Weather in your area.

Please visit this area and participate in various diffrent topics of discussion.
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 2nd Brigade 1st Infantry Division

Re: Weather in your area.

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:11 pm

Very early 1990, Fulda Gap, in full gear on an FTX for over a week already, 30ish out, discovered I had chicken pox while attempting to shave that morning in the freezing cold. That day sucked real bad.
Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
(12/91 - present) - miss the service
(9/90 - 12/91) 2nd Bde 1st Infantry Division - Desert Shield / Desert Storm Combat VET
(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET
(4/88 - 9/88) AIT Fort Gordon, Ga
(12/87 - 3/88) Basic Training Fort Jackson, SC
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell
"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton
Redmaxx
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.

Post by Redmaxx » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:13 pm

That sucks.
B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.
SSR Platoon
Operation Desert Shield/Storm/Cease Fire 1990/1991
redfish
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 24th Infantry Division, 197th Infantry Brigage, 72 Engr Co.

Post by redfish » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:18 pm

Yuck ! Did you get to go to the rear with the gear? That's terrible.

Weather here is crappy rain and 45.
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
197th Infantry 72 ENGR CO
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"
Redmaxx
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Redmaxx » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:32 pm

Rain is on it's way here and it is supposed to turn to snow tonight.
B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.
SSR Platoon
FA1SGret
Lifer
Your Gulf War Unit: 3rd Bn 17th Field Artillery

Post by FA1SGret » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:22 pm

Very early 1990, Fulda Gap, in full gear on an FTX for over a week already, 30ish out, discovered I had chicken pox while attempting to shave that morning in the freezing cold. That day sucked real bad.
Now that sucks ... chicken pox in the field ... with all that gear on ... did they send ya back to the rear?

I always hated shaving the most. We had to shave before chow in the morning, which was 0:dark:30. Had to shave with water from your canteen, and had to use your canteen cup. Some mornings my canteen was frozen and I had to thaw it on the exhaust manifold of the gun. No heaters, no tents. No sleeping on the guns ... we slept on the ground behind the gun. I absolutely hated shaving in the cold ... don't shave to this day because of it.
Desert Shield/Desert Storm/Cease Fire
3rd Bn 17th Field Artillery
210th FA Bde
DS (OPCON) 3/2 ACR, GS 1 ID
FIRE MISSION!
redfish
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by redfish » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:41 pm

That's funny. I will not shave in cold water or brush my teeth with cold water. Absolutely miserable shaving in cold water. Or, how about a whore bath? God Almighty was it ever cold trying to wash my ass out of my cup knowing that its gotta be done but dreading it all day. Then scream and cuss all through it but man did it ever feel good to put on cleaner BDU's and be cleaner.

I remember by the time we got out of the desert, our desert uniforms were gray. Bleached from the sun and black from dirt, oil, soot and Lord knows what else. I had holes in mine from concertina wire and man they were rough. We had two sets. I washed mine in shampoo cuz it made them smell better. :)

I remember a field problem in Korea named Polar Bear. It suited it. Wind chill 60 below. Ground froze so hard we had to build a fire on it and then dig where the fire was. I had on everything the Army gave me and was freezing. Looked like a green Michelin man.
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"
FA1SGret
Lifer

Post by FA1SGret » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:01 pm

I mostly stayed funky, except for shaving. When I had to, I took a 'bath' ... yep folks you can clean your nasty ass with a quart of water. Socks was another biggy. I'd rather stay at a certain level of funkiness, than get clean and funky again. Sometimes you couldn't help it 'cause the guns were so damn messy, mud, oil, dust, grit, shit! I usually took any time I could to sleep ... but sometimes I was ordered to clean up cause I got so funky.

Korean winters were bad ... the wind just whips through those mountains ... hell I remember wearing a field jacket in the summer cause the wind chill was so cold at night. We used to do cold weather conditioning ... sleep in your gear in the motor pool or outside the barracks, or on the ball field, had to do it to be combat certified.
210th FA Bde
FIRE MISSION!
Redmaxx
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Redmaxx » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:58 am

Never had the pleasure of going to Korea. I never wanted to go and I don't know what I would have done if I was ever sent there. I know a few people that went there that said it was pretty fun but I am still glad that I never had to go. Germany was pretty fun. When I look back now, I wish that I would have stayed in because I would be retired now.
B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.
SSR Platoon
FA1SGret
Lifer

Post by FA1SGret » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:23 am

I was the other way around; I went back and forth to Korea, but spent no time in Germany until late 89. I didn't like the Army in Germany, or I guess I should say the unit I was in in Germany ... way to political and no real focus on combat readiness.

Korea was combat focused ... pretty much 24/7. We had our basic load uploaded on our weapon systems all the time. It was very demanding with good times and bad. The hardest thing was the seperation from family. The seperation from family caused a lot of trouble.
210th FA Bde
FIRE MISSION!
Redmaxx
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Redmaxx » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:36 am

I am sure that the separation was probably the hardest. Do you miss being in?
B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.
SSR Platoon
FA1SGret
Lifer

Post by FA1SGret » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:09 pm

Do I miss being in? Every single day ... unless of course it is raining, or cold, or if I'm tired. :)

What I miss is the camaraderie and the rush ... nothing like the rush when a battery 1 goes off, or better yet, when you shoot a 15 - 30 minute fire plan, or hip shoot, or coordinated illum, or a night air mobile, or traveling up the panama canal at night in an LCM, or a night hasty river crossing, or just plain shootin' and scootin' ... nothing compares.

Problem is I aint there no more, and can't be there no more, but just can't seem to find my place where I am. I try, but it is damned illusive.
210th FA Bde
FIRE MISSION!
redfish
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by redfish » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:53 pm

Damn fine sumation Top. Could not have said it better. I was not in a gun but went with the CEV's. I loved I mean loved a full Night fire. LOVED IT. Never in all my life been as high as I was in or as low as I was in. I miss the guys. But, I do like being inside when its unpleasant outside. Storm was a rush if you think about it. I think I long for the excitement as well. But many times were not pleasant.
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"
FA1SGret
Lifer

Post by FA1SGret » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:02 pm

Your right about some of the unpleasantness ... down right ugliness ... that's what makes it hard and that's why most folks won't do it. It's hard, very hard, but the human mind has a tendency to forget the bad times and remember the best times.

We all have our struggles, even civilian and military alike ... it's relative I think.
210th FA Bde
FIRE MISSION!
redfish
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by redfish » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:10 pm

I always had garbage bags with me to wrap around my fart sack to stop the damn wind from blowing straight through. Man was it miserable when at 2 am no sleep lay down on top of something so you don't get run over and doze off only to hear rain hitting your sleeping bag. Ugh!
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"
FA1SGret
Lifer

Post by FA1SGret » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:25 pm

I rolled out my ranger roll ( poncho on the ground, then sleeping mat, sleeping bag, with my shelter half on top). Woke up to about 6 inches of snow. I through my shelter halve open to get rid of the snow and a huge turd was less than a foot from my head. What a shitty start to a bad day.

Had mortars fall on us one night. somebody missed the impact area. We took about a dozen 81mm mortar air burst before they stopped.

Sank a gun in a river one night. Couldn't tell ya how many guns we pulled down the road or out of rice paddies, or river beds, or sewage ditches.
210th FA Bde
FIRE MISSION!