To the Servicemen and women

Please visit this area and participate in various diffrent topics of discussion.
day2day
Recruit

To the Servicemen and women

Post by day2day » Fri Sep 12, 2003 3:23 pm

My heart goes out to all of you. What you have done and will continue to do for this country is honorable. You have nothing but my utmost respect. May you be watched over and protected as you have protected and watched over this country.
Saskia
Soldier
Your Gulf War Unit: Please add your Unit

Post by Saskia » Fri Sep 12, 2003 3:32 pm

Glad you joined us day2day and thanks

Saskia
The history of man is the history of crimes, and history can repeat. So information is a defense. Through this we can build, we must build, a defense against repetition.
Simon Wiesenthal
Hawk
Soldier

Post by Hawk » Sat Sep 13, 2003 1:29 am

:D day2day your welcome, but ask yourself what can you do to help the veterans who stood up when called, simple things like buying that buddy poppie the VFW sells go a long way, or a letter to your representive in congress expressing support for increasing the budget for VA hospitals, to end the sometimes six months or more Veterans have to wait to be seen.
But just understanding and thanking vets when you meet them is appreciated. And thank you. :wink:
I am only one but I am one. I can not do everything but I can Do something And because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do What I can do I should do And what I should do by the grace of God I will do. Edward E. Hale
day2day
Recruit

Post by day2day » Sat Sep 13, 2003 2:08 pm

I do as much as I can to support my vets, Hawk. I have bought numerous poppies over the years, have donated what money I could every chance I have had. A few years ago I had the opportunity to meet a veteran that fought in Vietnam. He had lost his leg while he was there. When I met him, he was sitting outside of a mall, surrounded by his few belongings. Even though I got many strange and horrified looks, I sat down beside him, and listened to his story. I offered him my help, but like any proud soldier he thanked me but refused. Instead, I went into the mall, bought him a meal. A woman in the line accused me of endangering my baby, who was with me, because I sat down to talk to this man. She continued on to tell me how worthless his kind is, how the city was being destroyed because of "people like him". I have recounted this man's story to my governement, and to many people outside of it also, as the problem is not just within that which the government provides, but in the outlooks of so many americans that have been protected by our veterans and yet still insist on turning their backs.
Hawk
Soldier

Post by Hawk » Sun Sep 14, 2003 11:53 pm

thank you day2day, if only there were more like yourself and less like the woman who accused you.
I am only one but I am one. I can not do everything but I can Do something And because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do What I can do I should do And what I should do by the grace of God I will do. Edward E. Hale
Saskia
Soldier

Post by Saskia » Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:55 am

It took courage to do that and I wish more people had the courage to do what you did.
Thank you
The history of man is the history of crimes, and history can repeat. So information is a defense. Through this we can build, we must build, a defense against repetition.
Simon Wiesenthal
day2day
Recruit

Post by day2day » Mon Sep 15, 2003 1:11 pm

You're welcome, but honestly there is no need to thank me. What I've done, what I still do, I do out of respect. It is the same respect that I would want. My thanks came a few years after I had the priviledge to talk to that man, at a time when I was viewed in the area I live as nothing but the lowest of forms...a waitress, and was treated with the same respect by a man that had served as a fighter pilot. He solidified my belief that by treating another person years ago with compassion was the right thing to do.
Hawk
Soldier

help needed

Post by Hawk » Wed Sep 17, 2003 12:30 am

Time to write some Congressional reps, people!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:x :x :x :cry: :cry: :x :x :x

Look at what they are up to now.
This from the VFW web site:

House Leadership Assaults Veterans Disability Compensation

Washington, D.C., Sept. 10, 2003--A reported House leadership proposal to dramatically restrict how veterans' disability compensation is provided in order to cover the cost of a plan to phase in concurrent receipt for disabled military retirees was strongly criticized by the Veterans of Foreign Wars of the U.S.

"It is a blatant attempt to unfairly pit one group of veterans against another by forcing one group to pay for another's disabilities," said VFW Commander-In-Chief Edward Banas of Voluntown, Ct.

At issue is a House leadership proposal to deny VA compensation for disabilities and illnesses incurred while on active duty unless the service member can demonstrate that it was the result of the "direct performance of duty."

Commander-In-Chief Banas emphasized that, "disabilities incurred as a result of military service are not always clearly due to the performance of duty. All too many of our brave men and women fighting the war on terrorism in Iraq and around the world, for example, would be denied compensation for disease or injuries suffered during 'off-duty' hours under this draconian standard.

"Those who serve this nation in uniform, both at home and abroad, are on constant call, subject to relentless stress and danger. To limit their compensation and access to priority VA health care only to disabilities that can be proven to be the direct result of an on the job injury callously ignores this reality.

The VFW has long stood in the forefront in the battle to correct the long-standing inequity in law that unjustly forces our nation's disabled military retirees to pay for their own disability compensation by having to sacrifice, dollar for dollar, their hard earned retirement pay. But to attempt to address this financial inequity by imposing a grave injustice on all of this nation's defenders--noncareerist and careerist, alike--is cynical and morally wrong.

"The VFW strongly believes that concurrent receipt legislation can and must be enacted without undermining the VA disability compensation process," Banas said. "And we are dismayed and angry that the House leadership would attempt to address this issue in such a way. As unjust as the concurrent receipt problem is, it cannot be corrected by punishing present and future sick and disabled veterans."
Saskia
Soldier

Post by Saskia » Wed Sep 17, 2003 7:02 am

I can't believe they are actually thinking about this while they want to spend several 100 million dollars to upgrade Rota (a military base in Cadiz, Spain)! What is going wrong here?
Simon Wiesenthal
Hawk
Soldier

Post by Hawk » Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:52 pm

The funds to upgrade have to come from somewhere :evil: after all once the fighting is over or sometimes even before the fighting is done the race to screw over the vets begins :x All we can do is write to our respective congress person and demand proper compensation. One little detail an election year is coming up maybe if enough of us start to make some noise they will throw us a bone to shut us up :D of course it will be imeediately rescined as soon as the election is over :evil: