Music During Gulf War

Please visit this area and participate in various diffrent topics of discussion.
bilbo37
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 3rd Battalion (ATC), 58th Aviation

Post by bilbo37 » Wed May 16, 2007 8:37 am

Welcome to the site...
Redmaxx
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.

Post by Redmaxx » Wed May 16, 2007 9:07 am

Yes, welcome.
B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.
SSR Platoon
Operation Desert Shield/Storm/Cease Fire 1990/1991
monkeydooo70
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: Please add your Unit

Post by monkeydooo70 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:33 am

THUNDERSTRUCK ROARING THROUGH THE SPEAKERS IN MY MAC TRUCK! I get chills every time I hear that song! :P I also think of two songs by Garth.....Friends in low places and the Dance.....Anyone ever get the chance to go on the BOOZE CRUISE out of Baharain???
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 2nd Brigade 1st Infantry Division

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:29 am

Welcome monkeydoo
Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
(12/91 - present) - miss the service
(9/90 - 12/91) 2nd Bde 1st Infantry Division - Desert Shield / Desert Storm Combat VET
(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET
(4/88 - 9/88) AIT Fort Gordon, Ga
(12/87 - 3/88) Basic Training Fort Jackson, SC
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell
"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton
monkeydooo70
Recruit

Post by monkeydooo70 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:01 am

Thanks Dagger! Love the board!

I lost touch with almost everyone I served with in the Storm. Last night I was able to get back in touch with one of my fellow truckers!!!

Hoping to find more people from 471st Trans Co.

You might have seen us over there? We were the ones driving the BIG MAC TRUCKS??? :twisted:
FT DIX, NJ Mar89-Jul89
Basic & AIT

FT SILL, OK Jul89-Mar92
6-32 FA
471st TRANS CO
Operations:
Desert Shield- Saudi Arabia
Desert Storm- Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Iraq
Desert Farewell- Saudi Arabia

Kollege Student Aug92-Aug95

FT HOOD, TX Nov95-Jul98

FT LEWIS, WA Jul98-Nov2000
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:07 am

As I said to Murf, look around Vetsearch.com and Military.com. I found a couiple people through there who had been keeping in touch with others which led me to them also.
Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
(9/90 - 12/91) 2nd Bde 1st Infantry Division - Desert Shield / Desert Storm Combat VET
(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell
- General George Patton
Cpt.Tamm
Senior Vet

Post by Cpt.Tamm » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:59 am

Hello monkeydoo!
Hell Yeah! Thunder Struck is good :P
So, you're driving with MAC?
monkeydooo70
Recruit

Driving Mac

Post by monkeydooo70 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:37 pm

Nope, wasn't with MAC, was driving the red and black civilian Mac trucks!!!
FT DIX, NJ Mar89-Jul89
Basic & AIT

FT SILL, OK Jul89-Mar92
6-32 FA
471st TRANS CO
Operations:
Desert Shield- Saudi Arabia
Desert Storm- Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Iraq
Desert Farewell- Saudi Arabia

Kollege Student Aug92-Aug95

FT HOOD, TX Nov95-Jul98

FT LEWIS, WA Jul98-Nov2000
jpieslak
Recruit

Music and Desert Storm

Post by jpieslak » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:32 am

Hi Everyone. I'm new to the forum and wanted to introduce myself. My name is Jon and I am a professor of music at the City College of New York. I'm currently writing a book on the relationship between music and American soldiers in Iraq, and I found this thread to be really interesting and relevant to what is going on now. Some of my areas of interest include the music that soldiers listened to as an inspiration for combat or before "rolling," which has already been discussed a little on the thread. Also, I didn't know if anyone knew of soldiers who were writing music during Desert Storm--acoustic guitar songs, rap, anything like that. I'd be really interested in hearing more about these things if anyone has information to share. You can contact me directly at: jpieslak@ccny.cuny.edu. For those who might be interested, my website is: http://www.americansoldiersonmusic.com which has interviews with Iraq war vets, and I recently published an article on the topic. Thanks. Jon
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:08 pm

I am not familiar with anyone writing music back at that time but then again we were always moving and nobody in my unit had time to think about anything else but what we were doing next.

Much of the music I listened to at the time was to get myself wound up...amped up so that I was ready for anything at that point. Being on an adrenilan rush felt good and having some ACDC or some Megadeth accompanying it was even better.

Just my $.02
Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
-George Orwell
- General George Patton
jpieslak
Recruit

Post by jpieslak » Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:17 pm

Thanks so much. It is amazing how similar your experience was to the guys who are there now. The hard rock/metal music seems to be the genre of choice for guys getting amped up to go out. Slayer is a big one. I've come to the conclusion that the new technology in audio consumption is a big factor in how guys interact with music. I think one of the other posted said something about wishing for an iPod, and the availability of mp3 players and laptops have really changed things in terms of how soldiers listen to music. Thanks again, this really helped. All the best, Jon.
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:04 pm

Sure thing, in fact the availability of technology in general has changed a lot of things since we were in Desert Storm. Laptops were few and far between and expensive too. Camcorders were big and bulky as well as the tapes. There is not a lot of Desert Storm videos fromt he soldiers perspectives like there is nowadays. Digicams and camcorders are small enough to fit in the palm of ones hand, burn video on memory cards and/or CDs. The media isn't as volitile as it was back in our days. A soldier can store a hundred discs easier than 10 VHS tapes. We also didn't have broadband access then either...a luxury some units have over there.

Keep stopping in and checking replies out here as others will surely stop in and add their stories too.
Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
-George Orwell
- General George Patton
Cpt.Tamm
Senior Vet

Post by Cpt.Tamm » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:34 pm

hello Jon! AC/DC and Metallica, anybody listened Status Quo? In the army now is still very good song :P ..but now 2003-2007 i think they listen Hatebreed, Rammstein maybe, Drowning Pool (Bodies..very good song) and many other....but Metallica is very very good..no words
jpieslak
Recruit

Post by jpieslak » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:50 am

Would anyone happen to know if soldiers in Vietnam similarly amped themselves up through music? I know that the technology was even more cumbersome then, but I haven't been able to find out very much about it. I know that radio was a big part of soldiers' lives, but if it operated in a similar way, I am unsure. The Vietnam Vets I've spoken with have said that it didn't really function the same, but I'd love to know more if anyone knows. Thanks.
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:54 pm

I know some units played music over horns as they went into battle. The music of the Vietnam era was also not as hard and agressive as it is these days. I am sure the adrenalin rush just isn't the same.
Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
-George Orwell
- General George Patton