GWS questions for a High School research project

Please visit this area and participate in various diffrent topics of discussion.
Caroline
High School Research Student

GWS questions for a High School research project

Post by Caroline » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:22 pm

I've read that soldiers were exposed to toxins that could have contributed to the Gulf War Syndrome.

1} Do you know if you were ever exposed to these toxins?

2} Have you tried recieving medical help or contacted the government?

3} If so, what have they said and provided you?

4} Do you believe that veterans with the Gulf War Syndrome are being treated with respect?

5} Are you aware if the government is still covering up evidence or have they admitted that they should have helped veterans when the problem first arose?
Caroline

I am a freshman in high school. I'm researching the Gulf War Syndrome for a history project. I was wondering if you could tell me about your experience with the Gulf War Syndrome and answer some of my questions. Thank you for your time.
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 2nd Brigade 1st Infantry Division

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:36 pm

Cmon guys and...camel (she knows who she is), lets help this young lady out with her History project on teh Gulf War. Just post your answers here and she will copy them as they show. It might help others who ask from time to time also.

I already sent her my answers through email before I posted her stuff here. Maybe some of you can post your answers here for her.

Thanks.
Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
(12/91 - present) - miss the service
(9/90 - 12/91) 2nd Bde 1st Infantry Division - Desert Shield / Desert Storm Combat VET
(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET
(4/88 - 9/88) AIT Fort Gordon, Ga
(12/87 - 3/88) Basic Training Fort Jackson, SC
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell
"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton
FA1SGret
Lifer
Your Gulf War Unit: 3rd Bn 17th Field Artillery

Post by FA1SGret » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:41 am

I've read that soldiers were exposed to toxins that could have contributed to the Gulf War Syndrome.
Yes, the oil well fires, pesticides, fuels, solvent, bromide tablets, anthrax and botulism vaccanitions, probable exposure to low level chemical agents, and a huge amount of depleted uranium exposure.

Yes, through the VA and the gulf war registry.

Not much in my opinion. 'We can't find anything wrong', 'You don't look like you are in pain', 'There is nothing more we can do for you', 'The test were normal', etc., etc., etc.

They, the VA has provided a endless, guarded maze of requirements; cursory, abbreviated, close-minded, budget driven examinations or no examination; rhetoric; and basically beauracratic crap. I am very dissapointed with the level of care I get from the VA!

4} Do you believe that veterans with the Gulf War Syndrome are being treated with respect?
No. The term 'Gulf War Syndrome' is not a recognized term used by the VA or any other government agecy. The mention of 'Gulf War Syndrome' gets me rolled eyes, yawns, and a clear message that they think I am attempting to claim something that doesn't exist.

5} Are you aware if the government is still covering up evidence or have they admitted that they should have helped veterans when the problem first arose?
I have no idea what, or if, the government is concealing.

I know what I did in the gulf, I know where I went, when I went, and what I encountered. I know what medical symptoms I have, but I don't know the cause.

I also know that I participated in the Gulf War physical examination, and the examination was not completed in accordance with the regulatory directives. The examination was to be a 2 part examination, and I got part 1 and a letter from the VA indicationg that the exam uncovered some issues that should be further evaluated, but that's it. No part 2. Here is a link to the guidance I refer to:

http://www1.va.gov/gulfwar/docs/GulfWarManual.DOC

I also know that the results of the gulf war exam were in my paper medical records, in the basement of the VA hospital, and no doctor has ever reviewed those paper records because the use an electronic system. Any review that has ever been done of my medical file was done on the electronic system ... no doctor has ever acknowledged that they have seen my paper records ... so, in my case, they dropped the ball and seem unwilling to pick it back up and finish the exam. I can't even get the VA hospital to do an MRI in an attempt to explain some of my symptoms.

I absolutely distrust the VA, the US Government and all of it's sub entities to do anything on the basis honesty and integrity. Rather I suspect that every statement has an economic or political driver behind it.
Desert Shield/Desert Storm/Cease Fire
3rd Bn 17th Field Artillery
210th FA Bde
DS (OPCON) 3/2 ACR, GS 1 ID
FIRE MISSION!
5thFSEMSG
Vet
Your Gulf War Unit: Please add your Unit

Re: GWS questions for a High School research project

Post by 5thFSEMSG » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:22 pm

Yes. Various pesticides, Oil well fire fumes, Anthrax Injections, 3 day exposure to Sarin & Cyclo Sarin & Mustard gas, Depleted Uranium from enemy patients I worked on, Pyridum Bromide tablets (supposed binds with the same receptor sites as the Nerve agents)

Yes. Through the Gulf War registry in both the Army and the VA.

Vague at best. The DOD sent me 2 letters telling me I was exposed to Sarin, Cyclo Sarin, and Mustard over a 3 day period. The VA refuses to link this to any of my medical conditions but has found me service connected and combat connected for my disabilies.

