Things you hate since the war.

Please visit this area and participate in various diffrent topics of discussion.
5thFSEMSG
Vet
Your Gulf War Unit: Please add your Unit

Things you hate since the war.

Post by 5thFSEMSG » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:53 pm

Don't why I'm thinking of this stuff today. Maybe because it's monday, and it's hot, and my wife wants us to go to the frigging beach. Anyway these are the things I hate since the war.

Heat. I hate the heat, it makes me sick and weak. I'll take a sub freezing day anytime over a day in the 80s or higher.

Sudden noises. I can't stand those, they ramp me up to hyperalert status and I stay that way for days sometimes. It's truly exhausting. Sometimes I cuss out loud or jump behind solid objects. Humiliating.

Helicopters. I can't stand them, they are always filled to the brim with wounded. I can indentify each type by sound, and the pitch tells me how much of a load they are carrying and how soon they will approach to land. In my mind, the load is always more wounded. I have to help the 'copter land, off load the wounded, and treat them. Even though the wounded aren't really there anymore, they are still there. 16 years later they are still there.

The beach. I really hate the beach. What a horrid place, sand everywhere, crashing surf, it's nauseating. What's worse is my wants to take a few days off and go to Myrtle Beach and I can't get her to understand how much I hate the beach. It would be like asking her to stick her hand in a jar full of spiders. The closer the date gets, the worse my head hurts and the more nauseaus I become. I don't know how I'll react when I get there. They tell me I'm supposed to meet her half way on stuff like this. This is way beyond halfway.

Air Raid sirens. The type the firehouse 1/2 mile from house uses to call in the volunteer firefighters. I can't stand that, but I'm better than I used to be about it. I still slap my hip looking for my protective mask and occassionally jump into the ditch in the side of the yard, like it was a bunker. Time was I would roust up my family and make them all head for the bunker.

People sneaking up on me. I almost killed a co-worker who snuck up on me and jabbed me in the ribs. I throat slammed her into the wall behind her before I even realized what I was doing. I had warned her not to sneak up on me like and told her why, but she was thick headed and wouldn't listen. It didn't cost me my job, but it did cost her her job.

Civilians. Not Veterans, just your basic issue, never served his/her country, takes all of our freedoms for granted type of civilians. Undiciplined, couldn't work as a team if you held a gun to their heads, no sense of loyality, honor, or duty. I hate 'em. I have protected them and would do so again if needed, but I hate them.

All unreasonable to the maximum, but there it is. I don't try to figure it out anymore. I just deal with it with the help of the Vet Center and some medications. No wonder they say I can't work anymore.
5th Mobile Army Surgical Hospital, 5th Forward Surgical Element, Fort Bragg NC, DS/DS Oct 90 to Apr 91

lw173
Soldier

You Got It Bad

Post by lw173 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:13 am

Man, you do have it bad, but I can honestly say that, I have similar situations.

For example, I can truly relate when people sneak up on me, specially when im sound asleep, is like i feel a presence and ball up my fist like I have a K-bar in my hand and go for the throat. My wife and friends experieced my state and had told me about it.

Also, whenever I run, I have this thing to pick up my arms like if I was running with my weapon, oh and the finger ready to pull the trigger. Sometimes I found myself looking around on top of buildings and looking for targets, for no aparent reason.

I know it sounds crazy but it does happen, I have manage to tell myself that Im ok that is all in my head, but sometimes I cant help it.

So in a way I can relate to what your saying. Just stay cool, and dont kill anybody.. (lol)

Stay frosty...

JC

3rd ID 1/7 INF
"Once you pull the pin, Mr. Grenade is not your friend anymore."
wmebert
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: Dco 3/327th Inf 101st Airborne Division

Post by wmebert » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:46 am

I'm with you on the heat-hating. Any kind of work in any amount of heat or humidity makes me sweat profusely. I spend most of the summer with my place cooled to 68 degrees.

