Veterans Urged to Wear Military Medals on Veterans Day

Please visit this area and participate in various diffrent topics of discussion.
Hawk
Soldier
Your Gulf War Unit: Please add your Unit

Post by Hawk » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:59 am

http://www.emilitary.org/article.php?aid=8746

Donna Miles, American Forces Press Service
2006-11-07

WASHINGTON, Nov. 6, 2006 – With National Veterans Awareness Week under way and the national Veterans Day observance on Nov. 11, the Veterans Affairs secretary is urging all veterans to show their pride by wearing their military medals.

R. James Nicholson’s “Veterans Pride” initiative calls on veterans to wear the medals they earned while in uniform this Veterans Day to “let America know who you are and what you did for freedom,” he said.

The campaign is modeled after a tradition in Australia and New Zealand, countries that honor the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps, or ANZAC, every April 25. The observance originally commemorated more than 8,000 Australians killed during the battle of Gallipoli during World War I, but now honors all Australian and New Zealand veterans.

Last year, while attending ANZAC ceremonies in Sydney, Nicholson said he was struck to see all the veterans and surviving family members wearing their military medals and campaign ribbons.

“It focused public pride and attention on those veterans as individuals with personal histories of service and sacrifice for the common good,” he noted in a message to veterans. “That is why I am calling on America’s veterans to wear their military medals this Veterans Day, Nov. 11, 2006.”

Nicholson and leaders of major veterans groups announced the initiative during an Oct. 18 ceremony here at the VA headquarters.

Wearing their medals, he said, “will demonstrate the deep pride our veterans have in their military service and bring Veterans Day home to all American citizens.”

“We expect Americans will see our decorated heroes unite in spirit at ceremonies, in parades and elsewhere as a compelling symbol of courage and sacrifice on Veterans Day, the day we set aside to thank those who served and safeguarded our national security,” Nicholson said at the ceremony.

Nicholson and the veterans group leaders hope to start a new tradition in which U.S. veterans wear their military medals every Veterans Day, Memorial Day and Fourth of July.

More information about the Veterans Pride campaign is posted on the VA Web site. The site also helps veterans determine where to go to replace lost medals or to confirm which decorations they’re entitled to wear.

Hawk 8) [/b]
I am only one but I am one. I can not do everything but I can Do something And because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do What I can do I should do And what I should do by the grace of God I will do. Edward E. Hale
SaucyWench
Lifer
Your Gulf War Unit: "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!"

Post by SaucyWench » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:03 am

I'm sorry, but to me that just seems inappropriate. I guess too long exposed to regulation manuals to think it's ok to wear medals on civies. I have worn the complete classA for parades a couple times and one time our church had a special recognition day. tehehe... my dad couldn't fit into his!
Dispacther
Senior Vet
Your Gulf War Unit: HHC 43rd CSG / 1st Cav

Post by Dispacther » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:57 am

However the FM 25-1 (?) has complete regulations for how a veteran is to wear uniform parts and medals on civilian attire . You could look it up at DOD on-line . I like the idea , but this year I'll be at a reinasance (?) festival wearing a great kilt from the 9th century (?) , I think it would be inappropriate to wear them in "Garb" .
Ft McClealan AL 09/83-11/83,
Ft Gordon GA 11/83-02/84
Ft Stewart GA 02/84-06/86
Binge drinking college student 06/86-10/88
N.C.N.G. 07/86-10/88
Ft Carson CO 10/88-9/91
HQ AFNorth 10/91-11/93
rodneyw71
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 354th TFW

Post by rodneyw71 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:38 pm

Does anybody have a link to the web site that has the regulations on wearing medals on our clothes.
Desert Storm, KFIA, Dec. '90- May '91
RAF Alconbury, UK. '90-'92
KI. Sawyer AFB, MI. '92
434th ARW/LRS, Grissom ARB, IN. 2007-Present
OIF 506th ELRS, Kirkuk, Iraq Sept. '09-Jan. '10
Dispacther
Senior Vet
Your Gulf War Unit: HHC 43rd CSG / 1st Cav

Post by Dispacther » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:07 pm

Go to the bar and grill .
Try http://www.marlowwhite.com/army-AR-670-1view.html
It a HTML which might work better for you.
Ft McClealan AL 09/83-11/83,
Ft Gordon GA 11/83-02/84
Ft Stewart GA 02/84-06/86
Binge drinking college student 06/86-10/88
N.C.N.G. 07/86-10/88
Ft Carson CO 10/88-9/91
HQ AFNorth 10/91-11/93
Redmaxx
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.

Re: Veterans Urged to Wear Military Medals on Veterans Day

Post by Redmaxx » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:15 pm

Here it is right from AR670-1 (dated Feb 2005):

30–6. Wear of medals on civilian clothes
Retired personnel and former members of the Army (as described above) may wear all categories of medals described
in this regulation on appropriate civilian clothing. This includes clothes designed for veteran and patriotic organizations
on Veteran’s Day, Memorial Day, and Armed Forces Day, as well as at formal occasions of ceremony and social
functions of a military nature. Personnel may wear either full-size or miniature medals. Personnel who wear medals on
civilian clothes should place the medals on the clothing in approximately the same location and in the same manner as
for the Army uniform, so they look similar to medals worn on the Army uniform.
B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.
SSR Platoon
Operation Desert Shield/Storm/Cease Fire 1990/1991