combined operations

Please visit this area and participate in various diffrent topics of discussion.
RichardLowry
Author of Gulf War Chronicles
Your Gulf War Unit: Military Historian and Author

3 ID in 1991

Post by RichardLowry » Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:07 pm

easyand,

What is the subject of your diarama? The 3 ID was in Germany in 1991. American Army Infantry divisions use High Mobility Multi Wheeled Vehicles HMMWVs, or Hummers, in many roles. They are used as ambulances, command vehicles, small trucks, recon vehicles, and more.

It is unusual that you are making a diarama of something other than Desert Storm. If you are making a Desert Storm diarama, the 3 Infantry Division was not involved in Desert Storm. However, the 3d Armored Division was part of VII Corps in Iraq. Armored Divisions use HMMWVs in similar roles.

Richard S. Lowry
http://www.gwchronicles.com
RichardLowry
Author of Gulf War Chronicles
Your Gulf War Unit: Military Historian and Author

Post by RichardLowry » Tue Jan 20, 2004 2:50 pm

4th Battalion, 7th Infantry Regiment's home command was the 3 ID but they were attached to the 1st Armored Division. The 3d Armored division supplied some battalions and some support units but the 3ID was not involved in Desert Storm.

As for the breakout of Iraqi Defences-VII Corps, which included 1st Armored Division and 4-7 Infantry, swept around the Iraqi defences. Only the 1st Infantry Division, 1st Cav Division, and the Marines attacked through the Iraqi defensive lines.

1st Brigade of the 1st Armored Division, of which 4-7 Infantry was a part, did not fight the Iraqis until the Battle of the 73d Easting.

Please refer to my book-"The Gulf War Chronicles" or "Iron Soldiers" by Tom Carhart for details.
Arichduck
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: Please add your Unit

Re: combined operations

Post by Arichduck » Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:33 am

easyand wrote::?: I'm italian and i'm a modeler,i'm building a diorama about the 3 infantry division in 1991 and i want to know if the m2a2 bradley of the 3 inf. division have ever operated with the hummer jeeps of the same or other units during the desert storm. If yes, want to know in what contest (for example road blocks, interdiction teams,controls of the pipelines ecc...)
I hope that someone can answer my questions:excuse my english but i can't write very well in this language :cry:
yes?

you mad bob? :roll:
Cyrus
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: Please add your Unit

Post by Cyrus » Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:36 am

he don go pushing bod around you psyko, bobs my man you know so jus back of ya hear
My howercraft is full of eels