Loud noises, sirens, crowds of people, Vet-posers, guys that claim they were SF/Ranger/CIA/Delta Force or were in "Top Secret units they can't talk about" only to learn they had a supply MOS (no offense to any supply guys out there) to name a few more things. After 10 years of active duty I had a hard time dealing with the Reserves/National Guard units I was assigned to. I finally gave up trying to get used to the Army being a part-time job.

That's about it for now. Don't want to come off too negative...
CSC 1/87 Inf, 8th ID, Baumholder, GE 81-83
CSC 4/9 Inf, HHC 1/9 Inf, 7th ID Fort Ord, CA 83-87
CSC 1/506th Inf, 2nd ID, Camp Greaves, ROK 87-88
Army Recruiter, 100 Oaks Mall, Nashville, TN 88-90
D Co. 3/327th Inf. 101st ABN, Fort Campbell, KY Desert Shield/Desert Storm 90-92
Various USAR & NG Units 1992-2004 AR, OH, PA
lw173
Soldier

Post by lw173 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:56 pm

I Agree with you on the posser thing. I mean why is that. I'm a grunt and proud of it. But for example, there was this guy that kept telling me that he was SF, and kept asking me "what is your corn, or korn krn?" I am not sure what he was asking me. I mean I have brothers in my frat that were SF but they dont go telling people about what they did.

But what I've learned is that men that were in combat arms already know who and what they are. And is a shame that some guys, try to pose. I mean that drives me nuts. I mean I dont care what a brother did, but please tell the truth. What even funnier is when you find out that they werent anyone of what that person said.
"Once you pull the pin, Mr. Grenade is not your friend anymore."
5thFSEMSG
Vet

Post by 5thFSEMSG » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:54 pm

I don't get the whole poser concept. If you want to be a Soldier, then be a Soldier. Don't lie about it. Don't pump up your career, most Lifers I know didn't need to bump up their careers. If the highest award you have is an AAM, then be proud of that AAM. You earned it, it's worth more than a hundred PX AAMs.

If you only fought in the Cold War, you still did your part to help the Soviet Union fall. That's something to be proud of. Sure there are guys out there with lots of fruit salad, they were in the right place at the right time. I know quite a few guys with Silver Stars, but I don't have the urge to run over to the PX, buy one, and put it on my uniform. I'm proud of what I have and that's enough for me.
5th Mobile Army Surgical Hospital, 5th Forward Surgical Element, Fort Bragg NC, DS/DS Oct 90 to Apr 91

Redmaxx
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.

Post by Redmaxx » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:52 am

I hate crowds. I get really nervous and start looking for the exits. This can be at a grocery store, an apple orchard or at a VFW function. I am also not a big fan of volley ball or sand. Loud noises bother me now as well (being in Detroit on New Years Eve sucks). Even the sound of a helicopter flying over bothers me. I can still tell the difference between helicopters by the sound that they make. And last but certainly not least, the Arabs protesting in East Dearborn.
B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.
SSR Platoon
Operation Desert Shield/Storm/Cease Fire 1990/1991
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 2nd Brigade 1st Infantry Division

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:24 pm

Thunder storms bother me, the distant rumblings and way-off lightning remind me of the Air Force doing their thing off in the distance. I get all creepy feeling about it and just want to go some where that I don't have to see it or hear it much.

Crowds get to me also, I hate sitting with my back to everyone too. I prefer to pick my seat first so I see most of whats going on.
Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
(12/91 - present) - miss the service
(9/90 - 12/91) 2nd Bde 1st Infantry Division - Desert Shield / Desert Storm Combat VET
(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET
(4/88 - 9/88) AIT Fort Gordon, Ga
(12/87 - 3/88) Basic Training Fort Jackson, SC
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell
"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton
5thFSEMSG
Vet

Post by 5thFSEMSG » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:00 pm

I can't sit with my back to the door. I have to face all entrances or I can't calm down and enjoy my meal.

txhis
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: 82nd Airborne

Post by txhis » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:47 pm

-The feeling of large crowds

-The sound and smell of rain, yes rain as it rained like hell in the winter of 91 in the desert and there was just no place to go to avoid being soaked.

