Questions

Please visit this area and participate in various diffrent topics of discussion.
bryce46
Recruit

Questions

Post by bryce46 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:29 pm

Hey, forgive my possible ignorance in my next few questions, but this could help me decide whether or not to sign for military service when older.

As a kid as young as I am, I cant comprehend the taking of someone's life or the attempt at your own. Can someone perhaps explain the mentality, though process, or emotions when it comes to this?

Secondly, the media portrays only the death and violence involved with war, lets take the war in Iraq for example. Is it really this way.. constantly fearing your death and death all around, or is there niceties you dont see?

Lastly, what kind of mentality do you have during a fire fight. Me personally believe I could function ruthelessely in this situation.. but another part wonders if I would just shut down.

Little is known or tought of this war.. and I still have not understood it or what hapened, accept for the movie Jarhead... which is far of I believe? Perhaps students should learn less about natives and more of the country's contributions (good or bad) to the shaping of the world.

Please respond, as I really do wonder about these thing, and please forgive me not understanding.

Bryce
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 2nd Brigade 1st Infantry Division

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:20 pm

You cannot comprehend taking someones life ever but when your put into the situation and have the proper trianing then that training takes over and you do what needs to be done whether you comprehend it or not.

Disregard the media, they only show what gets everyones attention. The don't show the hundreds of acts of kindness shown by us on a daily basis, they don't show the Iraqis welcoming us into their homes and neighborhoods, they don't show the Iraqis showing us where the insurgents are hiding out or where the weapons caches are buried. I really think they should but thats not what gets everyone to sit up and watch.

For some ungodly reason, death and violence is what triggeres so many peoples attention, not acts of kindness in some other country.

Never having been in a firefight where I had to return any kind of fire or feared the next round I hear popping off might hit me, I can only image that as I said above, your training will kick in, training that has taught you how to act in those situations. Part of my basic training in the Army was lowcrawling across a field with explosives going off around me and live fire over my head. Its was pretty scary as well an kinda cool as hell at the same time.

As far as the movie Jarhead, FORGET EVERYTHING YOU SAW. That movie lacks so much reality of what really went on over there but then again its only from 1 Marine Snipers standpoint, not the thousands of other soldiers over there.
Last edited by Dagger X-Ray on Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
(12/91 - present) - miss the service
(9/90 - 12/91) 2nd Bde 1st Infantry Division - Desert Shield / Desert Storm Combat VET
(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET
(4/88 - 9/88) AIT Fort Gordon, Ga
(12/87 - 3/88) Basic Training Fort Jackson, SC
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell
"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton
Timberghozt
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: B Troop 1/1 CAV , 1ST AD

Post by Timberghozt » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:47 pm

Bryce,I hope you are never put in that situation..
There is nothing that will prepare you for the feeling of combat..Training as Dagger X Ray has said is the one thing you can rely on.
But in the end even it pales to the actual deal..
You ask will you freeze..Only you will know.I have seen it happen from the guy you least think would..and the guy you think would be a fierce sum bitch in a firefight.
For me,seeing and hearing my bros get messed up bothered me more than the killing.Yes the killing does too but in the middle of a fight you have no time to even remotely think.If you don`t pull that trigger faster than he does ..It`ll be you goin home in a box..
After its over,yeah you think about it.I still do 16 years later..The things you see and do in combat are a bill you will pay the rest of your life..
It is not easy.
If you want to be in the stuff..be infantry,a Scout or Tanker,
if you still want to be in but don`t think you can handle the engaging and willfully taking life, look at being a medic.
I have nothing but praise for medics.Some of the bravest men I know..
Anyways,I wish you well.
TG
B Troop1/1 CAV , 1ST AD
DS/DS 1990-1991
http://www.cavalryscouts.com
SCOUTS OUT!!!
Currently 11b in Haji`s backyard
Billy-Ky
Vet
Your Gulf War Unit: Please add your Unit

Post by Billy-Ky » Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:44 pm

Young man, movies are movies and nothing else.

Real life happens and if it happens to you then the inner you will take control. Whether it will be taking on the challenge or completely shutting down.

One never knows until one is in that situation. You can get different responses from everyone here but they are not YOU.
Political Place

Desert Storm Tour
89th MP Bde, 438th MP Company. 7 Feb 91 - 3 Sep 91
bryce46
Recruit

Post by bryce46 » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:18 am

Well thank you for your replies.. I think I have changed my iudea drastically.

Tonight.. I wanted a good time with friends.. I ended up getting jumped (me and my friend) by 3-4 guys. I could hear him in the background screaming as they beat him, but I couldn't do a thing.. I tried prying them off, but I was hit from behind and threatened for my life. I stood, racing in my head what to do... but in the end I couldn't do a thing. I had a knife.. I was thinking of using it.. but then what? Am I willing to go to jail or be shot because of my friend?

Later after the jump a group of us called some kids brother, cousin and friend, they came in a dark black van, slid the doors open, and went to finish it.

I don't know what happened in the end yet.. but for me.. the fight itself was easier to take then the sound of my friend screaming... and I couldn't do anything.

I believe it would be the same in war.. and I always thought I was tough stuff... hey 6 foot one, 165 pounds, knife.. im pretty protected.. in the end it meant nothing. My entire view on life.. has changed.. and I went home and looked at my emblems and stuff from when I was six... I just thought... what have we become..

I suppose this is just me realizing to a small degree, what ur shoes are like.. am I right in saying this?
sgt884
Recruit

Post by sgt884 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:58 pm

No one knows how they will react when put in harms way. As a young Marine who fought in Desert Storm, I can tell you everyone acts and reacts differently. I am no longer in the Corps but serve my county as a Sgt. for the Sheriff's Dept. And I face these problems everyday and

All I can say is training and mental preparation help. And always remember you dont fight for your country but for the men and woman to your left and right.

Semper Fi, Rob
Outlaw
Recruit

Post by Outlaw » Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:15 am

If you train correctly and enough more than likely you will fight like you train. The first time I was shot at in DS I reacted just like training. I said "we're taking fire" to the pilot I was with and the rest fell into place. We reacted as trained and returned fire.

I also served as Deputy Sheriff in a busy gang infested town in So.Cal. for 11 years and was involved in officer involved shootings, had people die while trying to give them first aid etc... The first shooting I was involved in I don't even remember pulling my weapon from the holster or firing it. I also had what they call auditory occlusion (sp) where you don't hear the weapon fire. Some people actually get a slow motion feeling in a similar event. In any case I reacted like trained and overcame the situation.

It all comes down to training. Train like you will fight and when you have to you will fight like you have trained.