stopping at baghdad

Please visit this area and participate in various diffrent topics of discussion.
IRideSantaCruz
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: Please add your Unit

stopping at baghdad

Post by IRideSantaCruz » Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:30 am

im doing a report for school... i have my own views on this but i want to know the views of you guys who were in it. so.... do you think it was right to stop at the city, or crush them when we had the chance

-chris
RichardLowry
Author of Gulf War Chronicles
Your Gulf War Unit: Military Historian and Author

Post by RichardLowry » Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:16 am

hindsight is always better than forsight. At the time of Desert Storm our goal was to Liberate Kuwait and render Saddam's military machine incapable of hurting its neighbors. Having accomplished both of those goals, we stopped the fighting.

How would America have looked in the world press if we chased down fleeing Iraqi soldiers?
IRideSantaCruz
Recruit

Post by IRideSantaCruz » Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:04 pm

do you really think we rendered his army incabable of hurting his neighbors.... we left i believe 40% of the guard still left.
-chris
Hawk
Soldier

Post by Hawk » Wed Dec 03, 2003 11:13 am

Had we as you say "crush them when we had the chance" who would have then taken power in Iraq?
As RichardLowery, has already stated, " our goal was to Liberate Kuwait and render Saddam's military machine incapable of hurting its neighbors."
"How would America have looked in the world press if we chased down fleeing Iraqi soldiers?"

The co-alition was formed with a UN mandate to Liberate Kuwait, not to remove Saddam from power, although that would have been a nice bonus.
His Airforce had cut and run to Iran. We had already devistated his Army,
our objective was met, to go any further would have been veiwed as excessive. What would have happened to an already unstable area if we had as you say, "crush them". Would we have then created another Afganistan? It is always eaiser to look back and say that we should have, " crush them" and ignore the whole picture.

Hawk 8)
I am only one but I am one. I can not do everything but I can Do something And because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do What I can do I should do And what I should do by the grace of God I will do. Edward E. Hale
RichardLowry

Post by RichardLowry » Wed Dec 03, 2003 2:41 pm

SantaCruiz,

History has proven that we rendered his military incapable of hurting his neighbors. In 2002 Saddam moved an entire Republican Guard Division into Syria. It was his intent to attack Israel. The attack never materialized because the Iraqi Army was unable to sustain the logistics chain to support that division. The RG Division returned to Iraq.
IRideSantaCruz
Recruit

Post by IRideSantaCruz » Thu Dec 04, 2003 10:15 am

so you guys wouldnt agree with taking saddam out of power either? and if u dont what is ur views of what is going on now
-chris
RichardLowry

Post by RichardLowry » Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:43 pm

Please read my responses. I said that in 1991 our stated goal was to liberate Kuwait and de-fang Saddam. Since 1991 our efforts to keep Saddam from rebuilding his military and thus becoming a threat again have been slowly losing ground because our "friends" like France, Russia, and Germany" have repeatedly violated the restrictions that had been set in place. If we did not take action when we did, Saddam would have resurfaced as a threat to his neighbors and the world.

There is a large difference between then and now.
RichardLowry

Post by RichardLowry » Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:48 pm

Please study Neville Chamberlin"s apeasement of Hitler in the 30s. The world cannot afford to ignore tyrants who are hellbent on gaining power through death, torture, rape, destruction, and hate.
Tndeer1
Recruit

Post by Tndeer1 » Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:40 am

To all the ones who answered Cruz?
I agree and that is a subject that many do not understand. As you all have said, the objective was to remove Saddam and Liberate Kuwait. Nothing more, nothing less. My husband also served there and was attached to the 101st. Airborne out of Ky.
I've noticed that many use that word, We as in "Why didn't WE go after Saddam." Well "WE" were not over there, YOU were and I for one am very grateful to you for your service to our Country. So "Thank You guys."

God Bless!
Freda (Vietnam Era Veteran) :wink:

P.S.
Hi Scott, I'm back!
Saskia
Soldier

Post by Saskia » Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:51 am

Welcome back Freda! I sure missed you outhere!

Saskia
The history of man is the history of crimes, and history can repeat. So information is a defense. Through this we can build, we must build, a defense against repetition.
Simon Wiesenthal
Tndeer1
Recruit

Post by Tndeer1 » Fri Dec 12, 2003 4:38 am

Thanks Sas,
It's good to be back. I've missed you and everyone else too. Don't know how often I'll be here but I'll try. Has anyone heard from Scott? Wonder what he's been up to lately?
You take care of yourself!
God Bless!
Freda
Saskia
Soldier

Post by Saskia » Fri Dec 12, 2003 1:20 pm

Good to have you here again Freda!
I ( or we) haven't heard anything from Scott since november. Time for a search party? :)

Take care of yourself,
Saskia
The history of man is the history of crimes, and history can repeat. So information is a defense. Through this we can build, we must build, a defense against repetition.
Simon Wiesenthal
troutster
Vet

Post by troutster » Sun Dec 14, 2003 6:28 pm

Hi Everyone!
I'm around, just been working a lot and haven't had much time to hang around the boards. But I am still here. I graduated college this past May and am currently out there in the workforce.

Today of all days is a very good day for me to pop my head back in and say hello! Saddam has been captured, found hiding in a hole like a rat. Can't get much better then that.

Anyways, I'm back and look forward to helping get the boards very very active again!

Yours,
Scott