VFW needs you.

Please visit this area and participate in various diffrent topics of discussion.
rodneyw71
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 354th TFW

Post by rodneyw71 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:30 pm

I quit the VFW last week, some guys who never attend meetings came in and made the Commander resign his post. It's a long story, basically the Commander followed the rules to a T, the others didn't like that, so basically they undid who we ( the guys who attended the meetings regulary) voted into office. I liked the Commander alot, he is a Vietnam Vet, I got along with him great. I got up from the meeting, threw my hat on the table, and said, you guys can have this crap. I really don't know what I was trying to get out of it, I don't drink or smoke, and that is what this post is based on, I have alot on my plate now, and didn't need to have to deal with this BS.
Desert Storm, KFIA, Dec. '90- May '91
RAF Alconbury, UK. '90-'92
KI. Sawyer AFB, MI. '92
434th ARW/LRS, Grissom ARB, IN. 2007-Present
OIF 506th ELRS, Kirkuk, Iraq Sept. '09-Jan. '10
Rickey Nelson
Senior Vet
Your Gulf War Unit: 1087th Trans Co.

Post by Rickey Nelson » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:40 pm

rodneyw71 wrote:I quit the VFW last week, some guys who never attend meetings came in and made the Commander resign his post. It's a long story, basically the Commander followed the rules to a T, the others didn't like that, so basically they undid who we ( the guys who attended the meetings regularly) voted into office. I liked the Commander at, he is a Vietnam Vet, I got along with him great. I got up from the meeting, threw my hat on the table, and said, you guys can have this crap. I really don't know what I was trying to get out of it, I don't drink or smoke, and that is what this post is based on, I have a lot on my plate now, and didn't need to have to deal with this BS.
man hate to hear that. If that happens at my post I would do the same. My post ain't based on drinking and smoking. We don't even serve beer unless you bring your own at special get togethers. I guess that keeps us down to earth..we have people passing through that stop in for a drink and you should see the look on their face when we tell them we don't have alcohol. But don't think all posts are like that...cause mine ain't...
DESERT SHIELD/STORM NOV 90-JUN 91

16th support group
4th Trans Batt.
1087 Trans Co.
Road Warrior
SSG Retired..... 1976-1997
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you.
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G.I.
"One died for your soul, the other for your freedom!"
Life Member VFW Post 9573
rodneyw71
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by rodneyw71 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:48 am

You know how the drunks get at the bar, they were all probably drunk talking about how they would run the post, finally their asses came to a meeting, and cleaned house. I think it's funny, they complain about not having enough "Young blood", most veterans my age do things with their family, I don't want my kids around those kind of people.
KI. Sawyer AFB, MI. '92
Rickey Nelson
Senior Vet

Post by Rickey Nelson » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:01 pm

rodneyw71 wrote:You know how the drunks get at the bar, they were all probably drunk talking about how they would run the post, finally their asses came to a meeting, and cleaned house. I think it's funny, they complain about not having enough "Young blood", most veterans my age do things with their family, I don't want my kids around those kind of people.
I wouldn't want my kid's around them either.. they sould be setting an example for young people.

16th support group
4th Trans Batt.
1087 Trans Co.
Road Warrior
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G.I.
Redmaxx
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.

Post by Redmaxx » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:57 am

Sorry to hear that Rodney. I would be mad as well. Maybe you just need some time away from there or maybe you just need to find another Post. I am lucky that my Post isn't really that bad. I deal with the BS and I try to let it go in one ear and out the other.
B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.
SSR Platoon
Operation Desert Shield/Storm/Cease Fire 1990/1991
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 2nd Brigade 1st Infantry Division

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:40 am

My only experiences with my local VFW was catering a Poker Run that had that place as a pit stop for food & drink along the way. I stepped inside for a minute and noticed the bar itself was rather "very small" but it sure was loaded with drunks. I don't drink much so haven't found a need to go join one of those clubs yet.
I was made an honorary member of the Moose and Eagles via my parents after returning from Desert Storm but I only went with my parents when some event was going on and to take my mom for Wed. night dinners after my dad passed away. Those were their friends and I didn't want her to stop seeing them because she knew them through my dad and she would not go to a bar alone.
Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
(12/91 - present) - miss the service
(9/90 - 12/91) 2nd Bde 1st Infantry Division - Desert Shield / Desert Storm Combat VET
(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET
(4/88 - 9/88) AIT Fort Gordon, Ga
(12/87 - 3/88) Basic Training Fort Jackson, SC
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell
"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton
5thFSEMSG
Vet
Your Gulf War Unit: Please add your Unit

