Desert Storm Bar and Grille

Please visit this area and participate in various diffrent topics of discussion.
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 2nd Brigade 1st Infantry Division

Re: Desert Storm Bar and Grille

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:38 am

Here is some updated info on Vet perks this week.

Restaurants:

Wednesday, November 11: Applebee's - Veterans and Active Duty Military Eat Free
o You will need proof of Military Service, which includes your ID cards, an LES, veteran organization card, photo in uniform, wearing uniform, DD214, or citation or commendation.
o There is a limited free menu.
http://www.applebees.com/vetsDay/default.aspx

Wednesday, November 11: Outback Steakhouse
Valid Veteran and Active Duty Identification:
o U.S. Uniform Services Identification Card
o U.S. Uniform Services Retired Identification Card
o Current Leave and Earnings Statement (LES)
o Veterans Organization Card (VFW, American Legion)
o Photograph in Uniform
o Wearing Uniform
http://www.outback.com/companyinfo/veteransday2009.aspx

Wednesday, November 11: Uno Chicago Grill - Free entree or individual pizza with the purchase of an entree or pizza of equal or greater value.
o No coupon is necessary.
o Veterans or active Military can either show up in uniform, or with a picture of themselves in uniform, or with a Military or veteran's ID.
http://www.unos.com/vet1.html

Monday, November 16: Golden Corral - Military Appreciation Monday Free "Thank You" Dinner from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m.
o No identification is required.
http://www.goldencorral.com/military/

Amusement Parks:

November 6 - 11: Colonial Williamsburg - Free Admission for Veterans
o Free admission passes will be issued to active duty military, guard and reservists, retirees, veterans, and their dependent.
o The service member does not need to be present, and free passes will be provided to immediate family members of currently deployed troops with appropriate identification.
o You will need to bring a copy of your honorable discharge paperwork as identification of service.
o On Veterans Day, a military parade honoring America's veterans will be held at 4:30 p.m. and will begin at the Capitol.
o These tickets are available only at Colonial Williamsburg on-site ticket sales windows.
http://williamsburgsrealestate.com/2009 ... -military/

November 1 - 26: Knott's Berry Farm - Veteran's Promotion, Free Admission
o Free park admission for service member and a guest. Up to six additional tickets can be purchased for $15 each.
o Military ID or DD214 required for discount.
http://www.knotts.com/public/admission/prices/deals.cfm

Retail:

November 6 - 11: Lowe's - 10% discount for veterans and their immediate family members
o The discount is available on in-stock and special order purchases up to $5,000.
o You will need to present a valid military ID or other proof of service.
o Excluded from the discount are sales via Lowes.com, previous sales, and purchases of services or gift cards.

November 6 - 12: Home Depot - 10% discount for veterans and their immediate family members
o The offer is valid on purchases of up to $2,000 for a maximum of $200 at The Home Depot stores, The Home Depot Design Center locations, Yardbirds, and EXPO Design Center(R) locations.

Wednesday, November 11: Dollar General - 10% discount for all veterans, active duty military, National Guard and Reserve, and their immediate families
o The Dollar General Veterans Day coupon can be found in the Nov. 1 Dollar General advertising circular in stores or by asking a Dollar General sales associate for the coupon.
http://investor.shareholder.com/dollar/ ... eID=420756
Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
(12/91 - present) - miss the service
(9/90 - 12/91) 2nd Bde 1st Infantry Division - Desert Shield / Desert Storm Combat VET
(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET
(4/88 - 9/88) AIT Fort Gordon, Ga
(12/87 - 3/88) Basic Training Fort Jackson, SC
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell
"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:23 pm

THE MUSIC STOPPED

For those who are unaware: At all military base theaters, the National Anthem is played before the movie begins.

This is written by a Chaplain in Iraq :

I recently attended a showing of 'Superman 3' here at LSA Anaconda. We have a large auditorium we use for movies, as well as memorial services and other large gatherings. As is the custom at all military bases, we stood to attention when the National Anthem began before the main feature. All was going well until three-quarters of the way through The National Anthem, the music stopped.

Now, what would happen if this occurred with 1,000 18-22 year-olds back in the States? I imagine there would be hoots, catcalls, laughter, a few rude comments, and everyone would sit down and yell for the movie to begin. Of course, that is, if they had stood for the National Anthem in the first place.

