sleep apnea

Please visit this area and participate in various diffrent topics of discussion.
AnsbachBarton
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: A Co, 141 Signal BN, 1st Armor Division

Post by AnsbachBarton » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:04 pm

Well, I haven't given blood in a long, long time anyhow because I have been told by the ARC that they don't want me! LoL

The reason being is that I have very tiny veins and it's bloody murder to find a vein and poke a humongous needle into it. I don't want them to do it anyhow!

If you want blood from me, get someone who knows what the hell they are doing and a butterfly needle. Then I will be glad to give blood!

As for the Sleep Apnea, I haven't had tests done, but had been notified that I may be suspected toward it. They say that my breathing is short and sometimes stop, then let out a burst of air. Who knows?

I don't think this could be Gulf-related, but who knows? The medical community sure don't know about GWS, eh?
A Co, 141 Signal BN, 1st Armor Division - Ansbach, Germany 1988-1991
Dispacther
Senior Vet
Your Gulf War Unit: HHC 43rd CSG / 1st Cav

Post by Dispacther » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:52 am

Yeah the blood parasites were Linth-so-say-my-athies or some such .
They can lay dormant for eughteen months or some such . So they
don't want you to donante for a couple of years after "possible" exposure .
The Wife says I stop breathing at night . I don't know I'm asleep ,
even if it I don't feel like it in the morning .
Ft McClealan AL 09/83-11/83,
Ft Gordon GA 11/83-02/84
Ft Stewart GA 02/84-06/86
Binge drinking college student 06/86-10/88
N.C.N.G. 07/86-10/88
Ft Carson CO 10/88-9/91
HQ AFNorth 10/91-11/93
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 2nd Brigade 1st Infantry Division

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:10 am

Dispatcher,

Next time to go to the VA, tell your Doctor that you want to be tested for Sleep Apnea. Insist on it.

I was tested and now sleep with a CPAP and my sleep is 500% better than it was for many years before. I no longer look like a zombie 24 hours a day wanting to close my eyes for just a second at every red-light or try to doze off on long drives either. I was bad for awhile there, I was getting wrote up for falling asleep at work.

I no longer snore either because the positive pressure keeps my sinuses open allowing my to breather properly.
Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
(12/91 - present) - miss the service
(9/90 - 12/91) 2nd Bde 1st Infantry Division - Desert Shield / Desert Storm Combat VET
(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET
(4/88 - 9/88) AIT Fort Gordon, Ga
(12/87 - 3/88) Basic Training Fort Jackson, SC
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell
"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton
Dispacther
Senior Vet
Your Gulf War Unit: HHC 43rd CSG / 1st Cav

Post by Dispacther » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:35 am

VA ? Aint been there since ......... 94 ? Maybe .
My Wife been telling me I should go , For a month or two now .
Maybe I'll look into it .
Ft McClealan AL 09/83-11/83,
Ft Gordon GA 11/83-02/84
Ft Stewart GA 02/84-06/86
Binge drinking college student 06/86-10/88
N.C.N.G. 07/86-10/88
Ft Carson CO 10/88-9/91
HQ AFNorth 10/91-11/93
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:08 pm

Do go. I have been going regualrly since 1997ish and have had no problems. Its only been the last few years that I have been having problems. The VA just reecently diagnosed me as depression and PTSD. Get into going on a semi annual basis if nothing else.
Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
(9/90 - 12/91) 2nd Bde 1st Infantry Division - Desert Shield / Desert Storm Combat VET
(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell
- General George Patton
Redmaxx
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.

Post by Redmaxx » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:09 pm

Will the VA pay for the CPAP machine? How do you get it to be service related? I have developed it since getting back from ODS. I have the same problem where I snore very loud and I stop breathing. There have been a couple of times where I have not been able to catch my breath and wake up and have to force myself to breath. It has happened when no one else was home. It scared me pretty good, but I didn't know what to do.
B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.
SSR Platoon
Operation Desert Shield/Storm/Cease Fire 1990/1991
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:38 pm

I was told by my VA doctor that the VA would cover my CPAP equipment and stuff if I submitted my civilian sleep study results. I am going to ask the VA for another sleep test through them too so I can file for disability eventually.

