VFW needs you.

Please visit this area and participate in various diffrent topics of discussion.
FA1SGret
Lifer
Your Gulf War Unit: 3rd Bn 17th Field Artillery

Post by FA1SGret » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:24 am

I've tried the VFW, Foreign Legion, and DAV. Their organizational structure closely resembles a military chain of command and are bent of pomp and ceremony and some community involvement.

I can't get past the ceremonial rituals ... never believed in 'em and don't like to be a part of 'em ... maybe because I think they are hollow ... at least for me.

Ain't knocking it, just can't seem to fit.

I would like to see ALL the veterans join forces, collaborate on some issues, and then present them to Washington ... but then the internal mental debate starts kickin' in and I do nothing ... as usual.

Sometimes I find it hard to believe that I once wore first sergeant stripes.
Desert Shield/Desert Storm/Cease Fire
3rd Bn 17th Field Artillery
210th FA Bde
DS (OPCON) 3/2 ACR, GS 1 ID
FIRE MISSION!
SaucyWench
Lifer
Your Gulf War Unit: "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!"

Post by SaucyWench » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:49 am

Redmaxx wrote:Here is the link to what it looks like. It is curved.

http://www.vfwstore.org/detail.aspx?ID=25527

Yeah, Red... that's the site I ordered from, so that's what I saw. It's the same style as the army cc though.
Redmaxx
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.

Post by Redmaxx » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:43 am

I don't remember the cc being curved, but again I never wore a womans cc because I am not a woman. We have two women in our Post, one is a Desert Storm vet (she is also Department Service Office) but she never shows up to meetings and the other one is on active duty and I have never met her. The one who is the Department Service Officer wears her cap when she comes to meetings and I think that she should have ordered a mans cap, it just looks better in my opinion.
B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.
SSR Platoon
Operation Desert Shield/Storm/Cease Fire 1990/1991
SaucyWench
Lifer
Your Gulf War Unit: "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!"

Post by SaucyWench » Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:46 pm

Day-um!!! Talk about overnight service! They said it usually takes 5 weeks, but I told them what I needed it for, and they overnighted it in one day! :D It's the same exact style as the army one, and fits the same. Maybe the male woud look better, but ennh... it looks fine to me. It's a weird olive/ chocolate/ almost black looking colour, though. :? For some reason, I always thought it was navy blue.
Redmaxx
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Redmaxx » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:54 am

No, the VFW is based on the US Army. If you read the charter and by-laws it spells it out there. Some Posts are named after people from other branches and my say aye-aye and what not but everything is based on the US Army.
B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.
SSR Platoon
doublecheese
Recruit

Post by doublecheese » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:56 pm

i thought i was the only one that felt that way. I joined the V F W ,,, i just felt like an outsider. people were nice, but i left the army a long time ago. it,s ok. iv decided to let the past go. that was yesterday and im sure i wont be the last to serve his country
5thFSEMSG
Vet
Your Gulf War Unit: Please add your Unit

Post by 5thFSEMSG » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:18 am

doublecheese wrote:i thought i was the only one that felt that way. I joined the V F W ,,, i just felt like an outsider. people were nice, but i left the army a long time ago. it,s ok. iv decided to let the past go. that was yesterday and im sure i wont be the last to serve his country
I was a Soldier, I am a Soldier, I will always be a Soldier. Took the Army a long time to adopt that philosophy, too long. That is one thing the Marines did better than us, once a Marine always a Marine.

Something changes in you when you become Soldier, even more when you experience combat, and you never go back to the way you were. I still have difficulty relating to Civilians and I've been retired for 11 years.
5th Mobile Army Surgical Hospital, 5th Forward Surgical Element, Fort Bragg NC, DS/DS Oct 90 to Apr 91

Redmaxx
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Redmaxx » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:40 pm

So far since July 1, 2007 we have lost 14 members. Most of them are WWII with one being Vietnam and one was Korean.
B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.
SSR Platoon
saudivet5
Recruit

VFW

Post by saudivet5 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:56 am

I'd like to join here in N.C.. I need someone to help file a SC claim for PTSD. They just evaluated me at the VA hospital in Durham. I'm already at 50% .They told me I had PTSD and that it was extream.I see a therapist once a week for one on one counceling. I went to my first one yesterday it was rough, Cognitive Behavioural therapy is what she said we were doing. I really dont like it much. Its making me look at things that I had rather not anymore, but she said it would help. Anyway Thanks All.
"Upon closing eyes, I see demons instead of angels"
5thFSEMSG
Vet

Re: VFW

Post by 5thFSEMSG » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:08 am

saudivet5 wrote:I'd like to join here in N.C.. I need someone to help file a SC claim for PTSD. They just evaluated me at the VA hospital in Durham. I'm already at 50% .They told me I had PTSD and that it was extream.I see a therapist once a week for one on one counceling. I went to my first one yesterday it was rough, Cognitive Behavioural therapy is what she said we were doing. I really dont like it much. Its making me look at things that I had rather not anymore, but she said it would help. Anyway Thanks All.
Try the DAV rather than the VFW. The DAV exists solely to help us get out benefits. They will help with your case for free, but they work better and harder if you pay your blood money. You can spread out the life membership over 10 months to ease the burden. It is well worth it. Speaking from experience.

