Desert Storm Bar and Grille

Please visit this area and participate in various diffrent topics of discussion.
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 2nd Brigade 1st Infantry Division

Re: Desert Storm Bar and Grille

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:39 pm

10 TOUGH FACTS ABOUT COMBAT

*FACT 1: FEAR IN COMBAT IS COMMON: EVEN HEROES FEEL FEAR
Over 2/3s of Silver Star recipients reported increased fear as battle progressed. Common symptoms of fear are violent shaking or trembling, losing control of bladder, feeling weak, cold sweats, vomiting. No Soldier knows how he or she will perform in combat until the moment arrives.

*FACT 2: UNIT MEMBERS WILL BE INJURED AND KILLED
Close to 4000 Service Members have been killed and tens of thousands have been injured since OIF/OEF began. Innocent civilians, including women and children, will also be injured and killed.

*FACT 3: THERE WILL BE COMMUNICATION BREAKDOWNS
Soldiers reports that deployment policies are often inconsistently applied and the flow of information is poor or slow. Rumors often fill the void where facts should be.

*FACT 4: SOLDIERS FREQUENTLY PERCEIVE FAILURES IN LEADERSHIP
Soldiers report that leaders frequently engage in actions to enhance their career and personal well-being that they fail to exhibit clear thinking and reasonable action when under stress. The better the leadership, the higher the morale and group cohesion. This leads to better overall mental health of the members of the unit.

*FACT 5: COMBAT IMPACTS EVERY SOLDIER MENTALLY AND EMOTIONALLY: COMBAT STRESS IS A COMBAT INJURY
All Soldiers are affected by combat. Combat and operational stress symptoms occur when a Soldier becomes overloaded with the stressors of combat and can be physical, mental, and / or behavioral.

*FACT 6: COMBAT CAN LEAD TO LASTING MENTAL HEALTH ISSUES: ASKING FOR HELP REQUIRES A DEEPER KIND OF COURAGE
Combat Stress, Acute Stress, and Post-Traumatic Stress are all on the continuum of stress reactions to combat zone experiences. Symptoms include being easily angered or agitated, nightmares, intrusive memories, thoughts, or flashbacks, feeling numb or frozen. In trying to manage these symptoms alone, Service Members will often try to medicate themselves with alcohol or illegal drugs, which, unfortunately, only worsens the overall situation.

*FACT 7: SOLDIERS ARE AFRAID TO ADMIT THEY HAVE A MENTAL HEALTH ISSUE: NEEDING HELP IS NOT A CHARACTER FLAW
Based on the Army’s most recent Mental Health Assessment study (May 2007), the majority of soldiers who need help will not seek it because of fear of stigma, backlash, loss of respect from leadership or comrades.

FACT 8: DEPLOYMENT PLACES A TREMENDOUS STRAIN ON FAMILIES
Family Readiness Groups are effective in some communities and completely absent in others. Yet every family facing deployment needs support. Marital problems and family concerns are a huge stressor to the Soldier, as well.

*FACT 9: THE COMBAT ENVIRONMENT IS HARSH, DEMANDING, AND CHANGING EVERY DAY
Combat is sudden, intense, and life-threatening. It takes a tremendous toll on the body, mind and spirit. Every human being has basic physical and psychological requirements, such as getting adequate sleep, nutrition, hydration, and decompression time. These are not luxuries, they are necessities for the Soldier to remain physically and mentally strong.

*FACT 10: COMBAT POSES MORAL, ETHICAL, AND SPIRITUAL CHALLENGES ON EVEN THE HARDIEST SOLDIER
Because of the enormous pressures and emotional strain that war places on every Soldier, impulsive reactions towards others, both living and dead, can lead to conduct that the Soldier later has profound guilt and regret over. Battlefield ethics are not only to prevent escalation of an incident; they are also there to prevent moral, ethical, and spiritual injury to the Soldier. Every Soldier needs to come home with a war story the he or she can live with.

Adapted from US Army’s WRAIR Land Combat Study brochure, "10 Tough Facts About Combat, and What Leaders Can Do to Mitigate Risk and Build Resilience," 27 MAR 06.
For more information on the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research and the WRAIR Land Combat Study, the POCs are COL Carl Castro (carl.castro@us.army.mil) and COL Charles Hoge
Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
(12/91 - present) - miss the service
(9/90 - 12/91) 2nd Bde 1st Infantry Division - Desert Shield / Desert Storm Combat VET
(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET
(4/88 - 9/88) AIT Fort Gordon, Ga
(12/87 - 3/88) Basic Training Fort Jackson, SC
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell
"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton
redfish
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 24th Infantry Division, 197th Infantry Brigage, 72 Engr Co.

Post by redfish » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:35 am

Well, I though about 8 months ago I would try one of my Uncle's medications he has been using since 'Nam. I tried smoking marijuana to help with my demons. It seemed to help! Then after some time and a high grocery bill, I discovered that it made it worse. It made my depression worse by cutting my energy to do things even more and caused my interest in life even less. Thought for a while man it was the stuff. It turned out not. My hope now is the therapy. The meds help take off the edge but I hope the therapy can make the past be the past. So if any one out there is considering mary jane, it only helps for a short time. Then it made me worse.
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
197th Infantry 72 ENGR CO
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"
xrammyx
Vet
Your Gulf War Unit: 1st Armored Division HHB 6/3 ADA

Post by xrammyx » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:26 am

redfish wrote:Well, I though about 8 months ago I would try one of my Uncle's medications he has been using since 'Nam. I tried smoking marijuana to help with my demons. It seemed to help! Then after some time and a high grocery bill, I discovered that it made it worse. It made my depression worse by cutting my energy to do things even more and caused my interest in life even less. Thought for a while man it was the stuff. It turned out not. My hope now is the therapy. The meds help take off the edge but I hope the therapy can make the past be the past. So if any one out there is considering mary jane, it only helps for a short time. Then it made me worse.

I think I am same position, I totally had to change meds right now, never done MJ probably never will, I just feel like going crazy somedays, but I did join a group and have been doing some weekly groups to cope, but I think its not helping yet, not sure what I want to do right now..
HHB 6/3 ADA
Schwabach, Germany
Desert Shield/Storm
redfish
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by redfish » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:29 am

Hey Frank, aint seen ya ina while. I know what ya mean. I flipped through the meds a lot. Finally seemed to have settled on rispiridone and welbutrin. Zoloft was not for me but I was on a bunch at that time so I hope it helps ya. Group was weekly for me for 4 months then monthly. I do one on one therapy now weekly and see the psych doc monthly. My wife and I are gonna do couple therapy at the VA monthly starting next month. We hope the couple therapy will help her handle me. This gorilla on me has been hard for the entire family.
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"
xrammyx
Vet

Post by xrammyx » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:34 am

redfish wrote:Hey Frank, aint seen ya ina while. I know what ya mean. I flipped through the meds a lot. Finally seemed to have settled on rispiridone and welbutrin. Zoloft was not for me but I was on a bunch at that time so I hope it helps ya. Group was weekly for me for 4 months then monthly. I do one on one therapy now weekly and see the psych doc monthly. My wife and I are gonna do couple therapy at the VA monthly starting next month. We hope the couple therapy will help her handle me. This gorilla on me has been hard for the entire family.
btw Red, I am not good with names anymore like I used to be, I know you said your name but I think I need to see it a few times so I can remember, more than likely I will write it down :)
Yes its been a while, dealing with family and I have a special needs soon, which does not help with PTSD at all, so that's why I am trying a new med and hope it works.
Oh BTW, I have lost my short term memory and I finally realize it ugh and its really frustrating, but I have been seeing the brain docs and speech people to help figure out a way to gain it back or do different things to help out, but I am still a little frustrated.

