Things you hate since the war.

Please visit this area and participate in various diffrent topics of discussion.
FA1SGret
Lifer
Your Gulf War Unit: 3rd Bn 17th Field Artillery

Re: Things you hate since the war.

Post by FA1SGret » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:54 pm

It was the same way on active duty in some places ... I've seen section chiefs, platoon sergeants, and officers all on a first name basis ... to close to each other, interconnected ... the Reserves and National Guard take a big hit though ... they are designed to be activated and integrated with a little time, money, and leadership.

I've actually seen a M151 w/ trailer full of ice doing a resupply on a gun line. "We are in a hot impact area from my perimeter to well outside the maximum range off anything inside this perimeter", was the response to my response ... "The only thing that could happen is that we could blow ourselves up and we aint gonna do that". Fire Mission! I swapped from gunner to No.2 and the first fuze can I opened had a six pack in it ... on ice.

That was active duty ... a lot more goes on than ya think ... Active, Reserve, National Guard, Civilian ... there is always something wrong in the unit your in ... the next unit will be better than this one, etc. I'd go back in ... but I'd be a lot different ...

Sorry if the spelling is skewed ... I've been drinking a little wine.
Desert Shield/Desert Storm/Cease Fire
3rd Bn 17th Field Artillery
210th FA Bde
DS (OPCON) 3/2 ACR, GS 1 ID
FIRE MISSION!
SOG5-7ADA
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: Please add your Unit

Post by SOG5-7ADA » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:06 am

Maybe someone here can share a little light. I have a claim in for PTSD with VA. Deispite seeing doctors and taking meds at this point, my still having problems with depression, isolation, sleeping, thoughts of not wanting to be here and anger. I do have a family and my kids are my life. But I do wonder at times where I'd be if I didn't ! My current wife doesn't really understand why I am the way I am. She just believes I'm a pissed off individual all the time. Like a lot of us after DS, we had problems in our relationships with our spouses and some divorced. I was one of the statistics. After 10 years of being a military family, Desert Storm seemed to have just screwed that up or at least helped me screw it up.

It just seems like after DS and leaving active duty, life really sucks. Even more so now being disabled and being limited in my activities.
Have a Blessed Day
SOG
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 2nd Brigade 1st Infantry Division

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:48 am

I am kinda curious now, what meds you guys taking?

I am currently on:

Bupropion (Welbutrin)
Sertraline (Zoloft)

Was on Citalopram
Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
(12/91 - present) - miss the service
(9/90 - 12/91) 2nd Bde 1st Infantry Division - Desert Shield / Desert Storm Combat VET
(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET
(4/88 - 9/88) AIT Fort Gordon, Ga
(12/87 - 3/88) Basic Training Fort Jackson, SC
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell
"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton
FA1SGret
Lifer
Your Gulf War Unit: 3rd Bn 17th Field Artillery

Post by FA1SGret » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:29 am

I found the VA Behavioral Health folks to be a good source of information about PTSD and its effects. You can walk into any Behavioral Health clinic as a walk-in and see a provider. Individual and group therapy helped me gain a lot on understanding about why I behave the way that I do ... it hasn't solved or eliminated the behavior, but at least I now know why.

Life does suck ... I fight the feelings of inadequacy (sp) daily. I really admire the folks that are able to work and deal with physical and emotional wounds. I'll get back to work someday ... hopefully.

The VA also has programs for families ... they can work with spouses and children of veterans with PTSD ... maybe that could offer some understanding for your wife.

Meds?

I can't take any meds for the PTSD symptoms ... most of the antidepressants are listed as allergies for me ... I am too sensitive to the medications ... even at very low doses they throw me into a wierd state ... dangerous state too ... so I don't take anything ... actually not don't, but can't take anything for the PTSD symptoms.

Have a great day.
Desert Shield/Desert Storm/Cease Fire
3rd Bn 17th Field Artillery
210th FA Bde
DS (OPCON) 3/2 ACR, GS 1 ID
FIRE MISSION!
wmebert
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: Dco 3/327th Inf 101st Airborne Division

Post by wmebert » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:16 pm

Meds: 80 mg of Prozac Daily since 1999.

0.5 mg of Lorazapam 2 to 3 times a day as needed. They help to take the edge off of things and allow people that piss me off to remain among the living. :evil:

Initially tried 2 other meds at the beginning; Wellburtin (sp?) and another one I can't recall. They made things worse. I would stay in bed for days. It's hard to keep a job that way.....

One of my VA counselors says Alcohol is a good way to treat depression, it's just a matter of getting the dose right. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by wmebert on Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CSC 1/87 Inf, 8th ID, Baumholder, GE 81-83
CSC 4/9 Inf, HHC 1/9 Inf, 7th ID Fort Ord, CA 83-87
CSC 1/506th Inf, 2nd ID, Camp Greaves, ROK 87-88
Army Recruiter, 100 Oaks Mall, Nashville, TN 88-90
D Co. 3/327th Inf. 101st ABN, Fort Campbell, KY Desert Shield/Desert Storm 90-92
Various USAR & NG Units 1992-2004 AR, OH, PA
SOG5-7ADA
Recruit

Post by SOG5-7ADA » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:58 am

Well I take

Welbutrin once daily
Oxycodone 15mg, 4 times a day or as needed
Warfrin 10mg daily
Ambian once in the evening

Now don't quote my on the spelling now.
Have a Blessed Day
SOG
BigPoppa69
Recruit

Post by BigPoppa69 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:34 pm

You all don’t know how much I appreciate all of your input. I just found this site last night, but I can’t tell you how much better I feel already. I wouldn’t wish this living hell on anybody, but it is reassuring to know I’m not alone. My best friend was there with us, and we talk about our experiences & feelings, but there again we are only two.

The Houston area VA sucks on every level! If you are lucky enough to actually be able to talk to somebody, it’s evident that the only thing they give two shits about is their next donut. They are just a bunch of paper pushers with no clue of what we’ve been through, and a cookie cutter load of bullshit to discourage any progress. I watched my Grandfather go through the same run-around 30 years ago, and it hasn’t changed. I was actually diagnosed with PTSD through a civilian doctor after I came home, but all he wanted to do is pill me up to the point I couldn’t function, so I’ve just tried to deal with it since then.

I wouldn’t trade my Military or Desert Storm experience for anything in this world, but I do believe it has impacted certain areas of my life, especially family & relationships. My Family has been as supportive as they can be, can’t say as much for wives!

I’ll quit rambling for now, but I’ll be back. I’m glad to find this site and all of you all! Thanx a million!
SOG5-7ADA
Recruit

Post by SOG5-7ADA » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:12 pm

This is a great site my brother. I found it as well not to long ago. I'll I can say is keep coming back. I realize that I wasn't the only one out there.
Have a Blessed Day
SOG
aggieal
Recruit

Post by aggieal » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:45 pm

BigPoppa69 wrote:
The Houston area VA sucks on every level!
The only way they'll give a diagnose of PTSD is if you have the award saying you were in combat. I was a mechanic so no CIB, not wounded and for E6 and below highest award you could get was ARCOM. This month I received a letter awarding 30% for depression and anxiety so guess I sould feel lucky for that.
aggieal
Recruit

Post by aggieal » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:21 am

Dagger X-Ray wrote:I am kinda curious now, what meds you guys taking?
I'm currently on
Venlafaxine (Effexor) AM

in the evenings its
Risperidone
Clonazepam
Prazosin

I don't yell at the wife as much but I still have no interest in anything. At night I'm still fihting in my sleep but can't remember a thing in the morning. Wife complains that she has to get out off bed all the time.
MMeilleur
Recruit

Post by MMeilleur » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:37 am

TOP 6 things I have developed a venal hatred of since DS:

6. Sand in my shoes (and finding sand while Qtipping my ears...)
5. Dusty Furniture - dusty anything
4. Broken AC units - When I hear the compressioner straining, I start to sweat...
3. Checkpoints/road blocks/ID checks - don't point ANY gun at me EVER. Barrels DOWN. HANDS off the trigger.
2. Banana (or other flavored) milk
1. Camping in the desert - I live in Kuwait absolutely will NOT go camping - no way - no how - not even volunteer with the Boy Scouts, Nope. Never
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 2nd Brigade 1st Infantry Division

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:45 am

Are you American? What unit were you in? Did you stay in Kuwait or did you move there after the war?
Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
(12/91 - present) - miss the service
(9/90 - 12/91) 2nd Bde 1st Infantry Division - Desert Shield / Desert Storm Combat VET
(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET
(4/88 - 9/88) AIT Fort Gordon, Ga
(12/87 - 3/88) Basic Training Fort Jackson, SC
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell
"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton
MMeilleur
Recruit

Post by MMeilleur » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:34 pm

yep, american and now kuwaiti too.
i was irr and a student at harvard during invasion after a long spell on active and in reserves/guard. my initial unit was some backwater civil affairs brigade from South Carolina (i was a 'filler' - filled a critical vacancy for deployment and not a regular member of the unit) then i stayed on in saudi after the unit shipped back helping load ships then ran the mwr warehouse
ended up marrying a former kuwaiti interpretor assigned to the unit (no, it was not a battlefield courtship)
DS vets are a strange lot mostly, but my story is downright weird
SEE MY POST ABOUT AUTOGRAPHS - I WANT YOUR AUTOGRAPH
Redmaxx
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.

Post by Redmaxx » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:35 am

I hate that they lump the Storm together with OIF. We were a completely different war. I have found myself lately being unable to hunt or shoot a gun/rifle/pistol. I can do it in video games but not in real life. I don't know why. We went to a Tigers game last year and they pulled us out of the stands due to a thunder/lightening storm and between the thunder and the crowd, I almost couldn't take it. Luckily we found a spot were I could look out into an empty area and have my back to the crowd. Even though I hated having my back to the crowd, I had to do something to not get panicy.
B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.
SSR Platoon
Operation Desert Shield/Storm/Cease Fire 1990/1991
dbotsfordtat
Recruit

Post by dbotsfordtat » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:12 pm

I hate the Government, I hate Wall Street, I hate what has happened to our Country because of the greed those two institutions have shown. I hate that they started the RIF before we even got back from the desert and that so many of the people I served with lost their careers because they weren't needed anymore, they called it the peace dividend. I hate VA, its a shitty place designed to kill vets with animosity. I hate that the shitheads in Washington and Wall Street have so much when many in our country have nothing. No need to scour the globe looking for bad guy's, they're where they've always been, Washington and Wall Street.

Hey Washington, guess which finger is purple and sticking straight up.

end rant/
Tattoo/ custom bike painter and all around grouch
to date.
Schweinfurt, Germany
Aco, 3-64 Armor 92-94
Desert Shield/Storm
Aco, 4-66 Armor 90-92
Aco, HHC, 3-33 Armor -4/8 Cav 86-90
407th S&S 82nd Airborne 83-86