Things you hate since the war.

Please visit this area and participate in various diffrent topics of discussion.
InSearch
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: United States Marine Corps

Re: Things you hate since the war.

Post by InSearch » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:40 pm

Redfish,

Thanks for the answer. You have really given me something to think about as your answer was insightful and educational. I believe that the 1 out of 5 could really get lost in the shuffle. It may have been much better if these stressors could have been dealt with closer to the time they occured. It is like anything in life, if you don't deal with now and leave it unattended; the situation will be much worse when it surfaces later.

I can tell when the "kids" have some of the events that occur out here on their mind and want to express themselves. I just let them talk and I listen and give feedback always keeping it positive. I try to steer everything to what was learned and not how bad it was and worse it could have been. There is no "Macho" judgements this way, every man will have days they really need to express themselves to help process the events. It makes them no less a warrior and as our Vietnam brothers would say "It don't mean nothing". We are all brothers and have to watch out for each other. The "kids" have much more awareness and support "forward" than I member from the "Storm".

While PTSD is very real, I do believe that the term gets tossed around and is not fully understood (or explained). My laymen's perspective, matches up with the facts you presented of 1 out of 5 will have issues with processing events so common in war. I believe that some will be dealing with these issues for the long haul, others will have rough times at first but move on; while many will process it at the time and "Charlie Mike". And by the nature of their profession, Psychiatrist could keep diagnosing us all with something indefinitely. The media seems to believe that 5 out 5 veterans will be effected for the long term and want to present this viewpoint, but that is a whole different story.

Hey Brother...If networking with fellow "storm" veterans on this forum helps you regain kinship, comradere and is positive in your life.. who am I to question or criticize the process.

I want to thank you for your service and taking your time to "school" a fellow vet.

Take Care
Vindic8
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: B co 2/16 Infantry, 2nd Brigade, 1st Infantry Division

Post by Vindic8 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:26 pm

I hate flies and I hate camels. I mainly hate camels because they bring the flies.
redfish
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 24th Infantry Division, 197th Infantry Brigage, 72 Engr Co.

Post by redfish » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:25 am

I hate people who stand too close to you in line @ walmart.
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
197th Infantry 72 ENGR CO
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"
d34gunner
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: 3rd Platoon Dco 4/34 Armor 8th ID

Post by d34gunner » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:33 pm

where do I start...
civilians just piss me off to no extent...in my eyes, at least 98% have no concept of team work. it's 'what's in it for me?' or when something goes wrong, 'it's not my fault, so & so didn't do this' and take no responsibility for their actions.
large crowds...my heart starts to pound, my head spins, my head throbs till I can get on the edge of the crowd.
lady bugs...can't stand the damned things
posers...PX Rangers just piss me off and I do love to mess with their little brains
heat...it just drains me and living in Texas I just gotta deal with it
sudden loud noises...if I know it's coming I'm ok but unexpected loud noises just scar the shit out of me. I have had several people try to come up behind me thinking it's funny to try to scare me till I unloaded on an 'ol boy at work...funny how quick word gets around.
the feeling of being closed in...I absolutely can not stand the feeling of being boxed in...and being a tanker, I find that just odd as hell
Westboro Baptist Church...nuff said there
Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, screamin'...HOLY SHIT!! What a Ride!!
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 2nd Brigade 1st Infantry Division

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:22 pm

closed in, most likely because you were a tanker and what you went through while closed insde that tank
Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
(12/91 - present) - miss the service
(9/90 - 12/91) 2nd Bde 1st Infantry Division - Desert Shield / Desert Storm Combat VET
(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET
(4/88 - 9/88) AIT Fort Gordon, Ga
(12/87 - 3/88) Basic Training Fort Jackson, SC
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell
"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton
redfish
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by redfish » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:09 pm

Impulsive anger flashes that want me to smash and break stuff.
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:25 pm

redfish wrote:Impulsive anger flashes that want me to smash and break stuff.
Ive gotten away from those, mine are more verbal outbursts these days and most of them are towards my kids. It kills me seconds later when I realize what I just did and I immediately hug them and apologize for saying it. They know Daddy doesn't mean it but it still hurts them regardless. I can already see them thinking years from now that Daddy was a real dick to us when we were younger.
Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
(9/90 - 12/91) 2nd Bde 1st Infantry Division - Desert Shield / Desert Storm Combat VET
(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell
- General George Patton
redfish
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by redfish » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:24 pm

I've done that and felt that way. Remember I told my 19 year old I would choke her to death one night last year. I haven't seen her or spoke to her since. Feels bad
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"
d34gunner
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: 3rd Platoon Dco 4/34 Armor 8th ID

Post by d34gunner » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:53 pm

For me, throwing things have seemed to stop (I realized whatever I broke we had to buy again and I’m cheap) but the verbal abuse was really bad for a long time. My oldest is 20 now and i remember her asking my wife 'is daddy in a bad mood again today' and if the wife told her yes, she would run to her room, shut the door, and tell her two sisters not to go out there. The only time my wife has ever put her foot down and stood up to me was the time I started to follow the kid to her room. My wife told me she would shot me while I was asleep if I opened that door and i knew from the look in her eyes she would have. For many years my wife would stand there and take it all, soaking up all my stupidity like a sponge. Although the outbursts still happen, they have started to become fewer, only about 4 or 5 times a week and not as harsh. Both the oldest two girls have since moved out. My 'war trophy' just turned 19. She moved out while i was at work one day last summer. She tells me she told me and i just forgot but my wife told me the truth and i cried like a baby. A couple of weeks ago it got really cold around here and the oldest girl came home with her baby and the next day her sister came by saying her pipes were frozen with no heat so for a few days we were all together again. I could tell both of them were walking on egg shells and that just hurts my heart. I know I took away a part of them that they can never get back. I have sat down with all three and tried to apologize. They tell me its ok, no need to feel bad, that everything is ok but I know better.
Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, screamin'...HOLY SHIT!! What a Ride!!
redfish
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by redfish » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:35 am

Thanx for sharing that bro. Sounds like a lot of us. Damn shame too
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"
Gunbunny
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: 4thBN/5thFA

Post by Gunbunny » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:54 pm

I asked around the VA about getting 1200 dollars and help to finding a place to live for merely homeless vets because I am going through a forclosure process right now and if anyone could tell me where they got that info, I would really appreciate it. The VA told me they didn,t know anything about it. I need some help please. Thank-you.
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:48 am

The VA has homeless vet programs and depending on your local VA, they can help with housing vouchers. Your may not and they s why they said they did not know. Ask your local DAV is they know of anything through the VA that might help you. You are less likely to get blown off that way.
Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
-George Orwell
- General George Patton
Gunbunny
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: 4thBN/5thFA

Post by Gunbunny » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:41 pm

Thanks, DAGGER ! I will check into that. I just now realized that I didnt write this in the right topic maybe. Any way while I'm here, I hate the racing thoughts leading to irrational thinking and hasty in decisions. Fireworks, thunder, loud and sudden noises, standing in lines,crouds and everything everybody else hates. take care everyone!