Organizations

Please visit this area and participate in various diffrent topics of discussion.
saudivet5
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: Please add your Unit

D.C.

Post by saudivet5 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:26 pm

I sent you a pm did you get it? If not let me know, I think I hit the wrong key. Anyway the short side of it was, I meant no harm and I hope we're cool. I had a question about the tpye of dozer you operated. Let me know if you got it. Thanks dc go easy.
"Upon closing eyes, I see demons instead of angels"
doublecheese
Recruit

Post by doublecheese » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:29 pm

We had CAT D6, and a couple of D5s. a very rough ride. we didnt have enough trucks to get to the front, so we asumed equipment from a constrction company in saudi. JUNK! some 1960 japaneis garbadge called KUMOTZU, i was lucky becuse i had my assinged equipment from FT. BENNING GA. We had about 6 or 7 not a big unit, we were only a company. but we got task alot.
saudivet5
Recruit

cool

Post by saudivet5 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:42 pm

Yea, I remember seeing a few of those, you guys got pretty close to the highway assault too , and you’re right the Saudi’s were there on the Basrah strip pushing the destroyed vehicles off the road and sickingly enough some of the remains of the deceased we had to collect. You guys heard those 1000lb bombs too I imagine, those damn things, as close as we were, were knocking us off our feet. It was crazy. I always wanted to drive one of those dozers, the good ones not those cheap Saudi ones those kept breaking down it was hard to sometimes distinguish them from the destroyed one other than the damage factor, they looked old and like shit.
Rickey Nelson
Senior Vet
Your Gulf War Unit: 1087th Trans Co.

Post by Rickey Nelson » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:07 pm

they where not D6F's where they.. we had one borrowed that I ran. not much power. I operate a D6R on my job. a cadillac. Cab with a/c and a sound system...listen to what ever I want.
DESERT SHIELD/STORM NOV 90-JUN 91

16th support group
4th Trans Batt.
1087 Trans Co.
Road Warrior
SSG Retired..... 1976-1997
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you.
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G.I.
"One died for your soul, the other for your freedom!"
Life Member VFW Post 9573
saudivet5
Recruit

Post by saudivet5 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:35 pm

I believe they were, blade on the front, medium size, the ones that I saw were od green there were some that were converted to desert biege, those were a bit larger then there wer some that had a blade on th front and a bucket in the rear. The ones that came through and created the roadway to the highway site for us as we made our way there, we had to wait on them it was like thae scraped a little ,we drove a little back and forth till we got into posistions behind those damn sand dunes although When the shit hit the fan I was glad for all those sand bags and those dunes. Those dozers were mid sized slow with an angled blade on the front and an open cab. but the ones I saw near the roadway had been there pushing up the dunes the they left, those were the one That I thought were the D6F's not many at all ,really I can rememberber about 2 or 3 way in the distance towards the west behind the dunes those were their when the air strike started.
saudivet5
Recruit

Post by saudivet5 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:51 pm

D5s we saw on the way in trying to push through as well, to join the others in helping with that damn road it was a bitch for all you dozer guys I feel for you. You guys stayed balls to the wall the whole time in country,I feel for the medics too the shit i was in the middle of, I had never seen those guys had it rough too troops from the front were gettin pounded by the repubilcan gaurd, landmines cluster bombs all kinds of shit, its one thing to see people already gone but trying to save lives man I feel for the medics,I saw what the spoils of war looked like we all did to some degree, but the medics had to put them back together and that I know is hell, but you guys (dozzer ops.) never got a break, you guys were in demand I know we had to postpone our end to wait for you guys so I can imagine the damn stress,and pressure to perform plus the sites you guys had to go thtrouh im sure werent the greatest
crockitt89
Recruit

bull dozer

Post by crockitt89 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:13 pm

actully, alot of the engrs. went across 24 hours early to make the breach. IE" 130TH ENGR. 20TH ENGR. 92 ENGR. 72ND ENGR. and a host of many many more. IT was a star studet night with all your favorite engr celebrities and stars. ARMED with a trusty m-16, 3 rolls shit paper, 2 case of mre,s 1 husler magazine, 3 bags melted m/ms, 1 case of that crappy bottled water. I almost forgot the 3 spools of det cord, and 1 crate of c-4.we also marked the mine field ,put up the post and marked the route with cem lights, 10 hours of work only to have that sand storm that night blind the way, ANYBODY remember that?[/quote]
saudivet5
Recruit

Post by saudivet5 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:30 am

Yea I know you guys plowed over loaded trenches(iraqi) we had to go back through after the shit storm(after the 2 mar) and take care of those arms, legs and gun barrels sticking out of the ground so the press wouldn't have a field day, no pun intended,... oh yea i almost forgot a shovel, a t-bar hay hook, ropecord, a hacksaw(rigor you know), and shit paper. any of you guys remember that one?...
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 2nd Brigade 1st Infantry Division

