King Khalid Military Center

Please visit this area and participate in various diffrent topics of discussion.
Outlaw
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: Please add your Unit

Post by Outlaw » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:18 pm

Dagger X-Ray wrote:I remember at Khobar Towers there being gold shop trailers all over the place trying to sell Gold (if it was real or not, I don't know) to everyone.
We actually had to sneak out into town (82nd Airborne and 1st Cav for some reason were not allowed to leave the compound there) with BDU's without unit patches to buy some gold. I remember the crazy taxi driver we payed to drive us. I thought he was going to kill us after we had survived the war. :lol:
Quib
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: D Trp 1-1 CAV 1st AD

Post by Quib » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:59 am

I’m late to the game, but we stayed for a few weeks at KKMC while waiting to fly back to Germany. My whole Squadron stayed in GP Mediums out in the middle of BFE. Occasionally we drove to the 1AD tent city where they had entertainment, food ect.
US Army Germany 1985-1993
Desert Shield/Storm Vet: D Trp 1-1 CAV 1st AD
bar0871
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: B Troop 1/1 CAV , 1ST AD

Post by bar0871 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:45 pm

If my memory serves me i think we flew out of KKMC. i know we snagged a hummv and drove into KKMC once.
Rickey Nelson
Senior Vet
Your Gulf War Unit: 1087th Trans Co.

Post by Rickey Nelson » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:01 pm

went to kkmc to pick up a load once. got to eat at that wolf burger thing. ... the rest of the time I was running out of log base echo but not towards civilization. hell. we didn't even have floors in our tents...no heaters when it was cold either... we had a sister unit at kkmc hell they had a/c's in their tents...
DESERT SHIELD/STORM NOV 90-JUN 91

16th support group
4th Trans Batt.
1087 Trans Co.
Road Warrior
SSG Retired..... 1976-1997
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you.
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G.I.
"One died for your soul, the other for your freedom!"
Life Member VFW Post 9573
bilbo37
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 3rd Battalion (ATC), 58th Aviation

Post by bilbo37 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:05 pm

Rickey Nelson wrote:went to kkmc to pick up a load once. got to eat at that wolf burger thing. ... the rest of the time I was running out of log base echo but not towards civilization. hell. we didn't even have floors in our tents...no heaters when it was cold either... we had a sister unit at kkmc hell they had a/c's in their tents...
Had to have been an ATC unit...... :D
5thFSEMSG
Vet

Post by 5thFSEMSG » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:42 pm

We were the first up Army hospital for KKMC when we got there. There were hardly any units at all. We set up in a big open field across from a brand new fixed facility hospital. Did we get to fall in on that? Nope we had to operate out of tents and some National Guard unitl fell in on that hospital. They wouldn't even let us wash our hospital linens, not our personal effects just our hospital linens, in their laundry unit when ours went down. So much for one unit helping another, eh? We moved out to area walnut when the finally (2 months after arriving) became operational.
5th Mobile Army Surgical Hospital, 5th Forward Surgical Element, Fort Bragg NC, DS/DS Oct 90 to Apr 91

SFCKMGander
Recruit

Re: King Khalid Military Center

Post by SFCKMGander » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:14 pm

My Unit was located a few miles south of KKMC in an old abandoned rock quarry (looked to have been run by Koreans) from Dec 6, 1990 to Jan 17, 1991. We oversaw the build up of a huge corps field ASP there. We moved up to the 18th Airborne's Corps AO (north of Tapline Road, east of Rafha) the morning of Jan 17, 1991 to set up another ASP there (LOG Base Charlie?). We moved back south of KKMC to the rock quarry again on March 9, 1991 to start shipping back the huge amount of leftover ammo. We moved into Saudi barracks in KKMC in early July when space became available. It was a decent facility. It looked very new. I know the Iraqi's targeted some of thier Scuds on it a few times, but never came close to hitting it.
Last edited by SFCKMGander on Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rickey Nelson
Senior Vet
Your Gulf War Unit: 1087th Trans Co.