Hope everyone is having a great day!
HHB 6/3 ADA
Schwabach, Germany
Desert Shield/Storm
redfish
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by redfish » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:11 pm

Name's Adam. Yea Short term memory is something I suffer from with ya. Wish I knew the cure for the PTSD and everything.
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"
xrammyx
Vet

Post by xrammyx » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:15 pm

redfish wrote:Name's Adam. Yea Short term memory is something I suffer from with ya. Wish I knew the cure for the PTSD and everything.
Yes Adam, many of us wish there was cure, like an on off button, to shut it off for good....
HHB 6/3 ADA
Schwabach, Germany
Desert Shield/Storm
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 2nd Brigade 1st Infantry Division

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:42 am

Well, I fiiiiiiiiiiiinally filed for my disability after being out for 19 years. Time to see if I was too much of a guy when I was in and "shook it off" and still hurt all these years because of it. The VSO and I discussed all my issues and which ones I could apply for and which ones I couldn't since I had never went to see a doctor about it while I was in the Army.

Now I have to request copies of civilian med records for my ears, hypertension, and rashes on my legs to help back my claim.
Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
(12/91 - present) - miss the service
(9/90 - 12/91) 2nd Bde 1st Infantry Division - Desert Shield / Desert Storm Combat VET
(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET
(4/88 - 9/88) AIT Fort Gordon, Ga
(12/87 - 3/88) Basic Training Fort Jackson, SC
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell
"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton
xrammyx
Vet

Post by xrammyx » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:30 pm

Dagger X-Ray wrote:Well, I fiiiiiiiiiiiinally filed for my disability after being out for 19 years. Time to see if I was too much of a guy when I was in and "shook it off" and still hurt all these years because of it. The VSO and I discussed all my issues and which ones I could apply for and which ones I couldn't since I had never went to see a doctor about it while I was in the Army.

Now I have to request copies of civilian med records for my ears, hypertension, and rashes on my legs to help back my claim.

Great job Dagger! just remember sometimes it can be frustrating, but hang in there....
HHB 6/3 ADA
Schwabach, Germany
Desert Shield/Storm
Rickey Nelson
Senior Vet
Your Gulf War Unit: 1087th Trans Co.

Post by Rickey Nelson » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:02 pm

HAPPY VETERANS DAY to everyone...
DESERT SHIELD/STORM NOV 90-JUN 91

16th support group
4th Trans Batt.
1087 Trans Co.
Road Warrior
SSG Retired..... 1976-1997
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you.
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G.I.
"One died for your soul, the other for your freedom!"
Life Member VFW Post 9573
xrammyx
Vet

Post by xrammyx » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:07 pm

Happy Veterans Day Everyone! may we have many more!
HHB 6/3 ADA
Schwabach, Germany
Desert Shield/Storm
redfish
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by redfish » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:46 am

HAPPY VETERANS DAY BROTHERS AND SISTERS!
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"
Redleg13f2h
Soldier
Your Gulf War Unit: HHB 2/1 FA 1ST AD

Post by Redleg13f2h » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:09 am

Happy Veterans Day Fellas. Looks like most are having good weather today. Got the DC ceremony on the tube in the background here at work today. One of the few days of the year that those of us that have to work holidays, get paid what they're worth.
HHB 2/1 FA 1ST AD, 4/70 AR FIST, Pinder Brrks 90-91
260th FA DET FIST/ Air Assault Instructor, Fort Rucker 91-92
HHT 2/11 ACR, Wildflecken 92-93
HHB 1/5 FA 1ST ID, Fort Riley 93-94
HHB 1/119 FA, 3/126 AAS, Michigan National Gaurd 94-97
lmsnh
Vet
Your Gulf War Unit: 400th MP BN, 800th MP Bde

Post by lmsnh » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:22 am

Hope everyone enjoyed their Veteran's Day! It was a nice relaxing one for me....for once.
Little Sis,

SFC Lynn M. Santosuosso
U.S. Army
VFW Post 1772
Desert Shield/Storm 1990-1991,
400th MP BN, 800th MP Bde

Ft Dix, NJ BCT, 1980
Lowry AFB Denver, CO, 1981
Ft Benning, GA, 1983
Ft Devens, MA, 1985
Ft Meade, MD, 1990
76th Div, USAR. 1992-1997
xrammyx
Vet

Post by xrammyx » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:13 am

mine was ok, still thinking about my buddy how i wish he was still here celebrating with us also..did go out to applebees and got the 7oz and hung out with other veterans and i got my picture taken with the employees there, there were great to us veterans...
HHB 6/3 ADA
Schwabach, Germany
Desert Shield/Storm