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:09 pm

In a televised interview with Col. Anthony Moreno (2nd Brigade 1st Infantry Division - Dagger Brigade), he admitted to using ACE's and tanks with mine plows on them to fill in the trenches full of Iraquis who refused to surrender. That was done after the troops used an M163 Vulcan Antiaircraft gun to litteraly shred the trenches and everything/everyone still in them. Heat rounds were fired into bunkers if small arms fire kept coming out of them then the M1s were driven over the bunkers to collapse them.
Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
(12/91 - present) - miss the service
(9/90 - 12/91) 2nd Bde 1st Infantry Division - Desert Shield / Desert Storm Combat VET
(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET
(4/88 - 9/88) AIT Fort Gordon, Ga
(12/87 - 3/88) Basic Training Fort Jackson, SC
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell
"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton
saudivet5
Recruit

Post by saudivet5 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:25 pm

Yea, it was an interesting sight afterward,I didn't see that stuff first hand ,just had to make things look good ,you know, They had us wlking along the trench lines and anything stickink out we either had to push it down, cover it up or cut it off and spread sand deep enough so if the press stepped on it or them, they wouldn't start shitting pics all over the place. it sucked and i live with dumb shit like that every day as many of you do.The main problem is is that there were alot of us that were pulled out of our normal units to do these damn details and thus since our main unit wasn't threr niether were you any one else having that problem,When you are told to go do something by a ranking officer ,you do it you dont ask why you just do,...Its a battle in itsself ive been diagnosed with PTSD by my va PTSD clinic. I just filled a claim im already 50% i wonder how much shit ill have to go through. My evaluation was very clear Exposure to war...Any thoughts just curious.
5thFSEMSG
Vet

Post by 5thFSEMSG » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:17 pm

Good thing you have battle experience. You're gonna need it dealing with the VA. The ultimate victory against them is to get a Permanent and Total rating. That opens a lot of benefit doors. College payment of $866 per month for your kids & Spouse, ChampVA medical benefits for you and your family if you aren't retired from the military and already have Tricare, and Vocational Rehabilitation training for you. It's not like having your health back, God knows I'd pay them back every dime to have my health back, but it helps alot.

I remember the wounded pouring for the first 72 hours of the war. I had no sleep, little food, and a blood soaked uniform. The smell of carbide and body fluids is very distinct and if go near a shooting range it sets off all kinds of unplesant flashbacks. Helicopters, air raid sirens, and unexpected, sudden loud noises do the same. Sometimes the flash backs are so severe I literally don't know if I'm in North Carolina or Iraq. Any of y'all have flashbacks that bad?
5th Mobile Army Surgical Hospital, 5th Forward Surgical Element, Fort Bragg NC, DS/DS Oct 90 to Apr 91

saudivet5
Recruit

Post by saudivet5 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:38 pm

Yep!!!,I feel like that too sometimes , I picked up the dead and the body parts of the dead and at night when I try to sleep ghosts haunt me, i hardly ever sleep I know you know what i mean when i say ghosts. I dont have trash pick up at my house so I have to go to our land fill to dump our trash . Two things get me when I go, First thing is the damn dozers, In iraq the air strikes pretty much killed everything around and in the aftermath they had engineers push the dead bodies into a pile and then into graves(big ass holes) ,so seeing the dozers at the dump put me there,Second thing is the smell, the one that finnally sent me to the VA PTSD clinic was this: my wife had bought 2 boston butt roasts at the store on sale ,well before we could cook them they started going bad so she threw them in the trash, I sat the bag outside and the into our minivan, Well, my memory has issues and sometimes I cant remember short term memories and needless to say I forgot that I put that bag into the van. this was on a friday and my wife and I stayed home all weekend, We both are Students Im using my Voc. Rehab, shes taking her last core class.anyway monday morning we got up got dressed to go to school and she went to the drivers side and I went to the pasengers side when i opned the door all I could smekll was that meat, it smelled just exactly like one of those dead bodies. First it threw me physically with the smell but I tried to maintain some composure,and I told my wife to wait at home and I went to the dump. that whole ride was wierd man, parts of it were here at the present and part was me drving in the desert hauling bodies to yhe grave sites, I dont know how I managed to get home, but I did . Then my wife drove us to school. When I was in desert storm i had to throw the dead bodies and parts into a duece and a half I rode in the bak to the sites while the driver drove us there. So all the way to school I thought I was in a damn duece and a half in the desert Iit was so damn vivid and I swear it seemed real. We got to school and my wife had to shove me to snap me out of it. The smell that was left in the van kept me lost man really lost, so the next day I went to my shrink and told him , he referred me to the clinic and the evaluated me with PTSD,Chronic with Associated panic attacks. Along With a seporate diagnosis of Major Depression Disorder ,Modorate,Reccurrent From exposure to war. so I filed a claim .I get small things like smells ,noises,sirens too but that one put me over the edge. so I know how you feel