Post by Rickey Nelson » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:30 pm

SFCKMGander wrote:My Unit was located a few miles south of KKMC in an old abandoned rock quarry (looked to have been run by Koreans) from Dec 6, 1990 to Jan 17, 1991. We oversaw the build up of a huge corps field ASP there. We moved up to the 18th Airborne's Corps AO (north of Tapline Road, east of Rafha) the morning of Jan 17, 1991 to set up another ASP there. We moved back south of KKMC to the rock quarry again on March 9, 1991 to start shipping back the huge amount of leftover ammo. We moved into Saudi barracks in KKMC in early July when space became available. It was a decent facility. It looked very new. I know the Iraqi's targeted some of thier Scuds on it a few times, but never came close to hitting it.
I ran some ammo out of the asp at log base echo to the arty and mlrs units up on the berm. when the war started we went to LBN in Iraq.
DESERT SHIELD/STORM NOV 90-JUN 91

16th support group
4th Trans Batt.
1087 Trans Co.
Road Warrior
SSG Retired..... 1976-1997
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you.
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G.I.
"One died for your soul, the other for your freedom!"
Life Member VFW Post 9573
aggieal
Recruit

Post by aggieal » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:01 pm

I was a few clicks north of KKMC.....only things I remember are being on the phone when a chem alarm went off and noticing the city was blacked out at the start of the air war.
armygrl66
Recruit

Post by armygrl66 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:01 pm

I was in a Transportation unit next to the Morgue unit and the chow hall....go figure? I may have some pics. I remember going into the little market and getting fresh fruit and veges,,,,,,,,chow food sucked so we would buy stuff as we drove throughout the region and then make food for the peeps we hung out with.
Redmaxx
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.

Post by Redmaxx » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:23 am

We stayed there for about a month after the Storm waiting to go home. I wonder what it looks like today?
B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.
SSR Platoon
Operation Desert Shield/Storm/Cease Fire 1990/1991
pahunter
Soldier

Post by pahunter » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:36 pm

Aaahhh the fond memories of long ago. I think I've been to darn near every place that was listed. And just think some of you guys had it so good. AC's in your tents, AAFES (Army and Air Force Exchange Services), real food (if you can call chow hall food real, better than MREs for breakfast, lunch and dinner), shopping, sitting around making illegal beverages. I think I spent most nights sleeping under my truck. I used to make my morning coffee by half filling a can with sand and diesel fuel to heat my water. If I wanted a hot meal I used to stick my MREs in the muffler of my 5 ton.
I think I was in an AAFES one time while there, and I also remember that we got thrown off schedule because one of the worst sand storms hit. It seemed like it lasted forever. Like I said "the fond memories of long ago".
"Freedom is never free"
Remember those who served before us and Thank those who are serving now
David DeHoyos U.S. Army
(04/89 - 11/89) Ft. Sill Ok
(11/89 - 12/89) Ft. Benning Ga
(12/89 - 12/90) 263rd Maint. Co. 1st Maint. Battalion Boeblingen, Germany
(12/90 - 06/91) Desert Shield/Desert Storm
(06/91 - 12/91) Back to Germany
achevyfan
Recruit

Post by achevyfan » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:00 pm

To all, Even with all the hardships we had, and bs we put up with. I bet too a person we would do it again. I have just started to get a hold of all my old partners from germany and saudi, and would still do whatever for any of them.NORM

STRIKE EAGLE!!
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 2nd Brigade 1st Infantry Division

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:04 am

Yep !

I managed to find several of my old Germany friends after about 10 yrs of not looking, over the next few years that led me to a few others. I play email tag with them almost every day.

The downside is that 2 of the major players in the clique I ran with in Germany don't wish to make any effort to stay in contact after all these years. We included them in our individual emails and group emails and quite a long time but would either only get a 1 or 2 word response or nothing at all. Its a shame because I cared for them very much back then and still keep them in my thoughts to this day.
Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
(12/91 - present) - miss the service
(9/90 - 12/91) 2nd Bde 1st Infantry Division - Desert Shield / Desert Storm Combat VET
(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET
(4/88 - 9/88) AIT Fort Gordon, Ga
(12/87 - 3/88) Basic Training Fort Jackson, SC
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell
"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton
Sgt. Philip Howells
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: 333rd Trans

Post by Sgt. Philip Howells » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:39 pm

armygrl66 wrote:I was in a Transportation unit next to the Morgue unit and the chow hall....go figure? I may have some pics. I remember going into the little market and getting fresh fruit and veges,,,,,,,,chow food sucked so we would buy stuff as we drove throughout the region and then make food for the peeps we hung out with.

Would that be 333rd trans?