VFW needs you.

Please visit this area and participate in various diffrent topics of discussion.
Redmaxx
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.

Post by Redmaxx » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:02 pm

Only 5 more months and I get elected to be Commander of my VFW Post. I will be the first Operation Desert Storm veteran to serve as Commander. I am going to try my hardest to get some younger members to join and include them in the goings on at the Post.
B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.
SSR Platoon
Operation Desert Shield/Storm/Cease Fire 1990/1991
Rickey Nelson
Senior Vet
Your Gulf War Unit: 1087th Trans Co.

Post by Rickey Nelson » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:53 pm

Ridmax wrote:Only 5 more months and I get elected to be Commander of my VFW Post. I will be the first Operation Desert Storm veteran to serve as Commander. I am going to try my hardest to get some younger members to join and include them in the goings on at the Post.
Congratulations. Just hope the others members will stand behind you. they can help you succeed. Every post needs younger members now.. I haven't been to a meeting in 3 months now.. Work won't let me right now.....
DESERT SHIELD/STORM NOV 90-JUN 91

16th support group
4th Trans Batt.
1087 Trans Co.
Road Warrior
SSG Retired..... 1976-1997
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you.
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G.I.
"One died for your soul, the other for your freedom!"
Life Member VFW Post 9573
Redmaxx
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Redmaxx » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:47 pm

Tonight is our last VFW meeting of 2007. I hope that next year goes as well or better than this year. 8)
B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.
SSR Platoon
Redmaxx
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Redmaxx » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:13 am

So far since 1 July we have lost 18 members (most of them WWII). We have picked up two Vietnam vets and one Iraqi Freedom vet. It won't be long and my Post will have to merge with another Post to survive. :cry:
B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.
SSR Platoon
bilbo37
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 3rd Battalion (ATC), 58th Aviation

Post by bilbo37 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:27 am

Redmaxx wrote:So far since 1 July we have lost 18 members (most of them WWII). We have picked up two Vietnam vets and one Iraqi Freedom vet. It won't be long and my Post will have to merge with another Post to survive. :cry:
Sorry to hear that Red.. It seems to be happening a lot here in NY also...
Redmaxx
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Redmaxx » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:41 pm

I have a question for anyone who does not belong to the VFW, what would it take for you to join? And if you do belong to the VFW, what kind of changes would you like to see to make the VFW more friendlier?
B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.
SSR Platoon
doublecheese
Recruit

Post by doublecheese » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:21 pm

HI, AND MERY XMAS. That is a very good question. 14 or 15 years ago, it was hard to get in, they didnt seem to want gulf vets. my cusin finally got in, AFTER he bought a 20,000 HARLEY. no pun intended, but most of the post i see latley seem to be a biker club. I have a membership for about 4 years now, i went to one meeting with my cusin, they talked about bikes. oh well.
FA1SGret
Lifer
Your Gulf War Unit: 3rd Bn 17th Field Artillery

Post by FA1SGret » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:57 pm

I did join once for 1 year ... then let my membership lapse ... but
what would it take for you to join?
- The culture itself would have to change from a club mentality to that of 'seriously' taking care of veteran's issues and being a veteran's voice to our congressional leaders and communities.

- Change the exclusionary policies and unite forces with other veteran's groups (DAV, American Legion, VVA, etc.) to provide a single, solidified voice to our elected officials.

- Adjust the pomp and ceremony aspect so those of us who do not choose to take oaths, present arms, or follow a military wanna be organizational doctrine, can still contribute without feeling ridiculed.

- Get the VFW's national leadership out of politics and make a stand for veterans, be damned the politics.
Desert Shield/Desert Storm/Cease Fire
3rd Bn 17th Field Artillery
210th FA Bde
DS (OPCON) 3/2 ACR, GS 1 ID
FIRE MISSION!
doublecheese
Recruit

Post by doublecheese » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:16 pm

that was very well put..... i just had a hard time explaining it, but very well put.
bilbo37
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 3rd Battalion (ATC), 58th Aviation

Post by bilbo37 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:51 am

FA1SGret wrote:I did join once for 1 year ... then let my membership lapse ... but
what would it take for you to join?
- The culture itself would have to change from a club mentality to that of 'seriously' taking care of veteran's issues and being a veteran's voice to our congressional leaders and communities.