No. We did get a much better "welcome home" than the Vietnam Veterans got, primarily because of the Vietnam Veterans. But that has waned considerably over the years. We are the new "Forgotten War". We have no monuments to our war, Veterans from earlier wars look down upon us as it "wasn't much of a war". We won perhaps the greatest victory of the 20th Century and get zero recognition for it. With the current war we are shoved to the rear and pushed back even further by "The Greatest Generation" and their attitude that they are the only Americans who have fought a war. The lessons we learned we offered up to the Military, but the lessons were rejected as evidenced by the fact that they are still making the same mistakes we made.

They don't come right out and say it, but the insinuate that they should help us more. They keep saying that there is "No Gulf War Syndrome" yet cannot account why up 75% of the Veterans of that war have serious health issues. Studies conflict each other, symptoms are written off as "typical type A personality disorders", dianosis and treatement of PTDS is haphazard at best. Getting due compensation is long, tedious process that takes help from Veterans organizations. Basically they are waiting for us to die in the hopes that they don't have to pay us.
5th Mobile Army Surgical Hospital, 5th Forward Surgical Element, Fort Bragg NC, DS/DS Oct 90 to Apr 91

lw173
Soldier

Post by lw173 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:48 pm

Pretty much, the other brothers have answer as best it can get. You'll most likely hear the same story over and over again. But for one, I will never forget those darn tablets that were given to us for the nerve agents. I and every swinging rifle hated those tablets.

Dont mean to be vulgar but I remember taking them and I thought i needed to urinate, and all of the sudden needed to clear the back blast area. Heck, I think everyone in my platoon went through it. It wasnt funny then, but now thinking about it, that was messed up funny.

Well at least some of us dont have to take those things ever again.

JC
3rd ID
Bco 1/7th INF
Aco 1/29th TRADOC
"Rock of the Marne!"
"Once you pull the pin, Mr. Grenade is not your friend anymore."
SaucyWench
Lifer
Your Gulf War Unit: "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!"

Re:

Post by SaucyWench » Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:23 am

Dagger X-Ray wrote:Cmon guys and...camel (she knows who she is), Thanks.

awww, thanks for thinking of me. :mrgreen: kind of makes me feel all warm and tingley... or maybe that's the meds? 8) Actually, after this past weekend, I've found out more than I wanted to, and my brain really isn't... just not processing it I guess. (sigh) Maybe in another 17 years I'll be able to put it in prospective...
5thFSEMSG
Vet

Post by 5thFSEMSG » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:14 pm

lw173 wrote:Pretty much, the other brothers have answer as best it can get. You'll most likely hear the same story over and over again. But for one, I will never forget those darn tablets that were given to us for the nerve agents. I and every swinging rifle hated those tablets.

Dont mean to be vulgar but I remember taking them and I thought i needed to urinate, and all of the sudden needed to clear the back blast area. Heck, I think everyone in my platoon went through it. It wasnt funny then, but now thinking about it, that was messed up funny.

Well at least some of us dont have to take those things ever again.

JC
3rd ID
Bco 1/7th INF
Aco 1/29th TRADOC
"Rock of the Marne!"
Pyridiostigmine Bromide is the tablet you're thinking of. When you take it get mild symptoms similar to nerve gas exposure. PB binds with the receptor sites in the body that various nerve gasses bind to so in theory nerve gas won't affect you as much.

Yeah, I believe that. I also belived them when told us we would get lifetime FREE medical care for our families and ourselves. Last time I checked I was paying $460 a year for that "FREE" medical care we are due. We upheld our end of the deal but the government, as usual, fails to maintain their part of the deal. :evil:
5th Mobile Army Surgical Hospital, 5th Forward Surgical Element, Fort Bragg NC, DS/DS Oct 90 to Apr 91

Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 2nd Brigade 1st Infantry Division

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:30 am

Exactly, I owe the VA close to $300 for my med copays right now. That will hold up my tax refund this year while the VA bills my IRS tax refund for their part. Eventually I will get my refund. My wife is a tax preparer and she prepared my taxes last year on February 10th, I owed the VA something like $24 and we did not see our refund until sometime in April because of the VA billing for their part.

I love that free healthcare too. My family of 4 lived off of $28k in 2006 and I still had to pay copays for my meds.
Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
(12/91 - present) - miss the service
(9/90 - 12/91) 2nd Bde 1st Infantry Division - Desert Shield / Desert Storm Combat VET
(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET
(4/88 - 9/88) AIT Fort Gordon, Ga
(12/87 - 3/88) Basic Training Fort Jackson, SC
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell
"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton
FA1SGret
Lifer
Your Gulf War Unit: 3rd Bn 17th Field Artillery

Post by FA1SGret » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:55 am

I have difficulty discussing this because I feel like I'm whining, but really ... when I joined the Army in '76 it was free medical AND dental for me and family for as long as we live, and 30 days free leave per year, and we didn't pay social security and medicare taxes.

