Desert Storm Vet Seeking Help

Please visit this area and participate in various diffrent topics of discussion.
smpo32ben
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: Please add your Unit

Desert Storm Vet Seeking Help

Post by smpo32ben » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:55 am

I am in a fight with my local government, they are refusing to apply an exemption to my taxes even though I meet the guidelines for it. Would you please simply send a postcard to:

Town Manager
Board of Abatement
205 south st
Bennington, VT 05201
In support of my fellow Veteran S.M.P.

Tell them you support your veterans! I believe in the power of Veterans and our Military, and I am hoping with the power of the internet I can change this terrible situation. Please feel free to send this on to friends, family and loved ones I need all the help and support I can recieve. Feel free to contact the Senators and Reps for my state on both the state level and the federal level.

Please all I ask is a mailed postcard to show your support for a fellow veteran. Thank you.
Dispacther
Senior Vet
Your Gulf War Unit: HHC 43rd CSG / 1st Cav

Post by Dispacther » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:27 pm

I do support the veterans in our society , shake their hands and thank them for their service .
I also hate any form of government; city ,county ,state , or federal stomping on the rights of individual citizens . Ignoring the rules they made when following them it is inconvenient to them.

However , I will not blindly support anything .
Give us a little more information on your desired exemption so We can make an informed decision .
Please ! Thank You , and Thank You for Your service .
Ft McClealan AL 09/83-11/83,
Ft Gordon GA 11/83-02/84
Ft Stewart GA 02/84-06/86
Binge drinking college student 06/86-10/88
N.C.N.G. 07/86-10/88
Ft Carson CO 10/88-9/91
HQ AFNorth 10/91-11/93
smpo32ben
Recruit

Post by smpo32ben » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:31 am

Certainly! Vermont Law 32 V.S.A. § 3802 (11) provides a property tax exemption to Disabled Veterans with a rating grater than 50%. Each year the Disabled Veteran must go into their town office and provide paperwork from the Veterans Administration. If they do not recieve that paperwork, for any reason, they do not get the exemption. If the town says the paperwork was never recieved, again the Veteran is denied the exemption amount.

At this time 2 of my local reps are trying to lower the Disability requirement to 30%. However one of these same politicians refused my Abatement Request. I only asked for the amount of the Exemption be applied and any penalities or interest that had accrued from that amount.

I do have a Petition up now and am hoping I can change the law. http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/hel ... erans.html

I appreciate any assistance or advise you may offer.
smpo32ben
Recruit

Post by smpo32ben » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:33 am

Also wanted to add I currently have a 60% rating with the VA. I did not ask my town to abate an unreasonable amount--- ONLY the amount of the exemption the Voters of my county provided and any interest or penalty that accrued. The town states they did not recieve my paperwork, I am currently discussing the case with a local ACLU attorney who is very interested.
smpo32ben
Recruit

Post by smpo32ben » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:18 pm

Two months since I last posted have flown by. My fight is still on, the petition is still up. I do have a meeting later this month with a new state senator, so my hopes are high.
I can not tell you what it means to have this appointment. I know that this is no longer a fight about myself, but about every disabled Vermont Veteran and maybe all of our disabled veterans. Thanks each of you. Bless our Veterans and Troops on this Veterans Day. :D