- Change the exclusionary policies and unite forces with other veteran's groups (DAV, American Legion, VVA, etc.) to provide a single, solidified voice to our elected officials.

- Adjust the pomp and ceremony aspect so those of us who do not choose to take oaths, present arms, or follow a military wanna be organizational doctrine, can still contribute without feeling ridiculed.

- Get the VFW's national leadership out of politics and make a stand for veterans, be damned the politics.

That was well said indeed.. If more of the posts would do that, then I would not hesitate to enroll at all...
doublecheese
Recruit

Post by doublecheese » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:59 am

Im glad to see im not alone on this, i was afraid i was just being paranoid about it. Im sure they have done many great things in the past, but actions speak louder than words. this organazation new about WALTER REED long before the media did, to have to here it from KATTI KURIC, was disapointing. I have only 1 dispute about my VA school benifits, i was denied benifits (long story) but anyway i decided long ago , i didnt need or want any thing from them...... for life. BUT, i do want my fellow soldiers taken care of! If there were a organazation i could believe in i would join. MY wife and i give every month when that envolope comes around from the DAV i dont know what else to do? Ido know i shouldnt have to. we live in the most richist country on the planet, we all saw how the wallets came open after 9/11. I dont understand why it has to be so hard, just give them whats owed to them! FROM a goverment that preaches self reliaence, the left and the right need to start paying their damm bills and quit acting like the soviet goverment in 1978.ANYWAY.... MARY XMAS, SORRY ABOUT THE BABBALING.
rodneyw71
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 354th TFW

Post by rodneyw71 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:04 pm

Get rid of the smoking, promote more family activities, I don't drink, so I don't like to be around a bunch of drunks telling war stories, have meetings on Saturdays, not during the week....some of us have to get up early in the morning....the list goes on and on.
Desert Storm, KFIA, Dec. '90- May '91
RAF Alconbury, UK. '90-'92
KI. Sawyer AFB, MI. '92
434th ARW/LRS, Grissom ARB, IN. 2007-Present
OIF 506th ELRS, Kirkuk, Iraq Sept. '09-Jan. '10
FA1SGret
Lifer
Your Gulf War Unit: 3rd Bn 17th Field Artillery

Post by FA1SGret » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:25 pm

The VFW and American Legion, and VVA for that matter, were chartered for a different generation of veterans with their values, culture, interest, etc. from a earlier time in our nation's young history.

I don't fault any of the organizations for enforcing the requirements of their charter, nor for enjoying themselves. I do, however, fault the organzitional leadership for presuming to speak for all veterans from all periods of conflict and I fault the organizational leadership for preventing a unified veteran front at the national level because of politics, powerplays, etc. at the organizational level.

The needs of today's veteran is much different than that of earlier veterans. Because of the shifting social, political, and economic dynamics, today's veteran is a more complex individual, with more complex issues, in a more complex society, with much more access to information than our predicessors, as well as very clouded, tainted, or skewed lines of dilineation.

Don't misread this, I am not better than any other veteran, just different than the WWII era, or even the Vietnam era veteran. I am very much interested in history, comradarie, and fun, but not at the expense of my representation on the national level, so I chose at this point not to be represented.
Desert Shield/Desert Storm/Cease Fire
3rd Bn 17th Field Artillery
210th FA Bde
DS (OPCON) 3/2 ACR, GS 1 ID
FIRE MISSION!
proudbrit
Recruit

Re: VFW needs you.

Post by proudbrit » Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:13 pm

I joined the VFW as soon as I returned from Saudi, it has been the best thing I could have done. Our Post does so much for the community and yes they also have a very active canteen. (bar)
It costs a lot to run a bar but the more they make the more can be handed over to the Post for other worthwhile things. When I joined I was the youngest and fought with the old WW11 guy's, They are about all gone now and we have Vietnam and gulf war vets. We are now trying to get the younger Iraqi vets in as this is what the VFW is all about. I have been through all the chairs and Post Commander, I am now the Post Quartermaster since I became ill with a muscle disease that is not curable. I have my first visit with the VA tomorrow, I applied for this back in Feb 2007
SaucyWench
Lifer
Your Gulf War Unit: "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!"

Re: VFW needs you.

Post by SaucyWench » Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:16 pm

Welcome, Brit. :D