sleep apnea

Please visit this area and participate in various diffrent topics of discussion.
Redmaxx
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.

Post by Redmaxx » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:52 am

Well today is the initial consultation. It is only supposed to be a 30 minute meeting. It will take longer to get there than it will for the meeting.
B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.
SSR Platoon
Operation Desert Shield/Storm/Cease Fire 1990/1991
Redmaxx
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Redmaxx » Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:02 pm

I go next wednesday for the sleep study and again the following wednesday for the treatment test.
B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.
SSR Platoon
bilbo37
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 3rd Battalion (ATC), 58th Aviation

Post by bilbo37 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:09 pm

Good Luck with it. :D
Redmaxx
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Redmaxx » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:11 am

Tonight is the night for the sleep study. I hope that everything goes well.....
B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.
SSR Platoon
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 2nd Brigade 1st Infantry Division

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:13 am

Redmaxx wrote:Tonight is the night for the sleep study. I hope that everything goes well.....

Sleep lousy !!!

I did and I now have a CPAP and sleep 10 times better!
Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
(12/91 - present) - miss the service
(9/90 - 12/91) 2nd Bde 1st Infantry Division - Desert Shield / Desert Storm Combat VET
(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET
(4/88 - 9/88) AIT Fort Gordon, Ga
(12/87 - 3/88) Basic Training Fort Jackson, SC
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell
"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton
Redmaxx
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Redmaxx » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:56 am

Dagger X-Ray wrote:
Redmaxx wrote:Tonight is the night for the sleep study. I hope that everything goes well.....

Sleep lousy !!!

I did and I now have a CPAP and sleep 10 times better!
I did. They said that they can't allow me to wait a week for the treatment session, so I have to go back tonight. I was told that if they don't do something right now I could have a stroke or a heart attack. I fell like I never slept at all last night.
B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.
SSR Platoon
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:13 am

I know what you mean. Take into consideration that you were in a strange place, a strange uncomfortable bed, and your significant other was not there beside you, of course you slept lousy.

Congrats on your new way of sleeping and be patient, it will take you at least a week or so to get used to any device/contraption they set you up with.
Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
(9/90 - 12/91) 2nd Bde 1st Infantry Division - Desert Shield / Desert Storm Combat VET
(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell
- General George Patton
Redmaxx
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Redmaxx » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:14 am

I have to figure out which mask I want to try. They have about 8 or 9 different ones. I guess that I also need to get an appointment at the VA.
B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.
SSR Platoon
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:18 am

I myself use a Comfort Classic mask which covers my nose completely and has headgear that goes around my head to hold it in place. I do not use a chin strap to help keep my mouth closed during sleep. This mask is much like you see on a lot of the hospital shows strapped to a patients face. There are others like ones that only insert into your nose and I understand they are more comfortable but I am so used to my mask that I just stay with it.

Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
-George Orwell
- General George Patton
Redmaxx
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Redmaxx » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:31 am

Thank you. I will look into the one that you have and also the one for just your nose.
B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.
SSR Platoon
Redmaxx
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Redmaxx » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:16 am

Dagger X-Ray wrote:I myself use a Comfort Classic mask which covers my nose completely and has headgear that goes around my head to hold it in place. I do not use a chin strap to help keep my mouth closed during sleep. This mask is much like you see on a lot of the hospital shows strapped to a patients face. There are others like ones that only insert into your nose and I understand they are more comfortable but I am so used to my mask that I just stay with it.

I used that mask last night and it wasn't too bad. Man does that CPAP machine make my mouth dry. They said that I had a couple of good deep sleep hours last night and I feel much better today, although I am still tired. I guess that it will take a little while to get back on track with my sleep. Thanks Dagger for all the suggestions.
B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.
SSR Platoon
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:13 am

For the first week or two I recommend laying in bed for an hour or so before trying to sleep and watch TV or something with the mask on and blowing. It will help you get used to it being there and should help keep you from waking up freaking out in the middle of the night from not being used to something strapped to your face.

There is way to add water to the system if they didn't give you that part. Its a canister and additional hose that, in my case, sits just off to the side of the CPAP machine and blows the air across the water therefore "hydrating" it and helping prevent the dry mouth/sinuses. Did they give you a humidifier? If so then that is what I am reffering to, maybe you could ask for one, tell them it is drying you out.

I use something close to this only mine is not heated. I have the tray, the 2 tanks (1 is a spare) and the hose, I do not have the heater that the right tank is sitting on. You have to use distilled water or the tanks will collect deposits that WILL eat a hole through the bottom of them.
Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
-George Orwell
- General George Patton
Redmaxx
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Redmaxx » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:54 am

I don't have the machine yet. I am waiting for the home equipment company to call when it is ready. The one that they had for me last night was a BiCAP with a humidifier. It still dried my mouth out something fierce. The tech said that it would the first couple of times that I used it.
B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.
SSR Platoon
Redmaxx
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Redmaxx » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:43 am

I am going to pick up my machine and mask today. :D I wish that I would have had it over th e weekend so that I could be used to it by now.
B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.
SSR Platoon
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:15 am

You will, don't worry. Now of course your other half will think she is sleeping next ti Darth Vader for your first week or so but she will get used to it too. Take care of it, I was told to wash the mask every single day and I edid for the first few weeks. Now I just take it into the shower with me every other day or so and give it a good rinsing with a good hot soapy soak & wash at least once a month.

Try to put the machine some place that is not very dusty either. The filters take no time to clog up with dust. My night stand has a bottom shelf so I placed mine there and fashioned a "curtain" around it notonly to hide it but to limit the dust's ability to get into that area too. Works great.
Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
-George Orwell
- General George Patton