VFW needs you.

Please visit this area and participate in various diffrent topics of discussion.
Redmaxx
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.

Post by Redmaxx » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:00 am

There is nothing written that says you have to be an active member. You don't even have to be a member of a Post that is near your house (maybe they have one at the local military installation). Right now is a rough time in the VFW as the WWII and Korean vets are very old and dying off. In a couple of years the oldest vets will be the Vietnam vets and they seem to listen more and are willing to do more than the older vets. Don't turn your back on these vets, you might miss out on knowing someone who will be a great influence in your life. I wouldn't change my VFW experience for anything. I will miss those who I have known at the VFW who have passed away.
B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.
SSR Platoon
Operation Desert Shield/Storm/Cease Fire 1990/1991
rodneyw71
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 354th TFW

Post by rodneyw71 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:50 pm

That's why I kept my membership, because hopefully they'll get some new people in there, and also when my kids are gone and I don't need a crappy job like I have, I would like to be the service officer, I believe he makes almost 30K a year, we'll see.
Desert Storm, KFIA, Dec. '90- May '91
RAF Alconbury, UK. '90-'92
KI. Sawyer AFB, MI. '92
434th ARW/LRS, Grissom ARB, IN. 2007-Present
OIF 506th ELRS, Kirkuk, Iraq Sept. '09-Jan. '10
wmebert
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: Dco 3/327th Inf 101st Airborne Division

Post by wmebert » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:54 am

I joined the local VFW in Alliance, OH back in 94 at the prompting of a DS Vet I worked with. It was a nice new Post but I didn't live in the town so I never stepped foot in the place . I moved to the small town of Carrollton, OH a few months later & decided I would look into joining their VFW Post. I went to the place one afternoon & was treated like I broke in. I explained that I was a member of another post & since this post was in the town where I lived I wanted to join/transfer/whatever to their post. They were not the least bit interested. I left feeling like I offended someone & haven't been a member since.

I live in Hellertown, PA now and have been thinking about joining the local Post. I think they use the American Legion for meetings since they don't have their own building. I'll have to see how that works out.
CSC 1/87 Inf, 8th ID, Baumholder, GE 81-83
CSC 4/9 Inf, HHC 1/9 Inf, 7th ID Fort Ord, CA 83-87
CSC 1/506th Inf, 2nd ID, Camp Greaves, ROK 87-88
Army Recruiter, 100 Oaks Mall, Nashville, TN 88-90
D Co. 3/327th Inf. 101st ABN, Fort Campbell, KY Desert Shield/Desert Storm 90-92
Various USAR & NG Units 1992-2004 AR, OH, PA
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 2nd Brigade 1st Infantry Division

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:09 pm

I woder if people like you all who are treated that way start filing complaints with the main VFW that maybe something might work its way down the chain reminding them old farts that they will be gone soon and the posts they have worked to build will be dying off soon due to no members.
Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
(12/91 - present) - miss the service
(9/90 - 12/91) 2nd Bde 1st Infantry Division - Desert Shield / Desert Storm Combat VET
(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET
(4/88 - 9/88) AIT Fort Gordon, Ga
(12/87 - 3/88) Basic Training Fort Jackson, SC
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell
"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton
Rickey Nelson
Senior Vet
Your Gulf War Unit: 1087th Trans Co.

Post by Rickey Nelson » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:52 pm

a vet is a vet no matter what war they were in.... When I stepped off the plane from Saudi the first people to shake our hands was other vets. They said they did not want us to go through what they went through comming home. so i can't understand why some post would act like a bunch of assholes twards another vet no matter what war he or she was in.
DESERT SHIELD/STORM NOV 90-JUN 91

16th support group
4th Trans Batt.
1087 Trans Co.
Road Warrior
SSG Retired..... 1976-1997
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you.
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G.I.
"One died for your soul, the other for your freedom!"
Life Member VFW Post 9573
Redmaxx
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Redmaxx » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:11 am

Because some of the WWII vets don't think that we were in a war. To them, the last "war" was WWII. There were a couple of "editorials" about it in the VFW magazine in 1992 when I first joined.
B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.
SSR Platoon
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:30 am

Redmaxx wrote:Because some of the WWII vets don't think that we were in a war. To them, the last "war" was WWII. There were a couple of "editorials" about it in the VFW magazine in 1992 when I first joined.
Sure, we didn't fight in a "war" where thousands if not millions of souls were lost. Sure our war didn't last for years. We did however pick up weapons and fight for the rights of others just as they did back then.