Here in Iraq , 1,000 Soldiers continued to stand at attention, eyes fixed forward. The music started again and the Soldiers continued to quietly stand at attention. But again, at the same point, the music stopped. What would you expect 1,000 Soldiers standing at attention to do?? Frankly, I expected some laughter, and everyone would eventually sit down and wait for the movie to start.

But No!!... You could have heard a pin drop, while every Soldier continued to stand at attention. Suddenly, there was a lone voice from the front of the auditorium, then a dozen voices, and soon the room was filled with the voices of a thousand soldiers, finishing where the recording left off: "And the rockets red glare, the bombs bursting in air, gave proof through the night that our flag was still there. Oh, say does that Star Spangled Banner yet wave, o'er the land of the free, and the home of the brave."It was the most inspiring moment I have had in Iraq and I wanted you to know what kind of Soldiers are serving you. Remember them as they fight for us!

Pass this along as a reminder to others to be ever in prayer for all our soldiers serving us here at home and abroad. Many have already paid the ultimate price.

Written by Chaplain Jim Higgins

LSA Anaconda is at the Ballad Airport in Iraq, north of Baghdad
Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
(9/90 - 12/91) 2nd Bde 1st Infantry Division - Desert Shield / Desert Storm Combat VET
(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell
- General George Patton
Redmaxx
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.

Post by Redmaxx » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:48 pm

Happy Veteran's Day to all my brothers and sisters. I know that I am a day early but I don't think that i will be on here tomorrow.
B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.
SSR Platoon
Operation Desert Shield/Storm/Cease Fire 1990/1991
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:46 am

This is your day Brothers & Sisters. I salute all of you.

Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
-George Orwell
- General George Patton
Redleg13f2h
Soldier
Your Gulf War Unit: HHB 2/1 FA 1ST AD

Post by Redleg13f2h » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:28 pm

HHB 2/1 FA 1ST AD, 4/70 AR FIST, Pinder Brrks 90-91
260th FA DET FIST/ Air Assault Instructor, Fort Rucker 91-92
HHT 2/11 ACR, Wildflecken 92-93
HHB 1/5 FA 1ST ID, Fort Riley 93-94
HHB 1/119 FA, 3/126 AAS, Michigan National Gaurd 94-97
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:30 am

I have worked in the Financial Aid / Veteran Affairs office at my local Community College for the last 12 years. I take care of not only everyday typical college students but Veterans returning to college and Vets coming to college for the 1st time. We have seen a 20% increase in vets coming to college in just the last year, many of whom are either just out or on terminal leave. Its nice to see that many of these guys getting out after all the shit they have been through are continuing on, educating themselves, not closing themselves up and doing nothing with their lives.

We welcome every vet that comes into the office with open arms and we are eager to help them get moving along with their benefits. I try to get them all to file for Federal Financial Aid also even though they will be turned down because of all that Uncle Sam $$$$ they have been getting. I guide them through a process that recalculates their eligibility for aid taking into consideration that the vet no longer receives that Uncle Sam $$$$ . In almost every case, the vet then qualifies for Full Financial Aid (including grant money that they do not have to pay back as long as they actually attend and pass the classes).

NOW, with all that said. IF you know of any vets that have gotten out of the service within the last 10 years, seriously urge them to consider going to college and using their benefits. The new Post 9/11 G.I. Bill takes care of the vets quite a bit better then the older Chapter 30 Montgomery GI Bill. In most cases, these vets not only get their books, fees, and tuition paid directly by the VA each term but they also get E-5 BAH each month too.

Lets keep these warriors from getting out and flipping burgers or worse yet, feeling like they have no purpose anymore and get them involved. Many colleges have Vet groups/clubs on campus that are made up of other veterans, they take care of the new guys coming into the college and take care of each other while they are there. I went to a VA Conference a couple of weeks ago at the University of South Florida in Tampa Florida and there is a serious push to get Vets involved in college and the people at USF have a very large and involved Veterans Group that operates out of the University Veteran Affairs office. It is run by the VA College Work Studies and even has a University Staff member involved in it to oversee anything college related that requires some kind of University involvement for legal reasons.

Pass the word to your fellow vets.

Have a great Thursday ya'll and a better Holiday coming up.

DAGGER X-RAY OUT
Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
-George Orwell
- General George Patton
FA1SGret
Lifer
Your Gulf War Unit: 3rd Bn 17th Field Artillery

Post by FA1SGret » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:54 am

Dagger ... I probably don't have to tell you this, but you are making a difference for the veterans you assist ... and I salute YOU for it.

