GWS-Gulf War Era (Non-Deployed) Vet Looking for Answers

Please visit this area and participate in various diffrent topics of discussion.
ceajaegirl
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: Please add your Unit

GWS-Gulf War Era (Non-Deployed) Vet Looking for Answers

Post by ceajaegirl » Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:02 pm

Hello all, I am new to the site, but certainly not new to the cluster of illnesses I'm dealing with. I would like to chat with other "Era" vets who are ill with similar symptoms to compare notes and info on the illnesses and the compensation problems associated with being Non-deployed.

Symptoms: During and since the military: Fatigue, Mood Swings, Malaise, Fevers, Joint pain, Trigger point pain, TMJ, Migraines or cluster headaches, Chronic Viral and Bacterial Infections, Tinnitus, Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue, IBS (Diahrea, Constipation, abdominal cramping and sharp pain) muscle spasms, etc....blah, blah. I was tested for mono while in the Navy because of the combined symptoms.

I was Navy 1987-1991, aboard ship 1989-1991. I had an easy job. We were warned that we might get sent to participate in all the fun, but ended up not going.

Got the following immunisations/vaccinations: Influenza, OPV, Meningococcal, Rubella, Typhoid, Adeno.

I never even knew what allergies were until after Boot Camp, got my very first case of Food Poisoning and a Sinus Infection at the same time during Boot camp so I got to watch all of the other chicks doing push-ups from my rack for a few days. I haven't been right since. I even lost 45% of my hearing after one sinus infection, only relieved by surgery 3 months later...no known cause.

I thank God I had my son right before I went into the military, cuz if i'm going to fall apart so easily, I surely don't want to pass this down to future generations.

Anyone else with a similar story? I went completely bedridden last year, i'm back up now, but I pay for it if I do too much with a hard-core reminder from my body that I'll never be right.

I don't suppose anyone with my complaints has ever gotten disability or a service connection? They were kind enough to give me 10% for the tinnitus.
music is the window to the soul....ceajae
ceajaegirl
Recruit

Post by ceajaegirl » Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:09 pm

Forgot to mention the rash on my back, buttocks and chest that won't go away no matter what dermatologists give me, that I have been dealing with for 10 years.

Help!!
Hawk
Soldier

Post by Hawk » Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:39 pm

ceajaegirl,
:cry: Your story sounds all too familiar, whether deployed to the gulf or not.
- a couple suggestions if you have not already done so contact your
localVA service officer
- Complete a VA form 1010ez to enroll to be seen in the VA hospitals if
you just enter 1010ez into your Internet search engine it will bring you to
the online application. This will show you which category you should
apply for.
- Request a Gulf War physical at the VA.
- Be prepared to wait and get no answers
- While you are waiting and being fed a line of BS go to http://www.gulfweb.org
and read as much as you can on gulf war syndrome.
- Don’t expect to get better or to get a straight answer from the VA, then
you won’t be disappointed.
- If you haven’t already done so look into joining the VFW, American
Legion, or DAV which ever interests you
They all have people to assist you.
- Never give up, someday, somehow, somebody will admit the truth
unfortunately we may all be dead by then. :cry:

welcome to the site :wink:

Hawk 8)
I am only one but I am one. I can not do everything but I can Do something And because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do What I can do I should do And what I should do by the grace of God I will do. Edward E. Hale
ceajaegirl
Recruit

Back to work....still have claim pending

Post by ceajaegirl » Thu Nov 13, 2003 6:33 pm

Thanks for the reply....I got busy on the Gulf war research and i've got more info on it than I care at this point. I had corresp with one Gulf war resource group who did a survey of my symptoms and sent me a 8 page break down of the tests that my PC should run on me. With a few exceptions, they have already run them on me. My PC isn't very proactive but I have another appt with him 11/20 to push again.

I'm a member of the DAV and they are my rep on my case. I also have a membership to the local American Legion Post and VFW post but these guys down here in florida are kinda in retired mode and I know more than them when it comes to this stuff so no real help but they gave me a American legion rose lapel pin just the same.

I hired a Rheumy this week to review my military and current med records and try to make an informed statement which states that the symptoms are the same. I have another Rheumy waiting in the wings for when my insurance comes on next month to do the same so that I can try to out weigh the C&P nurse practician that examined me the first go around. I've been seen by the VA hospitals at Bay Pines Fl, Tampa Fl, and Indianapolis, IN. i've had over 35 appts this year alone.

who exactly should I ask to get a gulf war exam? MY PC?

Anything else I can do?
Hawk
Soldier

Post by Hawk » Sun Nov 16, 2003 9:56 am

contact your local VA hospital, ask for the gulf war clinic, then request a physical, do'nt take no for an answer. good luck

keep pushing the DAV rep to help, and try to get the vfw, american legion to come out of retirement. maybe someone higher up out side of
your local post could help.
I am only one but I am one. I can not do everything but I can Do something And because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do What I can do I should do And what I should do by the grace of God I will do. Edward E. Hale