You might have better results with your therapy if you go to the Vet Center. It is still part of the VA but the counselors are all combat vets as opposed to kids right out of school. You might find it easier to relate to someone who have been down the path you are traveling.
5th Mobile Army Surgical Hospital, 5th Forward Surgical Element, Fort Bragg NC, DS/DS Oct 90 to Apr 91

Redmaxx
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Redmaxx » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:46 am

Sounds to me like the DAV isn't out to help you get benefits if you have to pay "blood money." Go with whomever you like, VFW, DAV, American Legion, etc. I have had the VFW help me on my hearing loss claim and I am now SC for it. I have never had a problem with them. Look around and pick whomever you feel is right for you.
B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.
SSR Platoon
5thFSEMSG
Vet

Post by 5thFSEMSG » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:53 pm

Don't be fooled, ALL of them want the "Blood Money". They are mandated to work for free, but they work for you harder and better if you are a paid member. The VFW, American Legion, DAV, they all operate under the same premises. One really isn't much better than the other, it is a matter of preference when it all washes out.

FA1SGret
Lifer
Your Gulf War Unit: 3rd Bn 17th Field Artillery

Post by FA1SGret » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:16 pm

One thing to remember ... when you do choose an organization to assist, it should be for the long term ... IF you aren't satisfied with the services of an organization and think about changing organizations, everything that is pending stops (because the old organization is no longer a legal representative) and the new organization has to start over ... so I'm told.

Bottom line ... don't do it by yourself, it is very hard to undo mistakes ... I learned this from personal experience.
Desert Shield/Desert Storm/Cease Fire
3rd Bn 17th Field Artillery
210th FA Bde
DS (OPCON) 3/2 ACR, GS 1 ID
FIRE MISSION!
saudivet5
Recruit

Organizations

Post by saudivet5 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:15 am

First I want to take a min. and tell everyone here that has responded to me as well as the thers that respond to others also the one that just cometo yhis site to browse, that I have never had this typy of Brotherhood. This site and its creators have done an outstanding job and I plug this site to not only D.S. vets but all vets i see. Thetre are a lot of vet sites out there but there is something special about this on. Although im a new member"recruit". I feel such a release of stress and like my heart has been given a new way to look at my own issues. Its been 16 years since I came home. Everyday I have thought I was slowly going crazy,there have been times that it would have just been easier to just stop it all by my own hand. I would not now or ever do that but the thought of it has ran across my mind over the last 16 years . My wife (2nd) didn't under stand me she thought I was just an asshole, and has almost left me on several occasions. Mainly over trust issues, not nessesarily infidelity trust but me not trusting anyone,"always suspious" of everyone,thats just to name one or two issues. Im not trying to tell all my issues here. I'm just saying that for once in 16 years finally someone understands, they believe me. I never knew what PTSD was untill a couple of months ago. My shrink sent me to be evaluated and they diagnosed me with it. Im still learning about stuff but now theres a picture for the face. When I came back home they screwed up my orders and sent me home a little earlier than my unit. Well the order sheet sent me to my home address so thats where I went, I was shelled and I didn't understant that I needed to go to my base, FT Bragg. I was so shelled That I was afraid too for some reason, I just felt isolated. Well they sent the MP'S after me and tried me for desertion but found it was their mistake and I followed the orders, they discharged me Honorably ,and I went home But they never gave me anyreadjustment counciling and I never thought I had any PTSD. I didn't realize it cause I thought I was just normal and going crazy. But I am not and now its been so long that I have lived this way they said it was chronic, They said my GAF Score ? Whatever that is was a 47 and sugested I file a claim, I am already at 50% so I dont know what they might do. Im looking for a service officer now to see what they think. any way Tank you all for this site and your friendships and word of caring and advice. I plan to always be a member here if I am welcomed to be. So thank You.
"Upon closing eyes, I see demons instead of angels"
5thFSEMSG
Vet

Post by 5thFSEMSG » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:50 am

GAF is Global Assement Functioning score. It determines how well you can blend into "normal" society. The higher your GAF score, the better you function in society. Your score places you in the "Dysfunctional" catagory, you can carry on normal conversations but work best in a sheltered environment. Here is a link to the GAF scoring system.

http://www.desertpacific.mirecc.va.gov/ ... e-6-07.pdf

and here is a link to the PTSD homepage which is chock full of useful information, no seriously.

http://www.ncptsd.va.gov/ncmain/index.jsp

Your PTSD can raise the amount of disability you are receiving. You should visit the nearest VET Center and see about getting into counseling, it helped me alot. My GAF is 41. PTSD does not go away, it does not get better, but we can learn how to control it and deal with it.

Your best weapon against PTSD is knowledge. I have several very good books on the subject. Some for you, some for your wife and kids. If you would like the Titles and stuff let me know and I'll post them.