The dental for family was severely limited as space available, then cut in the late '70s early 80s.

Medicare and Social Security taxes started about the same time.

Medical is now $460 a year IF you use a military medical treatment facility. If you go 'out of network' the deductibles, co-pays, and out of pocket expenses are considerably higher.

I never did get a 30 day free leave in the whole 20+ years ... check this out ... add the number of days that exceed 28 for each month in a year ... 30! The military pays on a 28 day basis ... the last few days of each month you work, but don't get any more pay ... so they 'give' you 30 days a year of paid leave ... so are you 'getting' anything?

The government, and business, and organizations, and many individuals seem to be out for themselves and their own self interests. I see it alot and I just can't seem to shake the tendancy to hunker down into a gloom and doom mentality.
Desert Shield/Desert Storm/Cease Fire
3rd Bn 17th Field Artillery
210th FA Bde
DS (OPCON) 3/2 ACR, GS 1 ID
FIRE MISSION!
tjlj2000
Recruit

Post by tjlj2000 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:30 pm

Caroline, my name is tom heron. I was with the 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit, 5th MEB.
We were flying around in the air at Kuwait international airport, as well as on the ground. The oil burning left our cloths fully covered in a green substance. Oil is black, but the air particles were a greenish color from the burn. We were also told prior to leaving our ship we were to be given a shot (hemoglobin) or so we were told to help us if we encountered any toxins, poisons ect. It was mandatory, a few of us didn’t want the shots and we were told there would be charges brought against anyone who didn’t accept the shots. Nice right, it’s true. Being government property has drawbacks. I have since the war felt ok. There were times I did get sick but I never thought it was from the war or shots. If later when I do end up guarding heavens streets the autopsy might help. Not to mention I am a world trade center survivor, in the N.Y.P.D I’m sure if the war stuff didn’t kill me the effects of the dust concrete and whatever will someday. Good luck on your paper and be safe.

Tom
Rickey Nelson
Senior Vet
Your Gulf War Unit: 1087th Trans Co.

Post by Rickey Nelson » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:53 pm

Most of us where exposed to the same thing's. but a number of soldiers where exposed to more substances according to what their job was. I am lucky not to have symptoms yet.
DESERT SHIELD/STORM NOV 90-JUN 91

16th support group
4th Trans Batt.
1087 Trans Co.
Road Warrior
SSG Retired..... 1976-1997
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you.
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G.I.
"One died for your soul, the other for your freedom!"
Life Member VFW Post 9573
SFCKMGander
Recruit

Post by SFCKMGander » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:20 pm

Caroline wrote:I've read that soldiers were exposed to toxins that could have contributed to the Gulf War Syndrome.

1} Do you know if you were ever exposed to these toxins? Yes, possibly, My unit (70th Ord Bn) was down wind from the demolition site in Iraq. I was exposed to the same other substances, burning oil, deisel fuel, DEET, etc., just like all the others. I also handled tons of captured Iraqi ammo that my crew and I destroyed through late July 1991.

2} Have you tried recieving medical help or contacted the government? Yes, reluctantly in 2001. I used the VA for some routine health issues in 2004 but got tired of the what I perceived, disbelieving attitude of the doctors.

3} If so, what have they said and provided you? Very little. They listened politely, but I felt the VA was just "going through the motions".

4} Do you believe that veterans with the Gulf War Syndrome are being treated with respect? No. But, I rarely discuss it with anyone but my wife and family doctor. I look good for my age (55), but feel like crap, so people find it hard to believe I'm really sick. The headaches, fatigue, and flu like symptoms got so bad in 2002 I quit working. I subsist on my retirement pay and my wife's earnings. We still do fine though, no financial problems at all. I have good days and bad days.

No I haven't really looked into it anymore. I'm just interested in who else feels like I do.
crockit
Recruit

Post by crockit » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:54 pm

DUDE, i wouldnt even know where to start. Have you read the va paper work latly? what a maze! oh well good luck anyway.
BUT ITS A DRY HEAT$
SFCKMGander
Recruit

Post by SFCKMGander » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:19 pm

crockit wrote:DUDE, i wouldnt even know where to start. Have you read the va paper work latly? what a maze! oh well good luck anyway.
What is the most common complaint of GWS? Mine is headaches, fatigue,and feeling like I got the flu. It's not every day I feel like that, but enough to keep me from enjoying life. The symptoms didn't really impact me much until late 1994. I did notice some unexplained tiredness, headaches, ED, and short term memory loss right after my unit redeployed back to Fort Bliss, Texas (August 1991). I felt decent during a short tour in Kuwait 1996-1997. I retired in 1998 and things have been getting gradually worse.
BUT, I don't feel sorry for myself much when I see 20 something year olds with artificial limbs and such, from action in Iraq or Afghanistan.