PLEASE TELL ME THIS ISN'T SO

Please visit this area and participate in various diffrent topics of discussion.
cpagel
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: Please add your Unit

PLEASE TELL ME THIS ISN'T SO

Post by cpagel » Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:45 am

Has anyone heard of this? This has totally changed my shopping habits. I can't believe it. Also what hurts is that Tony Stewart is my favorite Nascar Driver and a home town resident. I hope he didn't know of this when he drove for the Target sponsored Indy Car. He does support the troops, but I found this horrible and heartbreaking.
I will never step in a target again.

ANYONE INTERESTED IN INDIANA, WE WILL MEET UP AND SET UP A PROTEST AND STAND IN FRONT OF A TARGET STORE IN PROTEST. EMAIL ME IF YOU ARE INTERESTED. I'M EMAILING THE TARGET HEADQUARTERS TO VERIFY PERSONALLY AND WILL POST RESULTS OF EMAIL.

by Dick Forrey of the Vietnam Veterans Association
> Recently we asked the local TARGET store to be a proud sponsor of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall during our spring recognition event.
>
> We received the following reply from the local TARGET management:"Veterans do not meet our area of giving. We only donate to the arts, social action groups, gay &lesbian causes, and education."
>
> So I'm thinking, if the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall and veterans in general do not meet their donation criteria, then something is really wrong at this TARGET store. We were not asking for thousands of dollars, not even hundreds, just a small sponsorship for a memorial remembrance.
>
> As a follow-up, I e-mailed the TARGET U.S. corporate headquarters and their response was the same. That's their national policy.
>
> Then I looked into the company further. They will not allow the Marines to collect for 'Toys for Tots' at any of their stores. And during the recent Iraq deployment, they would not allow families of employees who were called up for active duty to continue their insurance coverage while they were on military service. Then as I dig further, TARGET is a French-owned corporation.
>
> Now, I'm thinking again. If TARGET can not support American Veterans, then why should I and my family support their stores by spending our hard earned American dollars and to have their profits sent to France. Without the American Vets, where would France be today?
>
> Feel free to pass this along to whomever you want.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Dick Forrey
> Veterans helping Veterans
Chad Pagel
founder
Gulf War Crisis Foundation

A Nation which forgets it's defenders, will itself be forgotten.
cpagel
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: Please add your Unit

I may stand Corrected

Post by cpagel » Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:24 am

After some research i found this:
As for toys for tots and letting employees of vets off. I still don't agree with if that is the case, which I can't go by what was posted since i have found the following information which came from the VFW themselves.
I guess we can each draw our own conclusion.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
telephone: 816/968/1168
email: jnewberry@vfw.org
http://www.vfw.org

Today’s Internet A Breeding Ground for Misinformation

Check Facts Before Taking Action

(Kansas City, MO, Dec. 6, 2002)—Although there has been a resurgence of patriotism and support for our nation’s veterans, there have been various messages posted on the Internet that would lead people to believe that corporate America, specifically retail department stores, are falling short in supporting our nation’s veterans.

The Veterans of Foreign Wars would like to remind all that the Internet culture weaves rumors and misinformation. Simply put, don’t believe everything you read. For example, an e-mail message urging veterans to boycott Target has been circulating on the Internet because a solicitation request to support “The Moving Wall” was denied.

Target has a long-held corporate policy regarding donations. And in all fairness, Target contributes more than $2 million weekly to charitable causes and is one of the corporate sponsors for the 2003 tour of the Vietnam Veteran’s Memorial Fund’s “The Wall That Heals.” “The Wall That Heals” is a traveling Vietnam Veterans memorial and museum that has a strong educational component for schools and serves to honor all our veterans
----------------------------------------------------------

Target's Letter to Vets
We want to apologize for any misunderstanding regarding Target's support of the Vietnam Wall and our corporate giving program. Giving back to the communities where our stores are located is something we're proud to do. In fact, nationwide, Target Corporation gives back more than $2 million a week to the communities where we operate stores.

In March of 2002, a Howard County veteran approached one of our stores in his home state of Indiana seeking a $100 cash donation to support a display of the "moving wall." However, stores are not able to give cash contributions to any organization. Contributions from stores are limited and are made in the form of a gift card.

Our corporate giving program that does incorporate cash donations is handled through a process called grants. Unfortunately, the veteran and his organization were not provided the proper information to facilitate consideration of a grant from either the store or our corporate office. We are truly sorry for the manner in which this was handled and the resulting confusion that has taken place.

We accept all applications for grants from February 1 to July 31. Any guest can request a grants application brochure, called "Grant Guidelines," at their local store, or access a grant application at: target.com/target_group/c...nes.jhtml.

Target appreciates the dedication and service of all our veterans and has previously funded projects benefiting veterans. Target Corporation will be one of the sponsors of the 2003 tour of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund's outreach initiative, The Wall That Heals.

Thank you again for your comments.

Sincerely,

Jennifer Hanson

Group Team Leader

Guest Relations
Chad Pagel
founder
Gulf War Crisis Foundation

A Nation which forgets it's defenders, will itself be forgotten.