavet
Recruit

Post by thankavet » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:37 pm

i am very patient. when you're asking for help you have to respect the person you are asking and go with their time frame:) ty so much again.
thankavet
Recruit

Post by thankavet » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:21 pm

i was helped by some former soliders on another site. thanks anyway all. i get the feeling i upset some.
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:12 am

Not bad feelings here, I have been stuck in training and will, regardless, finish what I started and send it to you in the next few days anyway. Use or toss it, its your choice.
Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
-George Orwell
- General George Patton
thankavet
Recruit

Post by thankavet » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:39 pm

awwwww ty so much dagger. i will definitely use it i promise you that. you have my word. and if i can ask another question: was there a hospital in germany the 1st infantry men were sent to back then? thanks again so so much. happy 4th :)
SaucyWench
Lifer
Your Gulf War Unit: "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!"

Post by SaucyWench » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:10 am

thankavet.... who are you? You talk as if we are supposed to know you. Granted, I am late to the party as usual, but I do not see any information on who you are posted.
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:32 pm

I believe they are sent to the Army hospital in Landstuhl.
Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
-George Orwell
- General George Patton