I wonder how they feel about the OIF/OEF guys who have been fighting in a war that has lasted years and where hundreds...I mean thousands have lost their lives.

A Vet is a Vet regardless.
Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
(9/90 - 12/91) 2nd Bde 1st Infantry Division - Desert Shield / Desert Storm Combat VET
(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell
- General George Patton
5thFSEMSG
Vet
Your Gulf War Unit: Please add your Unit

Post by 5thFSEMSG » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:35 am

Well it's hard for them to be humble after all they are the "Greatest Generation" and nobody else has ever fought in a war compaired to them. :roll: Just ask them, they'll tell you so. Shoot they'll tell you so without you having to ask them. Another reason I stopped going to the meetings. We're not all Combat Vets, there's WWII vets and "everybody else". You could argue against that line of reasoning, but that gets tiring after a while.
5th Mobile Army Surgical Hospital, 5th Forward Surgical Element, Fort Bragg NC, DS/DS Oct 90 to Apr 91

Redmaxx
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Redmaxx » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:00 am

5thFSEMSG wrote:Well it's hard for them to be humble after all they are the "Greatest Generation" and nobody else has ever fought in a war compaired to them. :roll: Just ask them, they'll tell you so. Shoot they'll tell you so without you having to ask them. Another reason I stopped going to the meetings. We're not all Combat Vets, there's WWII vets and "everybody else". You could argue against that line of reasoning, but that gets tiring after a while.
You are correct.
B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.
SSR Platoon
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:10 am

I have been thinking of jining a local one, one that does thinkgs outside the bar part. They host parties, they participate in the Poker Runs for charities and benefits. I think they even run a trailer/float-like thing in our local Xmas day parade in the li'l community I live in.
Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
-George Orwell
- General George Patton
Redmaxx
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Redmaxx » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:54 am

Please do look into it. I wouldn't change my experience for anything. I will be Commander of my Post next year (first Desert Shield/Storm Commander) and I know all about the problems with being a "younger" member of a "WWII" Post. Once you get in and see who is willing to support you the sky is pretty much the limit. There are many mentors that I have (and a few that I want nothing to do with) at the Post and they seem to think that I am ready to be Commander. I can't wait. I think that it will be a fun year and I am going to try to get everyone back into volunteering for both the Post and for veterans. If you have any questions please let me know (PM, e-mail, etc) and I will help all I can.
B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.
SSR Platoon
SaucyWench
Lifer
Your Gulf War Unit: "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!"

Post by SaucyWench » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:32 pm

Okay, VFW peoples, what is a Fort Knox style hat? It wasn't an option on the female caps, but it's an option on the male ones.
Redmaxx
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Redmaxx » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:41 am

It is more of a boxier style hay. I don't know of anyone who has ever bought one. I think that the womens hat is horrible, I don't know why they don't make them like the Army has.
B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.
SSR Platoon
SaucyWench
Lifer
Your Gulf War Unit: "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!"

Post by SaucyWench » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:47 am

8O

I thought the hats were all the same as the army garrison caps? I tried on my grandpa's American Legion hat, and that male style 7 1/8 fit well, but I had ordered the female style. I was so tempted to call back and change the order to the male style hat.... now you're telling me the women's is ugly. :cry: (sigh) It just confirms my suspicions. I think I wore my army cc all of like, once. Maybe twice. :?
Redmaxx
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Redmaxx » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:59 am

Here is the link to what it looks like. It is curved.

http://www.vfwstore.org/detail.aspx?ID=25527
B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.
SSR Platoon