Post by 5thFSEMSG » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:27 pm

I have a VFW post about 1/4 mile from my house. I joined it a few years ago, but it was all about WWII Vets, smoking, drinking, and having a meal. They did some community stuff but none of it pertained to Veterans. I let my membership expire after the first year. They never really accepted anyone from Vietnam or the Gulf War, it was like they just had their little social group of Vets in their 70s and 80s.

I have a lifetime membership in the DAV, but I don't attend the meetings. I got that so that I would have VSO to represent me at disability hearings. Shoot I live about 25 miles from Ft. Bragg and get my medical care at the unit I retired out of, Womack Army Medical Center. If I need to touch base with kindered spirits I have all of Ft. Bragg, this forum, military.com, and my son who is on active duty with the 10th Mountain Division.
5th Mobile Army Surgical Hospital, 5th Forward Surgical Element, Fort Bragg NC, DS/DS Oct 90 to Apr 91

bilbo37
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 3rd Battalion (ATC), 58th Aviation

Post by bilbo37 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:13 am

I have been thinking about joining one of the local ones.. Though every time I go in, it is all about drinking... I can't stand cigarette smoke.. Makes it hard to want to join one of these organizations....
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 2nd Brigade 1st Infantry Division

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:19 am

bilbo37 wrote:I can't stand cigarette smoke.. Makes it hard to want to join one of these organizations....
That's the primary reason I make no effort to go join.
Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
(12/91 - present) - miss the service
(9/90 - 12/91) 2nd Bde 1st Infantry Division - Desert Shield / Desert Storm Combat VET
(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET
(4/88 - 9/88) AIT Fort Gordon, Ga
(12/87 - 3/88) Basic Training Fort Jackson, SC
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell
"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton
bilbo37
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by bilbo37 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:26 am

You know, I would love to go and support the VFW or the Legion.. It seems that it is just too difficult to do so..
Redmaxx
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Redmaxx » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:03 pm

The VFW is what you make of it (like the military). If you go in with the attitude that everyone there is a drunk and smokes then that is all that you will see. This is my third time in the VFW (and last because I am a Life member now) and I went into it with a positive attitude. I know that I have gotten really pissed off at some of the members and some of the things that they have done but just like the military I wouldn't change anything about the experience. You don't have to drink, if your Post isn't very active find one that is and transfer. I have belonged to a total of two Posts and I like the second one much better than the first.
B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.
SSR Platoon
bilbo37
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by bilbo37 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:19 pm

Redmaxx wrote:The VFW is what you make of it (like the military). If you go in with the attitude that everyone there is a drunk and smokes then that is all that you will see. This is my third time in the VFW (and last because I am a Life member now) and I went into it with a positive attitude. I know that I have gotten really pissed off at some of the members and some of the things that they have done but just like the military I wouldn't change anything about the experience. You don't have to drink, if your Post isn't very active find one that is and transfer. I have belonged to a total of two Posts and I like the second one much better than the first.

Well, I guess that I will look into it some more then...
Rickey Nelson
Senior Vet

Post by Rickey Nelson » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:20 pm

Here at my post if you want to smoke you have to go outside. They can rant and rave all they want but they still have to go outside.

16th support group
4th Trans Batt.
1087 Trans Co.
Road Warrior
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G.I.
Redmaxx
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Redmaxx » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:44 pm

I am trying to push for that at my Post. The State of Michigan is trying to pass a law that says you can't smoke inside any public building. I hope that it passes.
B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.
SSR Platoon
rodneyw71
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by rodneyw71 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:43 pm

I re-newed my membership for 2008, but am not going to participate in any of the post activities. I have to much going on now, and don't have time for the bickering.
KI. Sawyer AFB, MI. '92