Tariq Aziz

Please visit this area and participate in various diffrent topics of discussion.
c0rporatekiddo
Recruit

Tariq Aziz

Post by c0rporatekiddo » Sat Oct 25, 2003 1:43 pm

I am researching Desrt Storm for a speech I am to make for my 10th grade class. I see on Chronology of the war, a man named Tariq Aziz is mentioned in the discussion to end the war. Can anyone tell me who this man is, and what country is he from? Thank you in advance. :)
Saskia
Soldier
Your Gulf War Unit: Please add your Unit

Post by Saskia » Sat Oct 25, 2003 9:09 pm

Tariq Aziz was since the ealy 1970s Saddam's conduit with the outside world and his main adviser on foreign policy. He became Deputy Prime Minister, had the overall charge of Iraq's foreign policy and answered only to Saddam personally. He is a Christian and did not belong to the Tikriti-clan (Saddam's).
Hope this will answer your question.

Saskia
The history of man is the history of crimes, and history can repeat. So information is a defense. Through this we can build, we must build, a defense against repetition.
Simon Wiesenthal
Hawk
Soldier

Post by Hawk » Sun Oct 26, 2003 8:58 am

c0rperatekiddo,

This should help,

Tariq Aziz
Iraqi Deputy Prime Minister Tariq Aziz is something of an anomaly among Iraqi officials, both because he is a Christian and because he is not related to Saddam's Tikriti clan.
Aziz was born in 1936 in the northern city of Mosul to a family of little means. He was originally named Michael Yuhanna but changed his name to Tariq Aziz, which means "glorious past", to be more acceptable to the Muslim majority.
Aziz studied English literature at the Baghdad College of Fine Arts, and launched a career as a journalist in 1985. He worked at several Iraqi newspapers, and was chief editor at two: al-Jamaheer and al-Thawra, the Ba'ath Party's newspaper. It was during this time that Aziz first met Saddam Hussein.
His support for the Ba'ath Party strong, he began to rise through the ranks of Iraqi politics after his party came to power in 1968. He served as a member of the Regional Command, the Ba'ath party's highest governing unit, from 1974 to 1977, and in 1977 became a member of Saddam's Revolutionary Command Council.
In 1979, Aziz was named Deputy Prime Minister of Iraq, where his primary role is to act as diplomat and explain Iraq's policies to the world. In 1980, shortly after assuming his new leadership role, he survived an assassination attempt, which was reportedly Iranian-backed.

When Iraq invaded Kuwait in 1990, Aziz served as the international spokesman in support of the military action, saying the move was justified because Kuwait's increased oil production was dampening Iraqi oil revenues. He has condemned Arab states for "subservience to the United States' hegemony in the Middle East and their support for punitive sanctions."
Aziz blamed the United States rather than the United Nations for the sanctions that followed the Gulf War, believing they were implemented as a result of U.S. government policies. He used these beliefs to back the expulsion of Americans working for the United Nations Special Commission (UNSCOM) in 1997.
-- By Jessica Moore, Online NewsHour

If you go to this link it will give you more info,
[/url]http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/middle_e ... ayer2.html

good luck on your speech, an interseting item to consider including in your speech is the fact many Veterans from the Gulf War are still suffering from what is called the Gulf War Syndrome and how our goverment is dragging its feet in helping them. It would help your class gain an understanding into wars hidden costs, and how our goverment is failing to support those it is obligated to particularly in light of recent militery actions in Afganistan, and Iraq.
I am only one but I am one. I can not do everything but I can Do something And because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do What I can do I should do And what I should do by the grace of God I will do. Edward E. Hale
c0rporatekiddo
Recruit

Post by c0rporatekiddo » Sun Oct 26, 2003 8:01 pm

thank you for taking your time to post =) also on providing the topic of the Gulf War Syndrome.. it fits very nicely into my speech.
Saskia
Soldier

Post by Saskia » Mon Oct 27, 2003 5:38 am

What kind of speech is it going to be?
I'm glad that the Gulfwar syndrome might fit in your speech because we need all the forms of raising the public's awareness we can get.
The history of man is the history of crimes, and history can repeat. So information is a defense. Through this we can build, we must build, a defense against repetition.
Simon Wiesenthal