British Units in both Gulf wars

Please visit this area and participate in various diffrent topics of discussion.
cabarfeidh
Recruit

British Units in both Gulf wars

Post by cabarfeidh » Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:40 am

I find that in many American related discussion forums and web sites that the British contribitio in both wars are hardly mentioned or not mentioned at all (like this site until now) I think the ommission of them is unfair and not worthy of us particulary since they have been our loyal allies since 1918. I hope some British contributors find this site and contribute.

I'm half British and my cousin's unit The 1st Battalion Queen 's Own Highlanders (Seaforth and Camerons) suffered three dead in Gulf 1 from a Friendly fire incident when two Tomohawk aircraft attacked a line of Armoured Personnel carriers and killed their crews one of them from the Queen's own Highlanders and the other from the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers.

Thank you,

cabarfeidh
RichardLowry
Author of Gulf War Chronicles
Your Gulf War Unit: Military Historian and Author

Post by RichardLowry » Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:22 am

Caber..,

I agree. The British stood shoulder to shoulder with us in both Gulf Wars. My book, "The Gulf War Chronicles" tells the story of the 1st Armoured division's attack into Iraq and Kuwait during Desert Storm. They were an important part of VII Corps' defeat of the Republican Guard.

British forces played, and continue to play, an even more important role in Operation Iraqi Freedom.
cabarfeidh
Recruit

Post by cabarfeidh » Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:30 am

Hi Richard,

Thank you for your post. There is a good book put out by the Royal Scots (the 1st of Foot) on their Gulf war experiences. Its called the Royal Scots in the Gulf. Its extraordinary when one looks at the colours of British Regiments and you'll see the link from century to century war to war commemorted by their battle honours. The last Battle Honour won by The Royal Scots was 'Gulf 1991' This is commemorated in the Battle Honours of all the Regiments of the British army that fought there with the exception of the Rifle Regiments in that army that don't carry colours by custom.

Yours ever,

cabarfeidh
troutster
Vet
Your Gulf War Unit: Please add your Unit

Post by troutster » Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:10 pm

Hi Cabarfeidh,
You are 100% correct, the British have played a major roll in recent military conflicts, especially Operation Desert-Storm.

The seeming lack of mention of British units here on the site I definetly not intended as a slight in anyway. Rather it is more the result of the fact that, for me at least, the information regarding US involvement is much more readily available. Richard's book, The Gulf War Chronicles, as he pointed out, does a great job of showing just how important a role they played.

If you have any information that you feel would be valuable to share through an avenue such as this site, please let me know and we will work together to get it displayed.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Scott
webmaster@desert-storm.com
Hylander

Post by Hylander » Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:59 pm

44 000 of us 1 (BR) armd div ... there must be more than 2 of us that can find this site... webmaster if you want to contact me... leehyland@btinternet.com
im looking for more sites with british input...just seem like WMD... we know they are there just cant find them...
especially interested because of 15 years coming soon and would like to know of renunions/celebrations actually in saudi/kuwait next year 2006