-The smell of smoke and other things burning

-And yes I too must know where the entrances/exits are when I go into a place and must sit facing them.
82nd ABN Division
Desert Storm Veteran

Republic of Panama
San Antonio, TX

"There are some who've forgotten why we have a military. It's not to promote war; it's to be prepared for peace." -Ronald Reagan
5thFSEMSG
Vet

Post by 5thFSEMSG » Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:18 pm

Panhandlers. Panhandlers make my blood boil. I had enough of having hands stuck out at me with the phrase "5 dollar Mister?" to last me two lifetimes. Here in the states I ignore them or yell at them to get a job. Over there if I had the money to spare and the time, I'd make them earn the $5 by doing something productive. I simply don't give away money because someone wants it, regardless of how bad their situation might look.

If I see a person holding up a "Disabled Veteran please help" sign I have difficulty not stopping the car and beating the crap out of them. If they are truly disabled the VA will help. I'm 100% disabled and I know that they can get help if simply ask for it. Shoot if they are merely homeless the VA will give them $1200 a month for some place to live. All they have to do is go to the nearest VA facility and ask. In a town like Fayetteville, there is no excuse for ignorance in their rights as a Veteran. The only thing they need is a copy of their DD-214 and they VA can help them pull that up online if they have lost their original.

SaucyWench
Lifer
Your Gulf War Unit: "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!"

Post by SaucyWench » Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:40 pm

Wow. I'm not sure why I'm surprised to see things in print and think, "Yeah..." It shouldn't be a surprise to know others out there feel the same; I guess I just really hadn't thought about it.

Fireworks. At first, it was the same uneasy feeling at the sound as the previously mentioned loud noises and rumbling, but now it's sort of the principle of the thing too... how mass hoards can sit around getting drunk and eating hot dogs while "celebrating" our nation's freedom with little thought to the numbers who actually died "watching rockets' red glare".
rodneyw71
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 354th TFW

Post by rodneyw71 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:53 pm

Holy crap, I have alot of these things, I thought I was just weird, and never really put to much thought into it....but reading all of your posts, it sounds like we all have the same thing going on. I hope that came out right. lol
Desert Storm, KFIA, Dec. '90- May '91
RAF Alconbury, UK. '90-'92
KI. Sawyer AFB, MI. '92
434th ARW/LRS, Grissom ARB, IN. 2007-Present
OIF 506th ELRS, Kirkuk, Iraq Sept. '09-Jan. '10
Redmaxx
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.

Post by Redmaxx » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:56 am

How is the cold Rodney?
B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.
SSR Platoon
Operation Desert Shield/Storm/Cease Fire 1990/1991
wmebert
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: Dco 3/327th Inf 101st Airborne Division

Post by wmebert » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:34 am

I'm with you on the fireworks. When the town I live in has their big July 4th display I get out of town. It took me a couple of years to make the connection between the fireworks & the nightmares. Now I stay away at all costs.

I lived in the south for a while and when the town blew their Tornado sirens it would scare the crap out of me. I'd wake up with my heart in my throat.
CSC 1/87 Inf, 8th ID, Baumholder, GE 81-83
CSC 4/9 Inf, HHC 1/9 Inf, 7th ID Fort Ord, CA 83-87
CSC 1/506th Inf, 2nd ID, Camp Greaves, ROK 87-88
Army Recruiter, 100 Oaks Mall, Nashville, TN 88-90
D Co. 3/327th Inf. 101st ABN, Fort Campbell, KY Desert Shield/Desert Storm 90-92
Various USAR & NG Units 1992-2004 AR, OH, PA
5thFSEMSG
Vet

Post by 5thFSEMSG » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:22 pm

I live 1/4 from the fire station that uses the exact same type of siren to call in the Volunteers that the Saudi used during SCUD attacks. I've actually grown climatized to it and it doesn't bother me too much any more. It'll sneak through occassionally, but mostly I can ignore it.