My son is a post 9/11 veteran, but doesn't get much help from the university he is attending. Each semester I hear the same story about how the university staff don't give a shit about his veteran's benefits and how he has to fight them over and over again to get them to do their job and process his financial aid.

He's so frustrated that he has stopped submitting for his financial aid and is paying the costs himself ... which works but isn't right ... he shouldn't have to fight and argue to get his financial aid.

The reason I post this is not to complain, but to let you know that your committment to veterans is note worthy and much appreciated.

Demonstrated concern ... gotta love it ... thank you!
Desert Shield/Desert Storm/Cease Fire
3rd Bn 17th Field Artillery
210th FA Bde
DS (OPCON) 3/2 ACR, GS 1 ID
FIRE MISSION!
Redmaxx
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Redmaxx » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:31 am

Welcome to Friday. I hope that everyone has a great weekend. Be safe.
B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.
SSR Platoon
FA1SGret
Lifer

Post by FA1SGret » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:30 pm

Back at ya on the great weekend.
210th FA Bde
FIRE MISSION!
redfish
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 24th Infantry Division, 197th Infantry Brigage, 72 Engr Co.

Post by redfish » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:31 pm

Golly Olly.. Is this bar closed on the weekend? Feels like someone left the door open but the bar is closed. No music, no fights, no laughing and the coffee is "nicely matured" . I'll crank out a fresh pot but a fellar gets tired of sittin' amongst himself playin solitaire till dawn with a deck of 51.....
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
197th Infantry 72 ENGR CO
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"
FA1SGret
Lifer

Post by FA1SGret » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:47 pm

Here ya ... but aint got much to add.
210th FA Bde
FIRE MISSION!
redfish
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 24th Infantry Division, 197th Infantry Brigage, 72 Engr Co.

Post by redfish » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:52 pm

I spent some time in missouri back in early 80's. I was in high school. We lived in Gatewood. It's down close to Doniphan and Poplar Bluff. Loved the country great for youngin. Lots of fishing. Economy poor down that way not much industry. Nice place to retire. Used to float the 11 point river a lot.
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
197th Infantry 72 ENGR CO
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"
rodneyw71
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 354th TFW

Post by rodneyw71 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:29 am

Hey all, just checking in, and seeing how everybody is doing, going good here, cant wait to get the hell out of here, hopefully the middle of January I'll be home. Just wanted to say hope everybody has a happY Thanksgiving. :D
Desert Storm, KFIA, Dec. '90- May '91
RAF Alconbury, UK. '90-'92
KI. Sawyer AFB, MI. '92
434th ARW/LRS, Grissom ARB, IN. 2007-Present
OIF 506th ELRS, Kirkuk, Iraq Sept. '09-Jan. '10
Redmaxx
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Redmaxx » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:37 pm

Glad to hear that you are ok Rodney. I hope that you will be back soon. Keep your head (and @$$) down. Happy Thanksgiving to you too.
B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.
SSR Platoon
Redmaxx
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Redmaxx » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:19 am

Take a little advice from a very old geezer, young man. Shape up and start acting like an American. If you don't, I'll do what I can to see you get shipped out of that fancy rental on Pennsylvania Avenue. You were elected to lead not to bow, apologize and kiss the hands of murderers and corrupt leaders who still treat their people like slaves.

And just who do you think you are telling the American people not to jump to conclusions and condemn that Muslim major who killed 13 of his fellow soldiers and wounded dozens more. You mean you don't want us to do what you did when that white cop used force to subdue that black college professor in Massachusetts, who was putting up a fight? You don't mind offending the police calling them stupid but you don't want us to offend Muslim fanatics by calling them what they are, terrorists.

One more thing. I realize you never served in the military and never had to defend your country with your life, but you're the Commander-in-Chief now, son. Do your job. When your battle-hardened field General asks you for 40,000 more troops to complete the mission, give them to him. But if you're not in this fight to win, then get out. The life of one American soldier is not worth the best political strategy you're thinking of.

You could be our greatest president because you face the greatest challenge ever presented to any president. You're not going to restore American greatness by bringing back our bloated economy. That's not our greatest threat. Losing the heart and soul of who we are as Americans is our big fight now. And I sure as hell don't want to think my president is the enemy in this final battle.

Sincerely,
Harold B. Estes

When a 95 year old hero of the "the Greatest Generation" stands up and speaks out like this, I think we owe it to him to send his words to as many Americans as we can. Please pass it on.
B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.
SSR Platoon