Go get a sleep study done whether its civvy or VA. I was ALWAYS tired. According to my wife, I would stop breathing for up to a minute in many cases and then snort bad as I was catching my breath and in many cases waking up. She says she never noticed my eyes wiggling around (meaning I wasn't in a deep sleep-REM). It took a week or so to get used to my CPAP but I finally did and now I depend on it fro a decent nights sleep. I also take Benadryl and Hodroxyzine to help me sleep (allergy meds that have a side affect of sleep). I do not recommend you take them if you are having trouble breathing while sleeping.
Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
-George Orwell
- General George Patton
Redmaxx
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Redmaxx » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:03 pm

I will talk to my civilian doctor about it. I will also find out if the VA can do anything. Our service officer at the VFW works for the VA. I have a 10% disability due to a hearing loss from being in the Army. Thanks for the information.
B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.
SSR Platoon
bilbo37
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 3rd Battalion (ATC), 58th Aviation

Post by bilbo37 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:55 pm

Service in Ds/Ds changes everything. I encourage anyone that served to get to the VA..

A lot of things are covered at different levels of disability..
Redmaxx
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Redmaxx » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:39 pm

Is there someplace online that we can find out what is covered? Also how do they test you for PTSD? I think that I registered on the Gulf War Registry. Is there a way that I can find out for sure. I remember going to the VA after I got back for some problems and I never heard back from them.
B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.
SSR Platoon
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:56 pm

You really have to meet with your VA doctor and tell him how you are or aren't functioning these days. Tell him about any nightmares you've been having, how your life has changed since DS.

I had just found out some more info about something bad that ahppened while I was over there and it messed me up for awhile. I told him all about it.

He asked me at that point if I was interested in talking with Mental Health and i said yes, went to them and had a talk and filled out some simple questionaires. Based on the info she compiled from the questionaires, the lady I saw determined I met certain criteria for being seen in a more in depth setting.
Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
-George Orwell
- General George Patton
Redmaxx
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Redmaxx » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:42 pm

Thank you. I guess that I am going to have to use a vacation day at work and go to the VA hospital. How do you make an appointment? When I had the hearing test done the VFW service officer set everything up for me. I guess that I need to talk to her.
B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.
SSR Platoon
devilmutt
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: Please add your Unit

Post by devilmutt » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:13 am

My wife was tested for sleep apnea at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester MN. She is tired all the time, stops breathing for close to a minute, and gasps for air.

When she went to the sleep clinic she did not sleep well. The study started at 9pm, she usually hits the rack at 2am or so. Was not comfortable sleeping in a unfamiliar place, wires glued to her, and she was videoed all night. All of this made for a poor nights sleep.

When we met with the Doc the next day he said everything was fine. He said she does not fit the classic mold of a person with apnea, she is 5 feet tall and 105 pounds. Now our insurance company will not pay for another study.

I wish I had the doctors phone number so I could call him and keep him awake listening to it every night. If she is asleep before me I Can't sleep, I just lay in bed waiting for her to take the next breath.

I guess the whole point of this is to make sure you get the best result you can from the test. Ask ahead of time what they will do if you don't get a good nights sleep, if that's even possible. My wife can sleep for 9 hours and still be tired.

You may or may not get better care from the VA, I don't know. I went to the VA for a physical once and have not been back.

Hope it works out for you, keep in mind that it can be a safety issue also. I worked with a guy who would fall asleep at work and while driving.
"The Army and the Navy are run like traditional military services. The Air Force is run like a corporation. But the Marine Corps is a religion." — Navy Admiral
bilbo37
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 3rd Battalion (ATC), 58th Aviation

Post by bilbo37 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:41 am

Better yet, why not get a recorder and record what happens at night? A video recorder would be better.. Then go back and show them to the doc and ask about the problem then..

At least then you would have something recorded to show anyone that asks about it.
Redmaxx
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Redmaxx » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:14 am

That is a good idea. I have been wanting to record myself sleeping just to see. I can't go deer hunting at my cousins anymore because I keep them up all night with loud snoring and gasping for air.
B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.
SSR Platoon